How would you change Broly's personality?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

How would you change Broly's personality?

Post by Omniboy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Understandably some people don't like him, but I would like to know what changes you would like to make to him. Especially those who dislike him.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: How would you change Broly's personality?

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:14 pm

A lot of people have issues with his motivation. Its literally because Goku cried for awhile when they both were babies that he goes berserk.

Even I, fan of the first film and alright with the second, have trouble justifying Broly's motivations.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:A lot of people have issues with his motivation. Its literally because Goku cried for awhile when they both were babies that he goes berserk.

Even I, fan of the first film and alright with the second, have trouble justifying Broly's motivations.
EDIT: Nevermind
Last edited by Omniboy on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:30 pm

Omniboy wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:A lot of people have issues with his motivation. Its literally because Goku cried for awhile when they both were babies that he goes berserk.

Oh yeah. Before this thread goes on any longer I would like to show this thread made by Rereboy a year earlier ( of course you can't post anything in this old thread)

viewtopic.php?t=37309

This may show that Broly does not hate Goku for that reason, and that his motive was probably misinterpreted.
Read it and... it's a fan's interpretation to try and justify Broly so that he doesn't seem so pathetic in his motivations. And in fact, takes away what little personality Broly actually had.

The fact is; Dragon Ball is not a show known for its complexity, in films, manga, or anime series. So slapping on a complex theory to try and retcon what the film itself presents as Broly's background and motivations, well, I don't buy it.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Read it and... it's a fan's interpretation to try and justify Broly so that he doesn't seem so pathetic in his motivations. And in fact, takes away what little personality Broly actually had.

The fact is; Dragon Ball is not a show known for its complexity, in films, manga, or anime series. So slapping on a complex theory to try and retcon what the film itself presents as Broly's background and motivations, well, I don't buy it.
Lol. I just read and all of the photos got taken down. I feel so dumb.

EDIT: Plus if you don't believe it, then that's fine. This thread was supposed to be about changes that people would like to make. I shouldn't have included that any way.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 am

Give M10 Broly & Bio-Broly some edgy lines. Dats all.

I was satisfied with the way TOEI handleed M8 Broly. It was backstory driven with Paragus serving as the narrator. Broly's character himself was only unleashed the moment Legendary Super Saiyan decided to manifest himself ripping thru Broly's mouth, face & entire muthafckin upper limb.

Then on, it was no longer battlefield. Rather, Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan's playground & was creepy & exciting both at same time with Jap & Funi lines being equally rivetting. Like "Kakarotto is your cute? Hehe" after clotheslining Future Trunks into bricks & "Is dat another name for coffin" to counter Goku's "give us a handicap" line.

M10 Broly not uttering a single dialogue was biggest crime. The animators, Tadayoshi in particular must've emphasized on art, animation, cinematography but not on the character, Broly himself.

Bio-Broly was understandable. He was handled better than M10.

In short, I only wish TOEI had given more badass lines

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
Omniboy wrote:

Oh yeah. Before this thread goes on any longer I would like to show this thread made by Rereboy a year earlier ( of course you can't post anything in this old thread)

viewtopic.php?t=37309

This may show that Broly does not hate Goku for that reason, and that his motive was probably misinterpreted.

That's a fan interpretation? the movie clearly tells you Broly reacted that way because Broly's Saiyan instincts have been awakened by Goku's power, and not because Goku cried. If you don't believe it because you can't see the pictures here http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Thread ... skin=oasis
this was also mentioned in Dokkan Battle

the movie never suggested that the crying made Broly mad or that he wanted to kill Goku for that. In the first movie its clearly stated that Broly reacted that way because Broly's Saiyan instincts have been awakened by Goku's power, and in the second coming he wanted to kill Goku because he nearly killed him, not because Goku cried.

And I personally wouldn't change Broly's personality, he's good as he is. Maybe give him more lines, thats all.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu