Non-Japanese speakers, have you watched Japanese DB/Z without subtitles?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Non-Japanese speakers, have you watched Japanese DB/Z without subtitles?

Post by Forte224 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:33 pm

I've been considering this. With regards to Z specifically, I know the story so well that I feel like I could watch and not really be affected by no subtitles. Has anyone done this? Was it interesting or nothing too spectacular? Just curious.

Son Perfect

Re: Non-Japanese speakers, have you watched Japanese DB/Z without subtitles?

Post by Son Perfect » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:57 pm

I've watched the first DBZ TV special without subtitles and it felt like taking off my training wheels. I had a rough understanding what the characters are saying from the few Japanese words I've picked up. Without having the burden to read every piece of dialogue, I felt really special experiencing what the original broadcast might have felt like (maybe since it was broadcast audio but I think it was a bit of both). I wish I knew Japanese! :(
I love Gohan a bit too much...

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Not DB or Z bit before Crunchyroll I used to watch DBS live with no subs. It was a pretty fun experience going by only visuals and the occasional name or word I knew.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Not DB or Z bit before Crunchyroll I used to watch DBS live with no subs. It was a pretty fun experience going by only visuals and the occasional name or word I knew.
Ah yes I did that once before Crunchyroll too but I can't remember the episode. It was in the Black Arc and it was pretty exposition heavy is all I remember so I was pretty annoyed haha. But better than waiting a whole 8 hours for fansubs to be done am I right?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Not DB or Z bit before Crunchyroll I used to watch DBS live with no subs. It was a pretty fun experience going by only visuals and the occasional name or word I knew.
Ah yes I did that once before Crunchyroll too but I can't remember the episode. It was in the Black Arc and it was pretty exposition heavy is all I remember so I was pretty annoyed haha. But better than waiting a whole 8 hours for fansubs to be done am I right?
Yeah exactly. I remember flipping out when they had the Buu flashback in Trunks’ timeline.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 am

Nah, still not at the level that allows me to have anime as background noise.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?