What are the best DBZ Movie 1-13 Fullscreen releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: What are the best DBZ Movie 1-13 Fullscreen releases?

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Puto wrote:Actually, the streaming master for movie 1 (and movie 2) is missing the opening credits.
Oh yeah, I forgot they used the creditless OP. Still, that's only a minor annoyance, and the title cards are all correct.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 pm

They probably used the creditless OP for the first two movies because the credited OP was shifted vertically to fit better in widescreen, leading to some really awkward borders when watching in fullscreen.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 am

Puto wrote:They probably used the creditless OP for the first two movies because the credited OP was shifted vertically to fit better in widescreen, leading to some really awkward borders when watching in fullscreen.
I always did think that was why those black bars were there in the DVD single of movie 2. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

For those unaware. It doesn't affect every shot; just the ones pictured.

I suppose that explains why they used a unique OP for movie 3.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:39 am

Robo4900 wrote:I suppose that explains why they used a unique OP for movie 3.
Also makes for a great montage that tells some of the story!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:46 am

KBABZ wrote:Also makes for a great montage that tells some of the story!
That too. :D

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:27 am

Does any one else who owns some of the FUNi movie/special releases from the early 2000's notice that some of them are split into 3 files? Like when you watch, it pauses at certain point while the next part loads I.e: Coolers Revenge, after Piccolo kills Sauza, Lord Slug: After the title card and in History of Trunks: Just before the end credits.

This is the Madman release I'm referring to, from memory my Return of Cooler DVD didn't do it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:57 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:Does any one else who owns some of the FUNi movie/special releases from the early 2000's notice that some of them are split into 3 files? Like when you watch, it pauses at certain point while the next part loads I.e: Coolers Revenge, after Piccolo kills Sauza, Lord Slug: After the title card and in History of Trunks: Just before the end credits.

This is the Madman release I'm referring to, from memory my Return of Cooler DVD didn't do it.
That's probably a branching thing.
Any pieces of the movie with something the dub wants to change, such as a title card, has that section of the movie on the disc twice, with a set of instructions in the movie's files to tell the player which one to play, depending on which option you selected in the setup menu.

Usually this is seamless, but some players(Especially older ones) trip up slightly on branched segments.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:15 am

Robo4900 wrote:
supersaiyandoctor wrote:Does any one else who owns some of the FUNi movie/special releases from the early 2000's notice that some of them are split into 3 files? Like when you watch, it pauses at certain point while the next part loads I.e: Coolers Revenge, after Piccolo kills Sauza, Lord Slug: After the title card and in History of Trunks: Just before the end credits.

That's probably a branching thing.
Any pieces of the movie with something the dub wants to change, such as a title card, has that section of the movie on the disc twice, with a set of instructions in the movie's files to tell the player which one to play, depending on which option you selected in the setup menu.

Usually this is seamless, but some players(Especially older ones) trip up slightly on branched segments.

That's interesting. I know the later releases don't do it, as I have the Blu rays and used to have the double features. I've tried it on multiple players including my Xbox One and Ps3 and it still does it. Makes sense though that it would be, like you said, a branching thing.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:02 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:That's interesting. I know the later releases don't do it, as I have the Blu rays and used to have the double features. I've tried it on multiple players including my Xbox One and Ps3 and it still does it. Makes sense though that it would be, like you said, a branching thing.
Yeah. The later releases don't use branching, to the dismay of many fans. I believe the final volume of Ultimate Uncut in 2006 was the last time a Dragon Ball home release used branching. That's why the new releases of Z use that weird instrumental for the opening song instead of Rock The Dragon, the Ultimate Uncut opening theme, or the Bruce Faulconer opening theme; they all used different visuals for the opening, so they wouldn't fit the Japanese opening footage. It's also why the title cards on the newer releases are always in English, even if you select Japanese(Which can lead to some oddities...).
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 am

Robo4900 wrote:
supersaiyandoctor wrote: the Ultimate Uncut opening theme
That is so early 2000s it hurts.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Orange Bricks used branching, and were the last releases to do so.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:30 am

Danfun64 wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure the Orange Bricks used branching, and were the last releases to do so.
I don't think they did...

Can someone check this to confirm?