Any major opinions of yours that have changed throughout the years? If so what triggered the change?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Any major opinions of yours that have changed throughout the years? If so what triggered the change?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Opinions are great. It is why places exist and allows people to discuss things from different perspectives but the best thing about them? You are not bound by it, you can freely change it.

I am curious what major opinions of you guys have changed throughout the years and as the title also suggests is there any reason you think of what triggered such change?

I'll start (obviously):

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai dub is actually good:

I was basically fed into the whole Kai dub sucks Z dub is better that plagued the internet especially YT at the time and the simple trigger? Was just giving it a chance and then I realised hey this is actually acted a whole lot better and then slowly became accustomed to it and now pretty much have no problems with the dub.

Dragon Ball Z is not great, especially Toei's adaptation:

Basically, watching the amazing OG DB made me come to the stark realisation that DBZ is not *fun* and I enjoyed DB so much sure DB was serious at times but the fun aspect never left but Z until the Buu arc and especially the Cell arc it is just this murky atmosphere and I am just like ehh. DBS has thankfully continued the fun aspect of DB over, like I don't want everyone to be serious with a stick up their butt sure their universe maybe on the line but if you have to do something you may aswell enjoy yourself and for the likes of Goku that is what he is doing and in turn I am enjoying him enjoying himself. DB is the best when it is being fun simple, Vegeta and a dummy is better then moment he had in the Cell arc for me for example.

Then realising that Toriyama is a genius and never should question him. The big complaints oh the Buu arc fights are short. Take Goku vs Majin Vegeta that was a plot point if anything with the fair more interesting Babida and Dabura vs Shin and Gohan something that matters not some pissy pride fight and so Toriyama is like I won't waste your time with this, Toei dragged it on and it became boring honestly watching the Buu arc via Kai recently I was surprised at how I groaned whenever that fight came back on screen.

Japanese DB doesn't suck:

Like with Kai just fed this JPN DB sucks, Grandma Goku etc etc but what ultimately changed my mind? I guess slowly this place but ultimately I think it was watching unsubbed live streams of DBS that caused it, as with no subs I could fully concentrate on the VA's and eventually became accustomed to them. Now I can flip flop between modern FUNi and JPN no issues.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Any major opinions of yours that have changed throughout the years? If so what triggered the change?

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:51 pm

i used to not enjoy the 22nd TB all that much. I don't know why or what caused me to change my mind. I just came back to it after a few years and I thought, "Wow, this is much better than I remember it." Now it's amongst my favorite arcs in all of DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Any major opinions of yours that have changed throughout the years? If so what triggered the change?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Not really an opinion per-se, but my approach to Dragon Ball has changed quite a lot since visiting this site, and I have a greater appreciation for the story, the world and its characters thanks to the focus on the original Japanese and where it's inspirations and influences come from. I'm still a fan of the DB dub though since that's what I've been imprinted onto (for Z it's Kai, weirdly enough).

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Vegeta.

He was my favorite character when I was watching the show in my younger days. (around 10-12 years old).

Now that I'm back into the series at 23 and re-watching it. I've realized I only really enjoy him when he was a villain... and he became annoying when he was an "ally". (although I moderately enjoy him in Super). His actions in the Cell and Buu arcs infuriated me so much that by the time character development takes hold and he does his sacrifice; my only thought is: "Good riddance."

But because of this, he has gone from my favorite to #10 on my list of favorite characters... and he's really only there because of how strongly written he was in the Saiyan and Namek arcs.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:42 pm

The fact that GT wasnt that bad especially compared to recent abominations

GT was 1st show I rewatched after 6 years hiatus back in 2010. While I liked some parts of Baby & Super 17 fight, I just couldnt whole heartedly appreciate it

Then came Z, followed by DB

And then Kai, Special/OVA's, Kai 2.0, BOG, ROF & Super

Needless to say, I think the list above ^ triggered the change of my perception that GT was at least spiritually connected to Z/DB franchise.

2nd, Boo Arc (anime) is good stand-alone saga in itself. 7 years time-skip prior & 10 years time-skip post Kid Buu fight while still confined within the Majin Boo Arc makes me feel its a solid stand-alone saga instead if making it a continuation from where Cell Games left off

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Here are my old opinions and what made me change them.

Opinion: Cell saga was awesome and Gohan SSJ2 was badass
Trigger: I grew up. Cell saga and Gohan SSJ2 were not badass, they were ass and bad compared to the rest of series back then, not just Z.

Opinion: Japanese voices in DB suck
Trigger: No english dub for DBS made me watch it in japanese and get used to it + i realized how retarded GT in FUNimation version is. It's just awful not only because of music. It basically changed entire plot. I still think Faulconer music is the best tho and i still prefer most of english voices in DB.

