I tried to make sense of the complicated and convolluted Dragon Ball Canon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

I tried to make sense of the complicated and convolluted Dragon Ball Canon

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 am

Just for fun, and I came up with 2 separate canons one can follow.
Dragon Ball Manga Universe Canon
  • Dragon Ball Manga ( Original 42 Volumes by AT)
  • Jaco the Galactic Patrolman ( and bonus chapter : Dragon Ball Minus)
  • Dragon Ball Super Manga ( by Toyotaro)
  • Dragon Ball Movie 15: Resurrection of F
Maybe even throw Dr.Slump in there, since the characters crossover with the original manga. So, since Jaco and DB Minus are officially written by Akira Toryiama it's safe to assume that they are canon with the original run. Now, the Dragon Ball Super Manga is no doubt the official continuation of the original volumes since it's been stated as such in the interviews, by Tory himself. If that isn't enough, I got more proof for anyone saying that the Anime is the official continuation of the Manga. The DBS anime features filler moments ( or even characters like Gregory on King Kai's planet) of the past, which were only in the anime and not in the manga, while the DBS Manga does not feature filled such as Gregory. It's easy to see that Toyotaro is writing an official continuation of the original Manga. I also put the RoF movie since we don't have a full Manga Version of that, so it's safe to assume that the movie is in canon to the manga, also because Toryiama started he wrote it as if DB was still in serialization.

Dragon Ball Anime Universe/Toei Canon
  • Dragon Ball - Bardock: Father of Goku
  • Dragon Ball (Original Anime)
  • Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball Kai
  • Dragon Ball Z Trunks Special
  • Dragon Ball Super Anime
I chose the Bardock Special because scenes of it are present in Dragon Ball Z and Kai, so it's in continuity with those particular series. The Trunks special is referenced in Super ( they reaninated the exact same scene of Trunks's transformation) so that's more proof that the Super anime is canon to the Z anime, since in the manga Trunks was already a Super Saiyan when Gohan died.

Dragon Ball Side/ Alternative/ Non Canon stories
  • Dragon Ball Movies #1-14
  • Dragon Ball GT
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 1-2
  • Dragon Ball Fighterz
This is the non canon side stuff. I also put Movie 14 since it became obsolete after both the manga an dthe anime retold the story, and Change details like the setting , which is now a boat as opposed to Capsule Corporation. I didn't put Movie 15 because even though it got retold in the anime, it's still probably canon to the Manga since it's the closest to Toryiama 's vision as we can get for this arc.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Re: I tried to make sense of the complicated and convolluted Dragon Ball Canon

Post by Sani007 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:51 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:I also put the RoF movie since we don't have a full Manga Version of that, so it's safe to assume that the movie is in canon to the manga, also because Toryiama started he wrote it as if DB was still in serialization.
But we have Dragon Ball Volume ‘F’. It is contains Toriyama's script and concepts.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 am

As long as Toriyama is the franchaise's main writer then what's written by him is canon while everything else isn't until said otherwise.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:04 am

How can something be complicated if it doesn't even exist? Dragon Ball franchise does not have an official canon. As long as it doesn't have one, one can consider canonical anything they want. But this is something a little complicated, because while you are capable to consider anything canonical, there'll be problems depending on what you want to consider canonical. Obviously some movies, OVAs and TV Specials contradict the main continuity, but since it is your "headcanon", then it is up to you to deal with these issues, someone else who doesn't consider such work won't have to deal with it.

There is absolutely nothing stating that other works not written by Toriyama cannot be/are not canonical to the main timeline (besides movies, which were said to take place in another dimension and Dragon Ball GT, stated to be a side-story). Like, Akira Toriyama worked in Dragon Ball Online for five years and while we don't have an official confirmation that he collaborated with the story, he still worked for five years in that game, one would be extremelly gullible to think he didn't have any finger on the story (even with some implications, like the Bardock's personality issue). But we do know that Dragon Ball Online takes place in the main continuity (original manga), so as far as we can say, one can consider that game canonical just fine.

Movie 14 and Movie 15 are Toriyama's works and then Toei and Toyotaro retold them with a different approach, which means both of them created their own continuities, their own rules and logic that set their retellings apart from the movies. That does not mean the retellings are above the movies, since one can still consider the movies instead of the retellings, exactly because there is no official canon.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 am

Grimlock wrote:How can something be complicated if it doesn't even exist? Dragon Ball franchise does not have an official canon.
First, "official canon" is redundant. And second, canon doesn't need to be explicit. Anything written by Toriyama that's in continuity IS canon.
one can consider canonical anything they want.
No, they can't. Canon is official by definition.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 am

Grimlock wrote:How can something be complicated if it doesn't even exist? Dragon Ball franchise does not have an official canon.

There is absolutely nothing stating that works not written by Toriyama are not canonical to the main timeline (besides movies, which were said to take place in another dimension and Dragon Ball GT, stated to be a side-story).

one can consider canonical anything they want.
So what you're saying is that I can watch DB's main arcs in any order (I can start with the current arc, continue with the RRA arc then follow it up with Buu's) and outright skip a few (23rd Tenkaichi & Namek) ? If there's no canon then dragon ball can be watched like the simpsons where order of events and events themselves don't matter.

GT has been contradicted to death up to this point and the movies according to Toriyama are "in another dimension" so what else is there ?

What fans consider holds 0 ground in a discussion about a story that only takes the author's work into account.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 am

If there's no canon then dragon ball can be watched like the simpsons where order of events and events themselves don't matter.
Oddly enough the reason Simpsons fans hate Principal Skinner is really Armen Tamzarian is because they put stock in Simpsons "canon".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 am

I’d argue there are two anime continuities.

The first:

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z

Dragon Ball GT

The second:

Dragon Ball Kai

Dragon Ball Super

The original Z anime flows way too naturally into GT for me to consider Super an actual sequel to it whereas Kai works as a proper base.

Son Perfect

Post by Son Perfect » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 am

OhHiRenan wrote:[spoiler]I’d argue there are two anime continuities.

The first:

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z

Dragon Ball GT

The second:

Dragon Ball Kai

Dragon Ball Super

The original Z anime flows way too naturally into GT for me to consider Super an actual sequel to it whereas Kai works as a proper base.[/spoiler]
Yes, that's how I see it too. There's the original broadcast continuity (DB, DBZ, DBGT) and then there's the refreshed/revival broadcast continuity (DBK, DBS).
I love Gohan a bit too much...

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:29 am

The Super Saiyan God, Super Saiyan Blue, Ultra Instinct, etc transformations from Super feel like "Toriyama canon" but not part of the original series-canon as back then it was confirmed Son Gokû only had three levels, SSJ, SJJ2 and SSJ3 (and SSJ4 from GT). Now with the God, Blue, UI and so on it's just overkill, imo.

Super will go on by and most people won't even remember what Pokémon evolution he got in Super, years later.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:08 pm

sintzu wrote:So what you're saying is that I can watch DB's main arcs in any order (I can start with the current arc, continue with the RRA arc then follow it up with Buu's) and outright skip a few (23rd Tenkaichi & Namek) ?
Yes, you can if you want it. But I didn't understand the question, since it does not have anything to do with canonicity.
sintzu wrote:If there's no canon then dragon ball can be watched like the simpsons where order of events and events themselves don't matter.
No, Dragon Ball does not have the "episodic" theme. And again, this does not have anything to do with canonicity. I think you are confusing it with "continuity", which is the stream of events, an order to follow it. Canonicity is the acknowledgement of other events within the main event.
ABED wrote:canon doesn't need to be explicit. Anything written by Toriyama that's in continuity IS canon.
I would ask for a source for that. Such claiming obviously requires some facts behind it, backing it up. We do have examples of works from authors that are not canonical to their main work, so if this situation exists, then it's not something definite.
ABED wrote:No, they can't. Canon is official by definition.
Probably. But what we see in all these canon conversation are just mere opinions.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:I’d argue there are two anime continuities.

The first:

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z

Dragon Ball GT

The second:

Dragon Ball Kai

Dragon Ball Super

The original Z anime flows way too naturally into GT for me to consider Super an actual sequel to it whereas Kai works as a proper base.
That's certainly another valid way to look at it. To tell you the truth I didn't make this distinction because I didn't want to overcomplicate things, but this works too
Get Fucked, C_unt

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Grimlock wrote:Canonicity is the acknowledgement of other events within the main event.
ABED wrote:canon doesn't need to be explicit. Anything written by Toriyama that's in continuity IS canon.
I would ask for a source for that. Such claiming obviously requires some facts behind it, backing it up.
Have any of Toriyama's stories ever acknowledge anything not written by him ? Did anyone say Kale looked like Broly when she transformed ? did anyone say that u6 Namakian looked like Slug ? Did anyone ask Sorbet why he didn't bring back Cooler ?

Toriyama has said time and again that his new stories are written as if the manga was continuing, that before he started back up he re-read his work. There's nothing in there about the movies, GT, etc. Read between the lines cause no one is going to come out and step on someone else's feet when it comes to this. You don't need Toriyama to say I didn't take anything else into account because they're not part of my story, him saying he read his manga and wrote these as he would've if he continued said manga tells us all we need to know.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Grimlock has the right idea. Dragon Ball doesn't have a single, central, defined canon, and trying to force one into existence on your own is just inviting a huge and unnecessary headache.

Because even if you try to stick to the baseline and normally given assumption of "Toriyama's works alone," that still leaves you with a whoooole lot of criss-crossing and contradictory stuff. I mean, just looking at Super alone should prove that by itself, because we now have three different versions of those original Battle of Gods and Resurrection F stories to choose from. In those cases and others like them, you'd need some official decree to firmly decide which things "count" and which don't, and that simply hasn't happened yet.

When it comes to Dragon Ball, "canon" is almost entirely up to personal opinion and criteria.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 pm

sintzu wrote:Have any of Toriyama's stories ever acknowledge anything not written by him ? Did anyone say Kale looked like Broly when she transformed ? did anyone say that u6 Namakian looked like Slug ? Did anyone ask Sorbet why he didn't bring back Cooler ?

