If there is a new series, what title would you suggest?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: If there is a new series, what title would you suggest?

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Dragon Ball V, with the V being pronounced like the letter, but the pun being on the Roman numeral. I borrowed the name idea from Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc V, though I don't know how they pronounce it there. But yeah, it would technically be the fifth series storywise. This is counting Z and Kai because they tell the same story using mostly the same footage. Probably a dumb idea, but whatever.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Grimlock wrote:Why would it be "dumb"?
Dragon Ball Heroes is dumb in a lot of ways.
Grimlock wrote:As for the Victory Mission manga, it'd be like Yu-Gi-Oh! in Dragon Ball world. There was a subplot going on but since Toyotaro didn't finish it, it hardly serves as an anime. It probably would be better to adapt Dark Demon Realm Mission manga instead.
If they were doing it as a flagship anime, they could easily get Toyotaro to resume it. Presumably the Super manga would be finished, so Toyotaro could focus on Victory Mission.
And yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh in the Dragon Ball world is basically what it was. And that was really cool. I think Toyo actually did quite a lot more with Victory Mission than people give him credit for; only the first 15 out of 28 chapters have been translated online, so only the first half is up. And the first 5 or 6 chapters were only like a quarter of the length of the rest of the chapters(Or less!), so arguably it's less than half.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Dragon Ball EXTREEEEEEME!
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Dragon Ball Heroes is dumb in a lot of ways.
Well, certainly not dumber than the main series.
Grimlock wrote:And yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh in the Dragon Ball world is basically what it was. And that was really cool. I think Toyo actually did quite a lot more with Victory Mission than people give him credit for; only the first 15 out of 28 chapters have been translated online, so only the first half is up. And the first 5 or 6 chapters were only like a quarter of the length of the rest of the chapters(Or less!), so arguably it's less than half.
He certainly did but only because it was a manga. I really don't know what to think about an animated series where Yu-Gi-Oh! meets Dragon Ball, it could be awesome (like the manga and the Hero Colosseum in Xenoverse), but it could also be weird as heck, it's all up to how they drive the series.

I never read Yu-Gi-Oh! manga, so that's why I didn't have any feeling with Victory Mission, that's what I mean.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Gligarman wrote:How about an adaptation of the Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman manga?
Honestly, if they adapted pre-existing material, I'd rather see a Dragon Ball Heroes anime. It would be dumb and crazy, but if the Victory Mission manga is anything to go by, it would at least be rather different territory for Dragon Ball, and could be a ton of fun. Certainly a welcome change from Super IMO.
I'd just like to see a Jaco anime because a lot of people don't know where he came from. Also it could include the extra chapter, Dragon Ball minus. Plus it was the last manga Toriyama did entirely by himself so it'd be a cool send off.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Dragon Ball Forever
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Fizzer wrote:Dragon Ball LGBT+
Please, this HAS to be Dragon Ball LBGT+ (note the GT change)
Robo4900 wrote:Honestly, if they adapted pre-existing material, I'd rather see a Dragon Ball Heroes anime. It would be dumb and crazy, but if the Victory Mission manga is anything to go by, it would at least be rather different territory for Dragon Ball, and could be a ton of fun. Certainly a welcome change from Super IMO.
Is Goku in it?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Dragon Ball SHINKA! Its cooler sounding than Evolution. Even if does mean the same.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:Is Goku in it?
Good point. He isn't.

The main character of Victory Mission is a guy called Beat, who looks kinda Goku-esque, but most certainly is not Goku, or even Goku-like.

So, I guess Toei probably wouldn't want to do that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Is Goku in it?
Good point. He isn't.

The main character of Victory Mission is a guy called Beat, who looks kinda Goku-esque, but most certainly is not Goku, or even Goku-like.

So, I guess Toei probably wouldn't want to do that.
This was me putting in a sly reference to "would Dragon Ball be good if there was no Goku" thing from last week.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 pm

When we get our eventual remake I'd love to call it Shin Dragon Ball, but I imagine the production committee would be weary of ever putting a word or phrase before Dragon Ball.

As for a continuation of Dragon Ball Super, I suppose it will have to depend on whether or not the Super Dragon Balls make a return to prominence. If I had to shill some toys then I'd be interested in having the Balls shattered and turned into various kinds of weapons, warships, mecha, and armors, all with their own powers, but I don't think that Toriyama Akira is capable of constructing a story that way, anyway. Nevertheless, I say just keep with Dragon Ball Super and call the continuation Episode #132 and onward.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:14 am

KBABZ wrote:This was me putting in a sly reference to "would Dragon Ball be good if there was no Goku" thing from last week.
Thought it'd be something like that.

For the record, my view on that is yes, but I'm sure Toei's isn't, and I imagine Toriyama's isn't either. So, who knows.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:50 am

Dragon Ball Shippuden
Dragon Ball 7D's
Dragon Ball Generations
Dragon Ball In Space
Dragon Ball Unlimited
Dragon Ball NT Warrior

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:46 am

Dragonball X

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:47 am

Dragon Ball Generations is kinda obvious if that's the route they chose.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Basaku wrote:Dragon Ball Generations is kinda obvious if that's the route they chose.
If they ever adapt Dragonball Heroes into an anime (someone at Toei suggested this a few years ago) then I guess that would be its title, since DBH according to its manga takes place a century after the end of GT.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Dragon Ball Super: The New Chapters
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:12 pm

kn83 wrote:If they ever adapt Dragonball Heroes into an anime (someone at Toei suggested this a few years ago) then I guess that would be its title, since DBH according to its manga takes place a century after the end of GT.
I believe it's set during a similar time period to the GT special, and the end of #64, as Puck made a cameo in one chapter of Victory Mission.

However, it is worth noting that, given the fact Heroes uses elements from Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Super, the movies, and other stuff(Like Super Saiyan 4 Broly, for example), I think placing its time period works this way, but I think the idea is that it takes place in a world where it's been so long since the main Dragon Ball stories were told that they've become legends, with various different -- often contradictory -- tellings and such, thus you have GT stuff and Super stuff coexisting within the Heroes game it all centres around.
Though I think they generally intentionally stay rather fuzzy with that logic, since it isn't particularly important; as long as they get to do the stuff they get to do, the whys and hows of how it fits into the prior canon aren't really considered to matter that much.

Man, I really want some English DBH media.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Dragon Ball AF, don't think that one has been taken has it?
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Definitely DRAGON BALL V. Why, you ask? Well, we've already had a letter (Z), abbreviation (GT), and adjective (Super). I think by having it called V for the number 5, with this being the fifth main DB series - It would really be unique. It would also go back to the lettering system in a way with the letter V, and we all know Z is the most iconic series of the DB franchise anyway.