Demon King Piccolo appreciation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Demon King Piccolo appreciation

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Pretty much my favorite Pre-Z Dragon Ball villain. It gave us the Piccolo we come to know in love and learned who created the Dragon Balls, Kami.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Demon King Piccolo appreciation

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Piccolo is my favourite villain in the Dragon Ball franchise.
Piccolo Junior, aswell as Piccolo Junior and King Piccolo collectively, is my favourite character in the Dragon Ball franchise.

In my view, Piccolo is the best in pretty much every way.

And damn was the Piccolo arc a lateral move; first major character death(Quickly followed by several more), first time Goku was just straight-up curb-stomped by the villain... Hell, Piccolo actually succeeded in his evil plan; he'd taken over the world, no one else could have made a wish to stop him... Man was that arc a wild ride.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 pm

King Piccolo arc is definitely my favorite in the entirety of the franchise. I feel like every time I rewatch the show, I find myself the most invested and interested during this arc. The pacing is superb and all the juicy back story you learn from Roshi is fantastic.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 am

He's easily my favourite villain in the whole series. His introduction just shattered what was expected and he was the first villain to really strike fear into my heart.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:22 am

I appreciate King Piccolo whenever he included in any Dragon Ball product. I was ecstatic when he was included in Budokai Tenkaichi 3's roster and the Revenge of King Piccolo was an underrated game because of how powerful that arc was.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:03 am

Favorite villain (mostly because of how overused Freeza is) and for someone who started with DB, his appearance was memorable as the first real threat. I also liked the demonic aspect to him,and wish they would've kept it around with Piccolo Jr.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 am

Dark backstory(thx to Mashahiro Shimanuki's filler).Check

Interesting design. Check

Intriguing character. Check

Top-notch voice acting. Check

Character development. Check

King Piccolo/Daimou is by far dopest DragonBall villain

Of course we've got RRA, Tao Pao Pai & even Ma. Jr/our beloved Piccolo-san

Be damned if Old Piccolo Daimou didnt strike fear!

Anime filler narrated by Roshi may give an eerie vibe about the ancient demon. You gotta admit King Piccolo justified every bit of the hype & his accomplishments speak volume of his character

I actually liked Old version compared to his Younger version cuz Toriyama stripped away Old Daimou's wisdom & laid-back nature which were 2 unique traits missed in most Z-villains (Frieza, Cell, Boo)

Dude's got this masterful plan & stops at nothing to acheive it. Dat itself makes me mark King Piccolo as dopest baddie along with Imperfect Cell

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Vijay wrote:Dark backstory(thx to Mashahiro Shimanuki's filler).Check

Interesting design. Check

Intriguing character. Check

Top-notch voice acting. Check

Character development. Check

King Piccolo/Daimou is by far dopest DragonBall villain

Of course we've got RRA, Tao Pao Pai & even Ma. Jr/our beloved Piccolo-san

Be damned if Old Piccolo Daimou didnt strike fear!

Anime filler narrated by Roshi may give an eerie vibe about the ancient demon. You gotta admit King Piccolo justified every bit of the hype & his accomplishments speak volume of his character

I actually liked Old version compared to his Younger version cuz Toriyama stripped away Old Daimou's wisdom & laid-back nature which were 2 unique traits missed in most Z-villains (Frieza, Cell, Boo)

Dude's got this masterful plan & stops at nothing to acheive it. Dat itself makes me mark King Piccolo as dopest baddie along with Imperfect Cell
Plus, he did the one thing that has not been repeated since: he killed the dragon after he made his wish.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Definitely one of the best villains. This arc is really what caught my eye about the original Dragonball and remains my favorite. Demon King Piccolo was a legitimate threat, actually thought to kill the Dragon so no wishes could be used against him and he’s just got this intimidating presence about him. When I first saw this arc, what kind of stuck with me was how once he took power, he spoke about destroying city each year and that they”lucky ones” that were chosen last get to live in fear for years and years!

That also makes Piccolo’s eventual turn all the more intriguing once you see how cold and cruel he originally was.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:32 pm

About the only thing that spoils it, for me at least, is the really repetitive use of the new Piccolo themes. Which is a shame because he has a pretty good one.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Piccolo Daimao was a really cool and interesting villain and heck, I kinda wish they'd have brought him back to Z at some point or even on one of the movies. It never happened.

Dragon Ball Z now has 15 movies (16 with the one upcoming) so one fifth for Dragon Ball wouldn't hurt them.

"Dragon Ball: Movie 5 - The Return of Piccolo Daimao!!"

That's a movie I'd love to watch! Also, with Super in the crapper, the Dragon Ball franchise is looking much better now in terms of quality movies. :)
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:first time Goku was just straight-up curb-stomped by the villain
Good post and I agree with everything else here, but I wouldn't say that Goku put up the best fight against Tao Pai Pai the first time. :P
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
Good post and I agree with everything else here, but I wouldn't say that Goku put up the best fight against Tao Pai Pai the first time. :P
True, although Tao wasn't the main villain of the arc, and he was shielded by the Four Star Ball. With Daimao, his heart flat-out stopped!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:44 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Dr. Casey wrote:
True, although Tao wasn't the main villain of the arc, and he was shielded by the Four Star Ball. With Daimao, his heart flat-out stopped!
Haha, good point, I'd kinda forgotten about Tao.

Still, as you say, I suppose Tao wasn't the main villain of the arc, so that excuse kinda works, so technically I'm still right! :lol:

Thanks though, Dr. Casey, for the compliment about my post. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Demon King Piccolo, was a interesting character, I was just 5-6 years old when his arc aired in Germany back then, and I liked him as a villain right from the start, being responsible for the deaths of Kuririn and Muten Roshi and having gotten his wish from the Dragon Balls, and then destroying Shenlong, made things go pretty dark after being a Gag-Adventure story at first, King Piccolo still remains being one of my favorite villains in the entire Dragon Ball Franchise.

To bad that he never came back somehow, like for example, appearing in Piccolo Jr's mind in a similar manner to how Kami and Nail did in the ToP.