Toriyama has said time and again that his new stories are written as if the manga was continuing, that before he started back up he re-read his work. There's nothing in there about the movies, GT, etc. Read between the lines cause no one is going to come out and step on someone else's feet when it comes to this. You don't need Toriyama to say I didn't take anything else into account because they're not part of my story, him saying he read his manga and wrote these as he would've if he continued said manga tells us all we need to know.
ABED wrote:First, "official canon" is redundant. And second, canon doesn't need to be explicit. Anything written by Toriyama that's in continuity IS canon.

No, they can't. Canon is official by definition.
All you've done is show that Toriyama didn't take anime-only material into consideration when he wrote Super. That Super is canon to the exclusion of other works, that Toriyama is the sole arbiter of the canon, and that a canon as such even exists are all assumptions that you're making with no concrete basis, and you're saying that we are fundamentally wrong if we disagree with those assumptions. You can say that a canon doesn't need to be explicit, but as a counterpoint, I can say that a canon does need to be explicit. How exactly do you plan on proving me wrong? Your arguments thus far are nothing more than your own words.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:55 pm

First, what would it mean for a story to not be its own canon?

Second, look back at where the term originates. There's Biblical canon and from my research, the first time it was applied to a work of fiction (aside from the Bible) was Sherlock Holmes. SAC Doyle never used the term. It was applied after the fact. It's safe to say that canon doesn't have to be explicit.
When it comes to Dragon Ball, "canon" is almost entirely up to personal opinion and criteria.
This statement shows a lack of understanding about what canon is. Canon isn't a matter of personal opinion.
We do have examples of works from authors that are not canonical to their main work, so if this situation exists, then it's not something definite.
Hence the second criterion being that it needs to be "in continuity".
But what we see in all these canon conversation are just mere opinions.
Because there's a lack of understanding about what the concept entails. Because of that we get dumb neologisms like "headcanon".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm

johnboy1 wrote:All you've done is show that Toriyama didn't take anime-only material into consideration when he wrote Super.

You can say that a canon doesn't need to be explicit, but as a counterpoint, I can say that a canon does need to be explicit. How exactly do you plan on proving me wrong? Your arguments thus far are nothing more than your own words.
So you want us to prove there's a canon even though you've admitted above that Toriyama didn't take anything outside of his material into account while writing ? if you know that then what else do you want ? The original author doesn't take them into account and his stories never mention any of their events so what's there to prove ?
Kaboom wrote:We now have three different versions of Battle of Gods to choose from.
They're all the same story. Beerus comes to earth to fight the SsjG Goku. That's nothing like saying fusion reborn or Slug's movie happened and fit within the story.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Canon in Dragon Ball is making organizational sense out of chaos, and to make sense of it one has to go in with the understanding that A) Trying to organize it puts it into fanon territory from the get-go, and B) It can be contradicted at any moment because the creators just aren't concerned about it (where do Heroes and FighterZ fit?).

To provide an example, TFC of Kai almost seems groomed to act as a lead-in to the Toriyama movie duo and Super, particularly when Super uses Kai as its basis for flashbacks to Z material. Then Super has a Yamcha baseball episode... which was cut in Kai.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Saying there's no canon is just another way of saying "we don't want to offend those who like the other content so everything, even DB evolution counts" It's essentially like saying regardless of how a game goes, everyone gets a golden cup.
KBABZ wrote:Where do Heroes and FighterZ fit ?

Super has a Yamcha baseball episode... which was cut in Kai.
Seriously ?

So ? the main story had huge events happen off screen yet this is the one that breaks everything ? come on, these 2 examples are just scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:19 pm

ABED wrote:First, what would it mean for a story to not be its own canon?

Second, look back at where the term originates. There's Biblical canon and from my research, the first time it was applied to a work of fiction was Sherlock Holmes. SAC Doyle never used the term. It was applied after the fact. It's safe to say that canon doesn't have to be explicit.
Because a canon doesn't exist simply because a fictional universe does. It is not an intrinsic property of the fictional work. It exists outside of the work. Part of the traditional definition of canon is that it is a grouping defined by a criteria (originally an itemized list). For example, in the religious application of the word, the books of the Bible are not a canon in themselves: They belong to the canon. The canon is something that existed separately from them, and was created long after they were written.

Similarly, if your claim about Sherlock Holmes is true, then Doyle estate created the canon after Doyle was dead. It did not exist until that point in time, even if the works that belong to it did. It's the same situation with DB: The works exist. The canon does not.
sintzu wrote:So you want us to prove there's a canon even though you've admitted above that Toriyama didn't take anything outside of his material into account while writing ? if you know that then what else do you want ? The original author doesn't take them into account and his stories never mention any of their events so what's there to prove ?
I'm going to quote the part of my post that you conveniently left out, because it answers your question: "That Super is canon to the exclusion of other works, that Toriyama is the sole arbiter of the canon, and that a canon as such even exists are all assumptions that you're making with no concrete basis, and you're saying that we are fundamentally wrong if we disagree with those assumptions."
Last edited by johnboy1 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.