Something superior to arguing canon: entertainment order.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Something superior to arguing canon: entertainment order.

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:02 pm

johnboy1 wrote:However, the two "TV Special" clipshows appear to be missing.
I'd slap those in the timeskip after the Baba Yaga Saga. Who knows, maybe Goku did pick up firefighting and traffic safety as part of his wordly training!

As for Jaco, I'd almost be inclined to read it before Dragon Ball itself. How appropriate would that be?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:40 pm

KBABZ wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:However, the two "TV Special" clipshows appear to be missing.
I'd slap those in the timeskip after the Baba Yaga Saga. Who knows, maybe Goku did pick up firefighting and traffic safety as part of his wordly training!

As for Jaco, I'd almost be inclined to read it before Dragon Ball itself. How appropriate would that be?
Baba Yaga Saga? I hope this doesn't catch on.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:07 pm

ABED wrote:Baba Yaga Saga? I hope this doesn't catch on.
I do. It's hilarious.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.
Would you mind if I put this in my signature?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:My preferred viewing order is based on approximate release / chronological order and where the best stopping points are. I placed the movies after the main arcs of the series since these arcs don't really have any good stopping points within them. It'd be awkward to go and see a movie in the middle of an arc, so for me it kind of worked better to marathon them afterwords. Dead Zone has to go before the Garlic Jr. arc, as well. I placed the two Z movies last since seeing them before GT would make the latter seem like a technical downgrade. I don't recommend Kai to newcomers, since it skips over the original DB, and no matter which version you watch, going from the original DB to Kai to GT is going to be really inconsistent in presentation. Furthermore, the inconsistent edits in the series would make it confusing to newer viewers. I would instead recommend it if one is still interested after seeing the original, and going into Super after that, which keeps the feel consistent. In the same that I'd urge one to play the original version of a game before its remake. This order works for both the Japanese original and the Funimation dub on the bricks and Blu-Rays.

[spoiler]Dragon Ball
-All 153 Episodes
-Movies 1-3

Dragon Ball Z
-Episodes 1-107
-Special 1 and Movies 1-5
-Episodes 108-194
-Special 2 and Movies 6-9
-Episodes 195-291
-Movies 10-13

Dragon Ball GT
-DB Movie 4
-All 64 Episodes
-GT Special

-Dragon Ball Z Movies 14-15

New Broadcast
-All 167 Dragon Ball Z Kai Episodes (Optional, I suppose)
-All 131 Dragon Ball Super Episodes
-Upcoming Movie, Possibly?[/spoiler]
That's actually a pretty good viewing order. I might try doing it that way from now on.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:03 pm

That's a good idea, though I would make a few changes. Put DBZ movie 1 before DBZ episode 1, Bardock special before the Freeza fight, the Trunks special either before he arrives or after he leaves the first time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:19 pm

ABED wrote:Baba Yaga Saga? I hope this doesn't catch on.
It's a pet name, it only really applies to me, heh.
PremiumSalt wrote:Would you mind if I put this in my signature?
I'm not Kunzait, but I thought I'd put in my 2c. I think the whole paragraph is a bit long for a signature, I'd have it as:
No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. ... You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 pm

ABED wrote:That's a good idea, though I would make a few changes. Put DBZ movie 1 before DBZ episode 1, Bardock special before the Freeza fight, the Trunks special either before he arrives or after he leaves the first time.
Those are good, too, but I was thinking of it from the perspective of a newcomer. Since Dead Zone doesn't really fit, it'd be confusing before Raditz. If one really wants to see it early on, it'd probably be best during that long batch of training filler. The Trunks special could easily fit during the pre-Cell Games filler. The Bardock special is a little harder since there isn't much downtime during the Frieza arc. It depends on preferences, I guess. I always like to keep it simple by limiting Movies and Specials between arcs.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
ABED wrote:That's a good idea, though I would make a few changes. Put DBZ movie 1 before DBZ episode 1, Bardock special before the Freeza fight, the Trunks special either before he arrives or after he leaves the first time.
Those are good, too, but I was thinking of it from the perspective of a newcomer. Since Dead Zone doesn't really fit, it'd be confusing before Raditz. If one really wants to see it early on, it'd probably be best during that long batch of training filler. The Trunks special could easily fit during the pre-Cell Games filler. The Bardock special is a little harder since there isn't much downtime during the Frieza arc. It depends on preferences, I guess. I always like to keep it simple by limiting Movies and Specials between arcs.
I don't see how it would be confusing or at least any less confusing if you watch it during training filler. VERY few of the movies fit and watching the movie before the series not only is correct chronologically, it doesn't interrupt the flow of the story.

