Vegeta voted No 1 anime rival

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Vegeta voted No 1 anime rival

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:19 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ls/.126859

"I have in me the blood of a Saiyan Prince! He is nothing but a joke! Yet I've had to watch him surpass me in strength, my destiny thrown to the wayside! He's...he's even saved my life as if I were a helpless child. He has stolen my honour. And his debts must be paid."

All Hail the Prince of Saiyans.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Vegeta voted No 1 anime rival

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:21 pm

#1 ? He's THE anime rival.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Too bad it's ultimately a one sided rivalry.

And the amount of people who voted are pretty minuscule to take in any serious regard.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm

154 people isnt really proving anything.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:09 pm

This isn't news though. We've had a similar poll a while ago. He is the fundamental shonen manga rival character; the nr.2 spot, Sasuke, kinda owes his existence to him, although Sasuke's rival status is an actual thing in Naruto.

And look at Bakugo being so high up....

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Too bad it's ultimately a one sided rivalry.

And the amount of people who voted are pretty minuscule to take in any serious regard.
Doesn't matter, he is in fact Goku's rival.
a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.
I'd say Vegeta more than qualifies. Even if Goku doesn't see it that way, Vegeta is in fact his closest rival over the longest period of time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Always was No 1. Is being No 1. Will remain No 1.

No 1 most iconic anime rival & anti-hero character

Anime News Network are obligated Dub worshippers, but gotta say I've always felt Ryo Horikawa's portrayal of Vegeta brought forth the pride, pain, arrogance, cunningness & overall good guy with just a touch of villainism to the table dat Chris Sabat could never r do.

Rivalry is a rivalry. Who cares if its one-sided, or two-sided. Or triangular. We're not talkin about love story

If you take most popular anime & its iconic anti-hero character, it'll most probably be one-sided

DN: Kira/Light was fckin obsessed with murdering L. All L wanted was play along Kira's mind-game & capture him to solidify justice

HXH2011: Hisoka was fckin obsessed with fighting Chrollo & Gon. In all honesty, all these dudes wanted was living their own path/journey

Inuyasha: Sesshoumaru wanted to prove his worth as true successor of Tessaiga, yet my buddy Inuyasha was obsessed with squashin Naraku & completing Shikon no Tama

Lookin at how these rivalries played-out, I'd say Veggie's character had more depth than mere obsession

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:15 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:154 people isnt really proving anything.
I own 150 of the votes so it's really just 5 people but that still counts. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:19 am

Vijay wrote:Always was No 1. Is being No 1. Will remain No 1.

Anime News Network are obligated Dub worshippers, but gotta say I've always felt Ryo Horikawa's portrayal of Vegeta brought forth the pride, pain, arrogance, cunningness & overall good guy with just a touch of villainism to the table dat Chris Sabat could never r do.

Rivalry is a rivalry. Who cares if its one-sided, or two-sided. Or triangular. We're not talkin about love story

If you take most popular anime & its iconic anti-hero character, it'll most probably be one-sided

DN: Kira/Light was fckin obsessed with murdering L. All L wanted was play along Kira's mind-game & capture him to solidify justice

HXH2011: Hisoka was fckin obsessed with fighting Chrollo & Gon. In all honesty, all these dudes wanted was living their own path/journey

Inuyasha: Sesshoumaru wanted to prove his worth as true successor of Tessaiga, yet my buddy Inuyasha was obsessed with squashin Naraku & completing Shikon no Tama

Lookin at how these rivalries played-out, I'd say Veggie's character had more depth than mere obsession

They are not dub worshippers, otherwise "Shigeru Okido" would be "Gary Oak"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:

Just read ANN's reviews on DB, Z, Kai, BOG, ROF, Bleach, FMAB

Theron Martin, so-called reputed ANN reviewer among a handful of others is a dub purist & not only does he ignore the beauty of original japanese version in a matter-of-fact discussion, but relish in their ignorance by refusing to accept any constructive argument

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:13 pm

Vijay wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:

Just read ANN's reviews on DB, Z, Kai, BOG, ROF, Bleach, FMAB

Theron Martin, so-called reputed ANN reviewer among a handful of others is a dub purist & not only does he ignore the beauty of original japanese version in a matter-of-fact discussion, but relish in their ignorance by refusing to accept any constructive argument
that's the sad thing, when it comes to Dragon Ball most sites use Dub as the reference.

[Re:] it's great to see Vegeta in this list and Dragon Ball still being a big thing in Japan.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:34 pm

I think at this point it's safe to say that Vegeta is arguably the most famous antihero in anime.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 pm

The one's who needed to be here were Vegeta, Char, Shigeru, and Sasuke.

Feel like L from Death Note should be there. Also possibly Kaiba.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Where did Koji from Medabots come?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:26 pm

lancerman wrote:The one's who needed to be here were Vegeta, Char, Shigeru, and Sasuke.

Feel like L from Death Note should be there. Also possibly Kaiba.
You mean Yugi, right? Everyone knows Kaiba is the main protagonist of YuGiOh!

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:57 pm

kn83 wrote:I think at this point it's safe to say that Vegeta is arguably the most famous antihero in anime.
Yep.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Love Vegeta, but Char not topping this list is a crime.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:Love Vegeta, but Char not topping this list is a crime.
Char is the only character I would accept ahead of Vegeta on this list. Mostly because Char actually probably has largely been considered the superior character to his rival in his series. Whereas as popular as Vegeta is, he's still the Donald Duck to Goku's Mickey Mouse. When people think of Gundam a lot of them think of Char first.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Donald Duck is much more popular than Mickey Mouse...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Donald Duck is much more popular than Mickey Mouse...
lol. I like the duck better too. You know what I mean though. When people think of Dragon Ball the defining character is Goku. I like Vegeta better in many respects, but Goku's the guy.

It's kind of like how in Star Wars everyone knows Luke is the protagonist but Darth Vader is the character that people think of when it comes to the series. That's what Char is. He's surpassed his protagonist. The last story of Amuro/Char wasn't called "Amuro's last stand" or anything like that. It was called Char's Counterattack. They knew who the money maker was.

Now I think Dragon Ball as a property is more iconic nowadays (I can't speak to the 80's and 90's) and Goku is like the Mickey Mouse of anime (hence the Donald Duck comparison I made) so I can completely see why he would get the nod. However, Gundam is an extremely popular anime in it's own right and in that one the rival is the star.