A DragonBall "Universe"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bruma rabu
Regular

A DragonBall "Universe"

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 am

What do you guys think about a DragonBall "Universe"? Like what if Toei were planing something with DragonBall along the lines of Marvels Cinematic Universe. I know sounds dumb, improbable and probably horrible but maybe not :lol: ? I know I would like to see a show on U6 saiyans.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Re: A DragonBall "Universe"

Post by Lunaar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am

I would applaud them for thinking outside of the Goku box. The Dragon World is huge; ripe for the potential of providing compelling or fun tales. I feel like I could go on for hours, listing stories I would love to see told.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

I guess I'm in the minority who wouldnt even glance at a show focused on the U6 Saiyans. They arent interesting characters to me, especially if they have their own show.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm

No, I want stories, not concepts. Yes, the DB world is huge, but I don't know what stories are screaming to be told that haven't been told to some degree.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm also in the minority of having no interest in a universe style spin off. It's a thing I could see happening, but I wouldn't watch or follow any of it.

How the end of Super shakes out and who is or isn't in the upcoming movie will affect what how much I remain involved in regards to Dragon Ball going forward.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 pm

The spin offs that work best are built around characters, not concepts.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm

There certainly is potential for Dragon Ball stories outside of those that follow the main cast (the Bardock TV Special and the Jaco spinoff are a few examples that already exist), and I would be open to them enough, but I wouldn't care to see Dragon Ball get the Marvel / Star Wars treatment, where everybody in the universe gets a movie or a show and they get one every single year without an end in sight.

If someone has a great story to tell in the Dragon Ball universe, I say knock yourself out. Hell, I kinda want to see a Hit OVA or something, where it would basically be cyberpunk Golgo 13 in space. But something like a "cinematic universe" sounds like nothing more than a hollow never-ending cash cow for the passionless corporate entities that be.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm

I would love that. Dragon Ball's lore is so underdeveloped that it hurts and the potential is immense. However I do not trust Toei to produce new ideas and for a project like this that is a necessity. Because such a thing would not be Dragon Ball while being Dragon Ball.

I would preferentially want manga to be the medium. My dream would be one about starting with Namek's catastrophe, developing Kami's story and Piccolo's Daimao birth side by side with Mutaito and his students Muten Roshi and Tsufu.
It would be cool to see the Earth Dragon Balls and the Kamehameha being created.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Lore is overrated. Stuff needs to be explained so there's clarity. The god hierarchy is really the only thing I can think of that needs clarifying because I don't know what purpose they serve besides being a teacher or power up to the main characters. That wouldn't require anything elaborate, just a line or two of dialog.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:19 pm

I've been wanting to see this ever since they announced the Dragon Room. Like if they're not gonna explore this other universes in the main series, especially now since Super is about to end, why won't they just make spin offs about them? We could have a Pride Troopers anime, a Hit OVA, a Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs manga, and a series about the Universe 6 Saiyans. And, we could also spin-offs about characters from the main universe like Roshi, Trunks, Ginyu Force, U7 Saiyans, etc. The possibilities are endless. What are you waiting for Toei and Shueisha? Get these projects going!
Caulifla best girl! :)

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 pm

We've already gotten some spinoff series like Neko Majin and such. Plus, Dr Slump could be considered part of Dragon Ball's expanded universe. I'm not opposed to new in-universe media that's not specifically related to existing characters and events. More detail on Saiyans and Namekians and Freeza's race would be nice too. I would be impressed if someone actually constructed a Namekian language like Klingon was constructed and we could go around speaking it like true nerds.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 pm

ABED wrote:The spin offs that work best are built around characters, not concepts.
Are you implying the new characters are just concepts and not actual characters?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:The spin offs that work best are built around characters, not concepts.
Are you implying the new characters are just concepts and not actual characters?
No, I mean that very often when people talk about spin-offs they want to see some concept, idea, or premise play out. The most successful spinoffs that I can think of (Frasier, The Flash, Better Call Saul, Angel, The Jeffersons, Laverne and Shirley, and even Mork & Mindy) took a character and then expanded on him/her.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 pm

ABED wrote:No, I mean that very often when people talk about spin-offs they want to see some concept or idea or premise play out. The most successful spinoffs that I can think of took a character and then expanded on him/her.
So they cant do that with these new characters? I think some of these characters have a strong enough personality that they could carry a show. While some people might not like or find them interesting, i think the U6 saiyans have potential to do this but thats just one example. I'm not advocating they should make spin offs its just a what if. I dont think something like this would actually happen. The concept of a interconnected universe is a very American idea that i think that Japanese aren't necessarily interested in.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:No, I mean that very often when people talk about spin-offs they want to see some concept or idea or premise play out. The most successful spinoffs that I can think of took a character and then expanded on him/her.
So they cant do that with these new characters? I think some of these characters have a strong enough personality that they could carry a show. While some people might not like or find them interesting, i think the U6 saiyans have potential to do this but thats just one example. I'm not advocating they should make spin offs its just a what if. I dont think something like this would actually happen. The concept of a interconnected universe is a very American idea that i think that Japanese aren't necessarily interested in.
No, because they don't want to get to know new characters, what they really seem to want is world building and expansion of the lore.

Potential is vague.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 am

Dragon Ball Universe

A Netflix Original Series

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:16 am

If Shueisha decides to keep the franchise going long after Toriyama is too burnt out to even do character designs anymore (which they will, and are currently doing right now to a certain extent), then yes, I would like to see more stuff that doesn't focus solely on Goku and co. Not necessarily new shows, I think that's pushing it too far, but maybe some more spinoff mangas focusing on other characters, alien races, or even going in-depth about the history of the world. However, I'd only be interested in stuff like this if it's done by dedicated people that really care about the stories. If Shueisha went through with a Dragon Ball expanded universe, it would most likely be accomplished by them throwing a few people into a room and forcing them to churn this shit out by the hour, so I'm not in a rush to see this kind of stuff happen for real.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello