When did the Funi in house cast truly stop imitating the ocean group actors?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

When did the Funi in house cast truly stop imitating the ocean group actors?

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm

I know most think it only lasted for the freeza arc but honestly I don't think Sabat fully dropped his drummond impression until the buu arc? What say you?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: When did the Funi in house cast truly stop imitating the ocean group actors?

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Schemmel said he stopped imitating Corlette and Kelamis by the time Goku turned Super Saiyan.

Sonny Strait never did imitate Klassen
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Re: When did the Funi in house cast truly stop imitating the ocean group actors?

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:54 am

I agree that Sabat’s Vegeta stayed very “Drummond-esque” for a long time.

Another voice that sounded like an Ocean Dub impression for a long time was Dale Kelly as the Narrator.

Of course Sabat and Kyle Hebert went back over those parts, respectively, for the remastered release, so the only time those inconsistencies show is really when you watch the singles.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 pm

I felt like Sabat started to gradually phase out his Drummond impression around the mid Cell saga. His voice became deeper little by little.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Schemmel's voice for King Kai is still basically an impression of Don Brown's to this day, to be honest.
Stephanie Nadolny's kid Goku/kid Gohan voice was always basically an impression of Saffron Henderson's. Same goes for Linda Young's Freeza to Pauline Newstone's.
Burter's several Funi voices are all basically the same Don Brown-esque voice.

I think it depends on the voice. Some voices, like the ones I mentioned just above, have always been basically impressions of the Canadian voices, and to be hoenst, if they were like that by the end of the Z dub, they're unlikely to ever change unless you get a recast who takes the voice in a different direction, like kid Gohan/kid Goku, or Freeza. Others were their own thing from the beginning(Krillin, for example).

So it really depends on which character you're talking about.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 pm

I remember reading somewhere that initially Sonny Strait had the Klassen-voice down pat, but Barry Watson wanted him to toughen up the voice.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 am

DrBriefsCat wrote:I remember reading somewhere that initially Sonny Strait had the Klassen-voice down pat, but Barry Watson wanted him to toughen up the voice.
Apparently, during his early auditions, and at the start of his first recording session, that's basically what he did, but everything that actually made it into the series was after he'd toughened it up.

Full story is here, starts at the paragraph reading "Jon: How did you come to work for FUNimation, and Krillin more specifically?"
Formatting is a little odd, and I really wish there was an audio version of this, but there you go.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 pm

OMG that Donald Duck story. So Sonny Strait is the American Carlos Celestre lol. DONALD DUCK FTW!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: