Mamoru Hosoda - DB animator to acclaimed director

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Mamoru Hosoda - DB animator to acclaimed director

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm

His resume includes Summer Wars, The Boy and the Beast and Wolf Children.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamoru_Hosoda

Did the DB saga have any major/minor influence on his works?

And would you like him to direct a DB movie one day?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Mamoru Hosoda - DB animator to acclaimed director

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Some of his best works were at Toei, but Dragon Ball didn't have much of a role in his career development. Yamauchi Shigeyasu(DB and Saint Seiya's best director and one of Toei's absolute best during his stay there)influenced him to some degree, so that's something.

Hosoda's best work at Toei is in Nadja, Doremi, Digimon and that OP film before he left for Madhouse and then to form his own studio. He is too big for DB or any long running franchise for the matter. So, his return is impossible. I'm happy with him doing his own stuff, so I don't mind anyways.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:56 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: And would you like him to direct a DB movie one day?
Never. I hate how Digimon Movie and One Piece Movie 06 looked. If I already hate Tate's rough style, a DB movie looking like that would be a nightmare.
I want that style away from Dragon Ball.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ADdictedHD

Post by ADdictedHD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:And would you like him to direct a DB movie one day?
a DB movie directed by mamoru hosoda would be incredible, assuming he's somehow granted creative freedom in this franchise, lol. and hell, character designs by tate 8) , for example wouldn't hurt.
yamero

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm

You never know! Junichi Sato is supposedly returning to Toei to work on Precure.

Also I really want to see his animation for Doremi,Nadja and so on.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:And would you like him to direct a DB movie one day?
That would be a dream come true. One Piece got lucky and had a feature film directed by him. Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is still one of my favourite One Piece films.

If he were to direct a Dragon Ball film, the character art would look something along the lines of the opening scene of that Dragon Ball 4D short film that released in Japan last year. There would definitely be a mixed response to his decision on simpler character art, kinda like how a lot of Full Metal Alchemist fans didn't like the character art in The Sacred Star of Milos since it was so different from what they were used to in Brotherhood.

Hosoda is a great filmmaker. Wolf Children is such a heartfelt film with wonderful direction and animation. The Boy and the Beast was also really good, but definitely one of his weaker projects. He has a new movie coming out this year that I'm really looking forward to. Maybe one day the stars will align and Hosoda will return to Toei to direct a new Dragon Ball movie.

I know Ajay would probably sell everything he owns just to get Hosoda to direct a Dragon Ball movie. :lol:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: I know Ajay would probably sell everything he owns just to get Hosoda to direct a Dragon Ball movie. :lol:
Currently listing everything I own on eBay to make this happen.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 am

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: