Replacing Goku's VA?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Replacing Goku's VA?

Post by 8bitdee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:34 am

With Hiromi Tsuru passing away recently, replacing her (and other characters who have been given new VAs) isn't much a big deal since Bulma was mostly a supporting character. But what if something were to happen to Masako Nozawa? She is in her 80s after all (I don't know how she's capable of still doing those legendary screams).

Do you think Toei would replace her? I imagine if they were in the middle of production of a new series, they'd finish it with a new VA since they'd probably rather not lose all that money by cancelling a show. But what if something were to happen in between show productions (ASSUMING there is a new series they'll be releasing later after the 2018 movie)? Would they cancel going into production out of respect because of how much the character is connected to her?

How would the fans react to either a cancellation of DB show/other related products or a replacement considering her importance to the character?

DB1984
Banned

Re: Replacing Goku's VA?

Post by DB1984 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 am

She teaches voice acting a lot, from what I know about her. I'm sure she has an understudy or so at hand.

If they plan on replacing her, it would be best if they did it while she is still alive, so as to lessen the blow in Japan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:05 am

I think they already have her replacement. In terms of when we'll see said replacement, I think it'll be smart to replace her while she's alive as it'll make the blow of losing Goku's voice a lot easier to deal with if it's due to old age and not a death.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:15 pm

8bitdee wrote:With Hiromi Tsuru passing away recently, replacing her (and other characters who have been given new VAs) isn't much a big deal since Bulma was mostly a supporting character. But what if something were to happen to Masako Nozawa? She is in her 80s after all (I don't know how she's capable of still doing those legendary screams).

Do you think Toei would replace her? I imagine if they were in the middle of production of a new series, they'd finish it with a new VA since they'd probably rather not lose all that money by cancelling a show. But what if something were to happen in between show productions (ASSUMING there is a new series they'll be releasing later after the 2018 movie)? Would they cancel going into production out of respect because of how much the character is connected to her?

How would the fans react to either a cancellation of DB show/other related products or a replacement considering her importance to the character?
I apologise if I come across as harsh or, perhaps, insensitive, but it is a bit ridiculous to suggest that a company would consider cancelling a potentially successful show because one of the principal actors retired or died. It's like saying nobody can ever play the character of Spock because it was a role so connected to Leonard Nimoy. But a franchise is bigger than any one actor. No matter what job or role there is in life, everybody is replaceable.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Unlike Bulma, Goku is the main MAIN character, and in Japan a cultural icon. I don't think he'll be easily recast.

I also don't think Toriyama would want Dragonball to continue without Nozawa. Dragonball should end with her. For stuff like the videogames just re-use old sound clips.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:34 pm

precita wrote:Unlike Bulma, Goku is the main MAIN character, and in Japan a cultural icon. I don't think he'll be easily recast.

I also don't think Toriyama would want Dragonball to continue without Nozawa. Dragonball should end with her. For stuff like the videogames just re-use old sound clips.
I think people are living in a fantasy land if they think Dragon Ball will stop once Nozawa dies (or Toriyama, at this point). Star Wars didn't stop because Mark Hamill got old and it won't stop once he dies.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 pm

They will find a replacement VA, they might have one already, who knows.

As others already said, it's better if they replace Nozawa while she is still alive, altough I doubt Toei would do that, wasn't there a uproar in Japan when Goku grew up and he had a different voice, so that they had to get Nozawa back?

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 am

Nozawa has always voiced adult Goku.