Opinion: Fat Buu and Mr Satan are annoying
Trigger: Once again, i grew up. They are one of the best characters in entire franchise.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 pm

ABED wrote:i used to not enjoy the 22nd TB all that much. I don't know why or what caused me to change my mind. I just came back to it after a few years and I thought, "Wow, this is much better than I remember it." Now it's amongst my favorite arcs in all of DB.
It was the opposite for me. I remember being fond of it, then going back and finding it pretty boring.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm

I used to love the Android arc. I thought it was the absolute high point of the series where every single character got a chance to shine equally. Every time I reread the series, though, I end up liking the arc a bit less. Gohan is barely active in the first two thirds despite taking over as the main character in the end, Vegeta dominates way too much of the story, and, if it weren't for those last two Trunks chapters before the start of the Boo arc, I would have felt like Trunks was wasted. While I appreciate how bold the arc is for keeping Goku away for so long, I don't think Toriyama did enough with him and the beginning and the end to satisfy me as a Goku fan.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 pm

I used to feel Vegeta should go to hell for all he did, but some really cool and nice people here made me see that I had no right to judge if someone deserves eternal damnation or not.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:19 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I used to feel Vegeta should go to hell for all he did, but some really cool and nice people here made me see that I had no right to judge if someone deserves eternal damnation or not.
Whether he got redeemed or not is irrelevant to me personally. He caused a good number of problems when he was an ally and he only barely made up for it in my eyes. That still doesn't excuse the fact that he was genocidal mass murderer prior to his arrival on Earth... and the fact that he was basically rewarded with a loving family despite that.

I feel like he should definitely go to Hell whenever his time comes, his life until his death will be enjoyable enough for him anyways.

Of course, I know people will disagree with me on this but meh.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 am

Also I came to the conclusion that I should not condemn other people just because I disagree with them. So you I dont really mind that you feel that way, you are in your right.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Also I came to the conclusion that I should not condemn other people just because I disagree with them. So you I dont really mind that you feel that way, you are in your right.
Well, I don't think anyone is wrong to hold an opinion.

Even if people want to disagree with me then that's great. More room for discussion that way. :thumbup:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 am

Around the time when I was 12-15, I had a major bias against the dub/dub fans. Like if you were a dub fan, and were like, jpn db aint very good, I wouldn't like you. Now I don't really care either way, just cause it's not a big deal, like, at all, lol. People like what they like, and who am I to be mad at them for it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 am

Oh another one I forgot to mention BoG movie isn't great or even good. Not well animated or directed save for Shida scene the fact DBS has had episodes that look better than a movie says it all. The story is just bad or rather it's executed poorly, none of the action is ever given room to breathe or let the audience engage, and the film is full off nonsensical padding that doesn't move the story forward. The extended cut just brings the flaws out more. Plus the cast get treated horribly and it's boderline offensive.

Is it enjoyable? Sure but I don't think it's the gold standard for modern DB people think it is especially when ResF gets hated on and it's essentially the same film.

Not sure what triggered this change tbh, just one day rewatched BoG and it didn't sit right with me.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 am

Buu arc. I used to think it was a genuinely bad arc, but upon rewatch /reread I realized it was actually quite good and entertaining. Not perfect by a long shot but definitely didn't deserve the hate it got years ago. Related to that -
Mr. Satan- I still don't like how he is introduced, but his role in the Buu arc changed my mind about him.

Beerus Terribly disappointed when I first saw his design and I let that kinda influence my opinion of him. Watching the character in motion, not to mention Koichi Yamadera's performance, made me like him a lot. I consider him the best thing come out of current DB.

I don't think I have an opinion that took a negative turn over the years, mostly just positive. I think that's good.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 am

I dind't care that much about BOG when it was first released but after watching the dub it may be my favorite DB piece.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Oh another one I forgot to mention BoG movie isn't great or even good. Not well animated or directed save for Shida scene the fact DBS has had episodes that look better than a movie says it all. The story is just bad or rather it's executed poorly, none of the action is ever given room to breathe or let the audience engage, and the film is full off nonsensical padding that doesn't move the story forward. The extended cut just brings the flaws out more. Plus the cast get treated horribly and it's boderline offensive.

Is it enjoyable? Sure but I don't think it's the gold standard for modern DB people think it is especially when ResF gets hated on and it's essentially the same film.

Not sure what triggered this change tbh, just one day rewatched BoG and it didn't sit right with me.
Probably the "new DB content after all these years omg!!!11" effect finally wore off? :wink: I think BOG gets a pass becase of it and lots of fanservice and memes. When we compare it to DB heights it really is... incredibly mediocre.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 am

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:i used to not enjoy the 22nd TB all that much. I don't know why or what caused me to change my mind. I just came back to it after a few years and I thought, "Wow, this is much better than I remember it." Now it's amongst my favorite arcs in all of DB.
It was the opposite for me. I remember being fond of it, then going back and finding it pretty boring.
It's the combination of the quality of the fight and Tenshinhan's inner struggle. It's great drama.

It used to bug me that the Cell arc could've been prevented and everyone was acting like they were pressed for time to stop the impending doom. I don't know if it was Kunzait's wuxia posts or before that, but realizing that Goku and his friends' aim was never to prevent them, that it's not a superhero story, put not just the Cell arc but everything else in perspective.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 am

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
It's the combination of the quality of the fight and Tenshinhan's inner struggle. It's great drama.

It used to bug me that the Cell arc could've been prevented and everyone was acting like they were pressed for time to stop the impending doom. I don't know if it was Kunzait's wuxia posts or before that, but realizing that Goku and his friends' aim was never to prevent them, that it's not a superhero story, put not just the Cell arc but everything else in perspective.
I think DB movie 3 does a better job handling Tenshinhan's character arc and the fight was pretty mediocre; it was a match of Goku one-upping Tenshinhan every chance he got.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:40 am

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote: It was the opposite for me. I remember being fond of it, then going back and finding it pretty boring.

I think DB movie 3 does a better job handling Tenshinhan's character arc and the fight was pretty mediocre; it was a match of Goku one-upping Tenshinhan every chance he got.
Both were one upping each other. The whole match was back and forth. How did movie 3 do a better job with his arc?