Garlic Jr saga pros and cons

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Garlic Jr saga pros and cons

Post by Fizzer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm

I like the saga, I've gotta be honest. It's great for providing breathing room between Freeza and Freeza, giving focus to some other characters, and the more mystical tone of earlier DB.

There are really two problems with it for me:

1) It does drag in the middle. It needed to be a couple of episodes shorter as it stands.

2) It really should have tried to be consistent with the anime timeline rather than the Dead Zone movie. Basically if it had been a combination of what it was and a retelling of some of the events of the movie such as Garlic Jr's wish, in which the characters hadn't actually faced Garlic Jr before, it would have been better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Fizzer wrote:I like the saga, I've gotta be honest. It's great for providing breathing room between Freeza and Freeza, giving focus to some other characters, and the more mystical tone of earlier DB.

1) It does drag in the middle. It needed to be a couple of episodes shorter as it stands.

2) It really should have tried to be consistent with the anime timeline rather than the Dead Zone movie. Basically if it had been a combination of what it was and a retelling of some of the events of the movie such as Garlic Jr's wish, in which the characters hadn't actually faced Garlic Jr before, it would have been better.
Why would it have been better?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:50 pm

ABED wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I like the saga, I've gotta be honest. It's great for providing breathing room between Freeza and Freeza, giving focus to some other characters, and the more mystical tone of earlier DB.

It would have been a self contained mini-arc that doesn't require familiarity with a movie that isn't even really meant to take place in the same timeline. I just have an issue with "hey this someone our characters have a history with but it all happened off screen and can't really fit anywhere". Its a con for me.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:52 pm

I also was one of the people who liked it. It wasn't too long, even though it could have been shorter for my taste. The Vegeta searching in space scenes were KILLER. Kami in the "shadow realm" was pretty cool too. I think it was definitely better than many of Super's arcs and wish it was canonized properly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Fizzer wrote:
ABED wrote:

It would have been a self contained mini-arc that doesn't require familiarity with a movie that isn't even really meant to take place in the same timeline. I just have an issue with "hey this someone our characters have a history with but it all happened off screen and can't really fit anywhere". Its a con for me.
It didn't happen off screen. It simply happened in a movie and the show catches up the viewer on what happened in the movie.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 pm

Pro:

Con:
The arc itself makes movie 1 canon with the TV series, which just doesn't work in it's continuity.
Founder of The Dragonball: Evolution Archive.
You must have faith in who you are.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 pm

A con for me is that when I saw the arc for the first time, I didn't see any of the movies yet, so when that flashback from Movie 1 came, I was very confused saying "when did that happen?". That was a problem for me. After all, the movies are different from the series.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 am

dragondyle wrote:Pro:

Con:
The arc itself makes movie 1 canon with the TV series, which just doesn't work in it's continuity.
Hells yeas! Maron was definitely a positive for me with this arc(especially back when I was 11). Her eps were usually the best ones in it lol.
Other pros were Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin trying to hold their own without Goku ever showing up to save the day. the whole Vegeta searching for Goku in space side thing was also nice.
Cons: I just now realized and it wasn't until you guys pointed it out in this thread that there was no Tien in this arc. Damn, that's definitely a missed opportunity.

All in all I think its one of the better DBZ filler arcs. I definitely enjoyed it way more than the Other World Tournament arc.
Maron is stacked!!

TheSeductiveTomato
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:11 pm

dragondyle wrote: Con:
Not necessarily. You could do a full rewatch of the series and skip this entire arc and it won't make a difference. If anything, I'd treat this saga like another movie and squeeze it in between Lord Slug and Cooler's Revenge.

With this being said, I actually find Maron to be a very obnoxious con. Never cared for overly ditzy characters.

Pros for me would be, as I stated, it's nice to throw in with a strictly-movie-marathon. This, aside from Cell, is also the only time I feel like Gohan truly lived up to his expectations of taking the mantle from Goku as Earth's defender. Dude defeated an immortal and his pack of flamboyant demons mostly on his own and it was nice to see him step up and save the world without waiting for daddy to come home. Lastly, I feel like Vegeta being absent from the main fight was actually fairly appropriate. He wasn't introduced before movie 1 and therefore never met Garlic, so it's not like we have any crazy reunions that we missed out on. Watching him destroy various Frieza outposts was satisfying enough for me.