There is downtime before the fight against Freeza and right after Ginyu's defeat. And the Trunks special makes WAY more sense before the Cell Games because it has nothing to do with Cell.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Those are good, too, but I was thinking of it from the perspective of a newcomer. Since Dead Zone doesn't really fit, it'd be confusing before Raditz. If one really wants to see it early on, it'd probably be best during that long batch of training filler. The Trunks special could easily fit during the pre-Cell Games filler. The Bardock special is a little harder since there isn't much downtime during the Frieza arc. It depends on preferences, I guess. I always like to keep it simple by limiting Movies and Specials between arcs.
IMO a first-time Dragon Ball watcher shouldn't be watching the movies at all during the series unless it's BoG or RoF, and save the older ones until after.

Anyways, an interesting alternative would be to replicate the Japanese premiere dates during the series itself, which the show sometimes accounted for by taking the week off (I'm using the English subtitles because, WotD aside, they're a hell of a lot more helpful in reminding you what they're about than the Japanese ones!):

[spoiler]
  • Curse of the Blood Rubies: DB 44/45 - right between the two Dreamland filler episodes
  • Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle: DB 70/71 - just before the Invisible Man fight
  • A Mystical Great Adventure: DB 118/119 - after Tien intercepts King Piccolo and confronts Drum
  • Return My Gohan!!: DBZ 11/12 - after the Vegeta/Nappa excursion filler
  • World's Strongest: DBZ 39/40 - after the orphan spaceship filler
  • Tree of Might: DBZ 54/55 - after Krillin is powered up and Zarbon recovers Vegeta
  • Lord Slug: DBZ 81/82 - after Piccolo fights 2nd Form Frieza
  • Cooler's Revenge: DBZ 96/97 - after Goku uses Super Saiyan power for the first time on Frieza
  • Return of Cooler: DBZ 130/131 - after 19's death and Gero attempts to flee
  • Super Android 13: DBZ 143/144 - after Cell tells Piccolo about himself and his plan
  • Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan: DBZ 176/177 - Mr. Satan enters the Cell Games
  • Bojack Unbound: DBZ 192/193 - after Cell's defeat and Shenron is summoned at the Lookout
  • Broly - Second Coming: DBZ 220/221 - after Babidi's reveal
  • Bio-Broly: DBZ 232/233 - after Buu is revived
  • Fusion Reborn: DBZ 258/259 - after Gotenks wastes time on Buu and Piccolo facepalms
  • Wrath of the Dragon: DBZ 270/271 - after Vegetto fights Buu for a second episode
  • The Path to Power: GT 4/5 - after the Black Star Gang recover their spaceship from Don Kia
  • A Hero's Legacy: GT 41/42 - just before the villains are released from Hell, again
[/spoiler]
I also had a unique idea on what to do with the two GT entries. Watch them both back to back. The idea is that they're somewhat thematically linked; Path to Power is about leaving Mount Paozu, while Hero's Legacy is about returning to it.

---
ABED wrote:There is downtime before the fight against Freeza and right after Ginyu's defeat. And the Trunks special makes WAY more sense before the Cell Games because it has nothing to do with Cell.
It also serves as a helpful refresher because, in a few episodes time, we'll see Trunks go back and fix that Timeline.
Last edited by KBABZ on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:00 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:Would you mind if I put this in my signature?
Knock yourself out.
Shaddy wrote:
sintzu wrote:
That's what they did. Goku and Majin Vegeta's fight mostly happened of page in the manga while the anime showed us an entire fight, one that was anticipated for years. What a disappointment it must've been for manga only readers at the time to see such a bult up fight be pushed to the side.

The same thing happened with Goku's fight against Kid Buu, in the manga it was less than a chapter long while the anime gave it 2 episodes which are among the anime's best choreographed fights.
I remember more standing around talking than fighting there. Again, it's hardly worth it when most of what's actually taking up the space is just people reacting to things.
This is totally disingenuous. Goku vs Majin Vegeta and Goku vs Kid Boo in the anime are both INSANELY HEAVY on added fight material. Yes there's also added dialogue (more so with Goku vs Majin Vegeta), but to claim that there's "more standing around talking" added than there is actual fighting isn't just misleading, its thoroughly and completely wrong and the exact opposite of the actual content in those particular episodes, which contain some of the best animated/choreographed and all around most action packed fights in the entire anime.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 am

DBZ Kai.

For anyone who generally prefers audio-visual entertainment over reading, DBZ Kai is by far the best and most accessible way to experience the best portion of the DB franchise. A lot of fans are kinda home blind when it comes to comparing Kai to Z and claim that Z is superior due to various nitpicks (such as regarding blood and gore) but the fact is that a lot of first time viewers in todays day and age, when our attention spans are shorther than ever, would be turned of by the snail-like pacing of Z. Kai is a much safer bet to get someone new into DB.

