Reddit Funi AMA Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Reddit Funi AMA Discussion

Post by Professor Freeza » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:21 am

So we all know what went on there yesterday. I myself got downvoted to hell for saying Nozawa is the true Goku, not Sean Schemmel.

But this happened with Sean:
Sean Schemmel wrote:Goku's voice as Goku Black Rose will still have an accent. That's because it's based on the voice the actor playing Zamasu gave him. So, goku black will sound like goku basically, just mean and evil acting style, and Rose will have a more "proper" accent but not truly British. this is because more of the zamasu power channels through him and to also suspend disbelief in the sense that when goku black rose and zamasu are next to each other it should feel like the same type of spirit is inhabiting both bodies.
Lippti wrote:That isn't what happens though. Rosé occurs because Goku Black is Zamasu, not because "more of his power channels through him". It doesn't make sense for him to suddenly get an accent when he transforms.
Sean Schemmel wrote:So I guess we are just wrong and you are right. We are going to change it instantly. #artisticlicense. Go get a job where someone constantly criticizes your work as if they know more or have a better understanding of than you, just because they are a fan. It's not like I bust my ass as hard as possible to do as good a job as possible. Of course I don't expect constant praise or any praise. But once you get criticized for 18 years it really starts to wear on you.
Sean Schemmel wrote:I get to do whatever, the licensor, and my director allows me to do. We work hard with very little data to interpret the original source material and preserve it to the best of our ability whilst making it palatable for English speaking audiences.
Our very own mod Ajay even chimed in.
Slut_Muffin wrote:Yes, you are wrong. You are dubbing an existing show, you don't get 'artistic license'. This isn't the 90s, Mr Hope of the Universe.
Sean Schemmel wrote:Yes we do actually. It's called localization.

Obviously Sean is an asshole. And also he does a faux pas on Rose Black's voice.

Thoughts?

Kaboom

Re: Reddit Funi AMA Discussion

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 am

There's already a discussion about this in the dedicated Super Funimation Dub thread, and I don't think we need a separate thread dedicated to it. Especially not when it starts off with needlessly inflammatory comments right off the bat.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!