Opinions on the Dragon Ball films

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Opinions on the Dragon Ball films

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:17 pm

I mean DB movies #1 to #3 (though I guess you can include Path to Power, since it's the same kind of movie) that retell the series' story in a different way. How do you feel they compare to the equivalent story arcs of the anime/manga?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Opinions on the Dragon Ball films

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:I mean DB movies #1 to #3 (though I guess you can include Path to Power, since it's the same kind of movie) that retell the series' story in a different way. How do you feel they compare to the equivalent story arcs of the anime/manga?
I really like the second movie, because it turns a simple task from muten roshi into a large grand adventure.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

1 was ok, didn't care for 2 and 3. Movie 4 is one of my favorite pieces of Dragon Ball material. I honestly enjoyed it more than its corresponding arcs in the original series. Not to mention from an artistic standpoint I enjoy the GT era character designs over that of the original series.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:52 pm

The Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle was great. In fact, its own take on a small episode in movie form was the best thing about it, because it deserved to be its own piece of entertainment, unlike the first and third movies, which were too similar and too cluttered (respectively). I would compare these movies to the Master System Sonic the Hedgehog games: the first one was too close to its Mega Drive original, and because it could not be better than the latter, the former was not worth it. However, you could consider Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System) its own thing, due to the main game being different enough and having come out later. Sonic Chaos is just as the name implies in comparison to Mystical Adventure: cluttered.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm

3 feels the most like DB to me. 1 and 2 are good but they feel like DB and another element that's not really DB. 2 felt like a horror movie combined with DB, and 1 combined DB with an environmental message. I don't think 3 felt cluttered. It combined a lot of elements pretty damn well. Okay, the fight against Tao Pai Pai felt a tad rushed, but otherwise it moved well. Despite 4 having 80 or so minutes to tell a story feels VERY rushed. Movie 3 gives a good amount of focus to Tenshinhan and Chaozu, so the emotion lands. Movie 2 is basically two episodes combined with a horror movie and to be honest, it's boring.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Movie 3 combined so many elements that it had to go through an identity wash off, which is ironic, considering that it is "the most Dragon Ball-esque movie". Toriyama drew inspiration from eastern elements, but I don't think that he wanted it to be literally (as in looking exactly like) a Chinese tale, without it being an actual journey. Movie 2 had the characters as they were in a different situation. They changed their roles to fit the concept of Movie 3.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 pm

I only really like DBZ Movie 2, DBZ Movie 5, DBZ Movie 6, and DBZ Movie 13.

I also liked Path to Power.

The rest are meh to me...
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:14 pm

I meant most like DB in terms of feel. Movie 2 feels like a horror movie, which isn't DB at all. Lucifer doesn't have the feel of a DB villain. Movie 3 is the most colorful and fun.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:24 pm

I like all three, and I love that they collectively form a pretty complete story.

First movie was good, not great.
Second was goddamn awesome. I love this movie so much; it's completely off the hook bonkers, and I love that.
Third was pretty good.

Been far too long since I saw the fourth one to make any real judgements on it, but I remember enjoying it a lot, it's absolutely beautiful(Not that the other three don't look amazing; they do, but #4 really takes the cake), and the music is fantastic.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm

None of them were really any good. The third one was the best of the bunch though. The second one was probably the worst Dragon Ball movie in general I suppose.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 am

I used to think the third was the best, but upon my last rewtach, whenever that was, I found it too similar to the main storyline to be very interesting, as it's less clever and engaging than the events it adapts in just about every way. It makes more sense in the context of its release—providing way, at a time when home releases of the anime weren't even a remote possibility, for kids to own at least one animated snippet of their favorite characters and scenes from the manga—than as something to come back to now.

So in that regard, the second, with its genre-blending and memorable atmosphere, is probably the one most deserving of a watch.