I have so far introduced two people to the franchise through DBZ Kai, and I will continue to first and foremost recommend Kai to anyone else that I think could become a fan of the franchise.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:43 am

Puaru wrote:A lot of fans are kinda home blind when it comes to comparing Kai to Z and claim that Z is superior due to various nitpicks (such as regarding blood and gore)
Funnily enough, while I'm unfamiliar with Z, most of the so-called censoring that exists on the Blu-Ray version is either A) Already present in the original Z, such as Gohan killing the Cell Jrs in puffs of smoke rather than spattered guts, or B) Making it more accurate to the manga anyway, like how the hole Piccolo Makangosappo'd in Goku's Chest was over-gored in the original animation. I'm guessing said fans are going off the NickToons version, which is basically 100% inaccessible at this point so they probably continue to use it to eke some life into the zombified corpse that is their argument. (and I don't think anyone's losing any sleep over not seeing any Saiyan wangs anymore)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:08 am

KBABZ wrote:It also serves as a helpful refresher because, in a few episodes time, we'll see Trunks go back and fix that Timeline.
I get that but Trunks feels so superfluous in the Cell Games. I feel the ominous tone in the TV special meshes better in the early part of the arc than before the Cell Games.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:27 am

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:It also serves as a helpful refresher because, in a few episodes time, we'll see Trunks go back and fix that Timeline.
I get that but Trunks feels so superfluous in the Cell Games. I feel the ominous tone in the TV special meshes better in the early part of the arc than before the Cell Games.
Well another appropriate spot could be after episode 139. Here Trunks divulges a little bit more about his timeline and why he went back in time, acting as a nice herring for the audience to lead into the special.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:41 am

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:
Well another appropriate spot could be after episode 139. Here Trunks divulges a little bit more about his timeline and why he went back in time, acting as a nice herring for the audience to lead into the special.
And I think by that point, hadn't 17 and 18 been activated?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 am

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:I get that but Trunks feels so superfluous in the Cell Games. I feel the ominous tone in the TV special meshes better in the early part of the arc than before the Cell Games.
And I think by that point, hadn't 17 and 18 been activated?
Yeah, 17 and 18 will have been active for six episodes at that point (four in Kai), so that particular spoiler will remain untarnished for a new viewer. An extra bonus is that episode 140 has Trunks and Gohan go on a mini-adventure, which is poignant for the audience given what happens in the Trunks special.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:This is totally disingenuous. Goku vs Majin Vegeta and Goku vs Kid Boo in the anime are both INSANELY HEAVY on added fight material. Yes there's also added dialogue (more so with Goku vs Majin Vegeta), but to claim that there's "more standing around talking" added than there is actual fighting isn't just misleading, its thoroughly and completely wrong and the exact opposite of the actual content in those particular episodes, which contain some of the best animated/choreographed and all around most action packed fights in the entire anime.
I still say it's not worth it. If they wanted to add to the fight that's fine, but they should have only added the action scenes. I'm not really gonna care how well-animated it is when there's still enough meandering around and posturing for me to get bored with the episode as a whole. I'm considering this from the perspective of someone new trying to watch a TV show, not myself sifting through posts on sakugabooru. This is true for a lot of the fights in the anime. You can say the manga version is rushed, but I'd take something rushed enough that I can forget about it or move on to what I like over something drawn-out and dull that leaves me worn out enough to not want to watch any more. This is also the reason Sonic 06 is still worse than Sonic Boom, for anyone wondering.

To put it bluntly, adding enough extra that I get bored is worse than adding nothing at all.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:06 am

Shaddy wrote:You can say the manga version is rushed, but I'd take something rushed enough that I can forget about it or move on to what I like over something drawn-out and dull that leaves me worn out enough to not want to watch any more.
That Sonic avatar is pretty fitting, huh? :P

I want to think I can understand where you're coming from. While I've seen and enjoyed a ton of DBZ as a kid, including drawn-out material like Gohan's high school adventures, I'm wary of recommending it all to anyone coming to me with interest in seeing the show as well. As useless as I'd initially thought Kai was upon its reveal, I now praise it for being that fat-free hero we all need. Afterall, I can't fault someone for not wanting to see all of what DragonBall offers when I'm probably never gonna' touch One Piece due to its own length.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:57 am

Shaddy wrote:I still say it's not worth it. If they wanted to add to the fight that's fine, but they should have only added the action scenes. I'm not really gonna care how well-animated it is when there's still enough meandering around and posturing for me to get bored with the episode as a whole. I'm considering this from the perspective of someone new trying to watch a TV show, not myself sifting through posts on sakugabooru.

To put it bluntly, adding enough extra that I get bored is worse than adding nothing at all.
You seem to limit the anime to DBZ. As to your point about considering someone new to the show, I will reiterate, DBZ was popular all over the world, bad pacing and all. And at least now there's Kai that helps with the pacing issues.

It's not so much about not adding anything, it's that certain moments aren't allowed to breathe or aren't given enough focus and so they lay limp, which can also be boring. Just going quickly isn't the same thing as being exciting.
Lightdasher wrote:I can't fault someone for not wanting to see all of what DragonBall offers when I'm probably never gonna' touch One Piece due to its own length.
It's not length so much as how long a show takes to get good. I nearly gave up on The Wire because of that issue.