Does FUNimation not care to release DB/GT on Blu-ray?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Does FUNimation not care to release DB/GT on Blu-ray?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Movies 1-4 have been reportedly remastered in HD, Movie 4 has definitely been and it's available digitally on FUNi's own website. The GT TV-Special is available on Blu-ray in Latin America but no one has yet said if it's a remaster or an upscale. The reason I'd like to get these movies over the Dragon Box version is because they're in fullscreen rather than widescreen and that for me is a huge advantage.

Unfortunately, the only Dragon Ball Blu-ray releases by FUNimation are just DBZ Orange Bricks V2, the Z Movies/Specials (Orange Brick treatment) and Dragon Ball Super.

Now that I think about it, considering Movies 1-4 were remastered by FUNimation then there's a probable chance A Hero's Legacy may be FUNimation's work too.

Dragon Ball - Movies 1-4 & GT TV-Special BDs by ZIMA:
ImageImageImageImage

Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Does FUNimation not care to release DB/GT on Blu-ray?

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:26 pm

As far as I know everything apart from Z's episodes, 13 movies & 2 specials are upscaled s Toei hasn't given anyone the film masters to the none Z material.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:58 pm

sintzu wrote:As far as I know everything apart from Z's episodes, 13 movies & 2 specials are upscaled s Toei hasn't given anyone the film masters to the none Z material.
zima bluray for db movies 1-2-3-4 are True HD for sure
does it look upscale for you?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:00 pm

I've wondered this as well as I really would love to have the rest of the series on bluray and Funimation doesn't seem to care to over saturate the market with products and I doubt that it wouldn't be profitable for them to release them(maybe not as much as z) but still.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
sintzu wrote:As far as I know everything apart from Z's episodes, 13 movies & 2 specials are upscaled s Toei hasn't given anyone the film masters to the none Z material.
you can't tell from that small screenshot.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 am

sintzu wrote:upscaled s Toei hasn't given anyone the film masters to the none Z material.
Nah, the movies all have film masters available, and thus true HD masters exist; Funimation did some nice scans of the four DB movies, that's the HD master you see around.

But, no one's bought film for DB or GT thus far, so no Blu-Ray release. Funimation likely just don't care enough to buy film.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:Orange Bricks V2
Unrelated to the topic at hand, but is there an official name for the DBZ Blu-Rays? If not, I say we unofficially dub them the Blu Bricks.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:36 am

LordCrumb wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
you can't tell from that small screenshot.
it's available on funimation website and it was already discussed someone here that it's true HD, it's the same transfer (with same issue of movie 2) i'll make screenshot when i'll have time straight from them