Dr. Slump: The Movies Vol. 2?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dr. Slump: The Movies Vol. 2?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Like the Funimation Dragon Boxes, I've also been waiting for a Vol. 2 of the Dr. Slump movies (6-11) by Discotek Media but it never came out! Why do companies release a series of boxsets but not all of it? This just gives customers hope that there'll be more. :(

I'd really like to buy Dr. Slump: The Movies Vol. 2 but I'm guessing that's never happening.

Cover of Dr. Slump: The Movies (1-5).

To add to the disappointment, I'm also sorta upset Dr. Slump's original anime series were never released in the English market.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dr. Slump: The Movies Vol. 2?

Post by Damned » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

I would love for the entire series to come out (Yes, 90s remake included.) seeing as how Penguin Village is referenced in Original Dragon Ball. Watching Dr. Slump would've helped me to appreciate the Penguin Village episodes more. Seeing how we are coming up on 4 years since Volume 1 released, I'm guessing they weren't happy enough with the sales to continue releasing more.

Maybe in the future it'll become trendy to watch old hand drawn anime and Discotek / Funimation will take a shot at releasing the rest.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:16 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:Like the Funimation Dragon Boxes, I've also been waiting for a Vol. 2 of the Dr. Slump movies (6-11) by Discotek Media but it never came out! Why do companies release a series of boxsets but not all of it? This just gives customers hope that there'll be more. :(

I'd really like to buy Dr. Slump: The Movies Vol. 2 but I'm guessing that's never happening.

Cover of Dr. Slump: The Movies (1-5).

To add to the disappointment, I'm also sorta upset Dr. Slump's original anime series were never released in the English market.
it's not related to dragon ball i think you should have make it elsewhere

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:31 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:it's not related to dragon ball i think you should have make it elsewhere
In the past, this particular release was given a sort-of quasi-"pass" as it were, due to Herms working on the translation of the films a bit, and the hope that the set would sell well enough for us to get the rest.

Sadly though, the latter seems to not have worked. I've never seen actual numbers (I don't think Discotek really puts out such statements), but the fact that it's been this long with absolutely nothing said doesn't exactly bode well. It's likely it didn't sell amazingly well sadly, thus leaving us hanging for more Slump.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm

I was just looking for more Slump and it seems like there are season DVD and even Blu-Ray sets out but unfortunately they only have Spanish/French subs.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Jord wrote:I was just looking for more Slump and it seems like there are season DVD and even Blu-Ray sets out but unfortunately they only have Spanish/French subs.
Funny that! Just yesterday night I saw that the original series of Dr. Slump is available on Blu-ray in France.

I wonder how it looks like.

P.S. It does include the original Japanese audio (sometimes French anime boxsets are dub-only). :)
P.P.S The series was cancelled in Spain and it only lasted four volumes. :(

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Dr Slump's not as good as Dragon Ball but I love its art style that segued into DB. Plus, there's almost certainly a market for a Dr Slump dub or even a fansub here, and I additionally believe in releasing older series unreleased in English so people take in anime from various periods rather than exclusively the modern era of anime.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:20 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Dr Slump's not as good as Dragon Ball
You did not just say that. :lol:

Dr. Slump is a different type of a beast, it's more about comedy and parody than martial arts like Dragon Ball. Basically, you're comparing oranges and apples.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm

People have often different opinions on different media things and whatnot. Know some guys who's favorite martial arts movies are Chinese or Japanese movies that may or may not have inspired hip-hop groups and albums, and some who's favorite is" Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon". But yeah, it's like comparing DB to their booby sister-series. (Guys outside the US, Funimation releases a lot of fan-servicey shows stateside).

As for Dr. Slump in English, I did mention to Funimation guys at cons that I would love them forever if they released Dr. Slump with Laura Bailey or Luci Christian as Arale. They said they liked the series too, but would be a risk since older anime series tend to not sell well outside Lion Voltron and Robotech. (They didn't really mention the latter two, but I am since those did sell well.)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Dr. Slump is a different type of a beast, it's more about comedy and parody than martial arts like Dragon Ball.
Sounds like early Dragon Ball to me. :P
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Even then, Dr. Slump is very episodic, and I don't think Arale ever had anyone come close to taking her down.

I saw, like, the first 20 episodes, and it quickly became kinda samey and repetitive. After awhile Arale's antics got annoying.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.