Something superior to arguing canon: entertainment order.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Something superior to arguing canon: entertainment order.

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight was pure fluff. There was no weight behind it, just a minor plot point to revive Buu and the anime DRAGS that fight on so much it becomes boring. Everytime they cut back I'm like are we still on this dumb fight? There are far more important things going on and they keep cutting away to this stupid fight.

Toriyama knew this and didn't waste his readers time, the fight had one purpose and that was to revive Buu. A Goku vs Vegeta should not be a minor plot point.
Completely disagree. This fight has a ton of weight behind it. Vegeta has hated Goku since he met him and he's been driven to be better than him ever since his defeat on Earth. This felt inevitable. These are two of the main characters coming into conflict and need it be said again that it's not a superhero story. Yes, stopping Buu was important, but so is their fight. If you really think that the fight had one purpose, then I don't think you truly understand the characters.
Then Vegetto, Toei made his plan seem even more stupid by dragging it out, like kill Buu and revive the others simple, but the anime had Vegetto completely dominate Buu to the point it's like the plan was pointless and dumb then. Again Toriyama was good enough to not waste his readers time with what was just yet another minor plot point.
The point of a story is not to get the end as quickly as possible. It's to put obstacles in the path of the characters - i.e. to keep the characters from getting what they want.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:37 pm

The point of Vegetto wasn't killing Boo. Vegetto's plan from the start was baiting Boo into absorbing him. Whether the anime added fluff or not, it doesn't matter, considering Vegetto isn't worried about killing him and is just waiting for the precise moment Boo finally gives in.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
That's what they did. Goku and Majin Vegeta's fight mostly happened of page in the manga while the anime showed us an entire fight, one that was anticipated for years. What a disappointment it must've been for manga only readers at the time to see such a bult up fight be pushed to the side.

The same thing happened with Goku's fight against Kid Buu, in the manga it was less than a chapter long while the anime gave it 2 episodes which are among the anime's best choreographed fights.
I remember more standing around talking than fighting there. Again, it's hardly worth it when most of what's actually taking up the space is just people reacting to things. By all rights, if Toei had simply bloated that fight as much as any other in the manga, it might have come out as refreshing for it's pace and brevity without feeling rushed, but this only shows just how much they've bloated the series do to the fact that that fight is as drawling and dull as most of the Z anime's fights.
ABED wrote:It's not a distraction. It's better just by virtue of not being a lazy deus ex machina. How is it a distraction and what is the plot supposed to be about?
First off, the plot at that point is about fighting Piccolo. Even if you're planning on pulling the ol "Dragon Ball is about Goku's growth you can't say it's about anything else", it's still kinda bullshit. Dedicating as much time as it does to what's basically just Goku walking to an instant boost rather than how he becomes stronger through it or what he does with that strength, when it's a nonsensical powerup like this, is just meaningless time-killing in a series that, even as a manga, takes a lot to finish off it's villains.

Second, the ultra divine water is going to be a deus ex machina no matter what, because it's literally just something Goku drinks and then it makes him stronger. No training or grand understanding of one's opponent is needed because it's literally just whether he's strong enough to not die, which we all know he's going to be because he's god damned Goku and the villain's still around. Korin magically had (or remembered he had) it, and that's dumb and not good storytelling, but is him remembering it exists and then sending Goku and Yajirobe on an episode-and-a-half fetch quest for it really any less of an asspull just cause it takes longer to get there?

Third, all that aside, what do we even have instead in the anime? Some bumbling around a frozen land, a trippy scene of Goku aruging with fake people and a weird demon, and then the exact same outcome for drinking the water as in the manga. No lessons learned, no new revelations about the characters or world, it's not even really fun to watch. So why even bother?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:41 pm

The goal of a story is to not get to the end as quick as possible. The goal of any good story is to keep the characters from getting what they want. While I can appreciate quick pacing, it has its drawbacks. We might understand something, but we won't necessarily feel it emotionally.
I remember more standing around talking than fighting there. Again, it's hardly worth it when most of what's actually taking up the space is just people reacting to things. By all rights, if Toei had simply bloated that fight as much as any other in the manga, it might have come out as refreshing for it's pace and brevity without feeling rushed, but this only shows just how much they've bloated the series do to the fact that that fight is as drawling and dull as most of the Z anime's fights.
The manga's pacing isn't perfect. In fact it often feels VERY rushed, especially in the Buu arc, which has this odd feeling of both being dragged out to death but still rushing towards the end. As to your memory of the Vegeta vs. Goku fight, that's how you remember it, but I think you're wrong. It's intense and hard hitting.
Come to think about it most of the epic moments in the Buu arc were just that minor plot points/devices. Goku vs Majin Vegeta only happened so to revive Buu, Vegeta's sacrifice amounted to nothing other than getting Vegeta out the picture, SS3 was a way to drain Goku's time and get him out the way and Buu vs Vegetto only happened to get to Pure Buu.
They're reversals. When done well they can help subvert expectations. None of these things are done JUST to get to something else. Vegeta giving up his life is a satisfying character moment and helps build tension with Buu. None of that is minor and you practically use plot device as a pejorative.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 pm

ABED wrote:The goal of a story is to not get to the end as quick as possible. The goal of any good story is to keep the characters from getting what they want. While I can appreciate quick pacing, it has its drawbacks. We might understand something, but we won't necessarily feel it emotionally.
Except not rushing things is not the same as bloating your series with meaningless side affairs. Nobody's arguing that we don't need time to get invested in characters, but filler does none of that, because it cannot develop story or character elements beyond the source material. It's not a story moving slowly, it's a story not moving at all. And I have no idea how something being not strictly quickly, but properly paced is going to ruin anyone's emotional investment. If anything, I know for a fact many people have become bored and eventually lost interest in Dragon Ball because it's story could progress so slowly. A story always needs to be moving, and it always needs to be entertaining. Filler can be both of those things, and Dragon Ball's filler is neither.

The manga's pacing isn't perfect. In fact it often feels VERY rushed, especially in the Buu arc, which has this odd feeling of both being dragged out to death but still rushing towards the end. As to your memory of the Vegeta vs. Goku fight, that's how you remember it, but I think you're wrong. It's intense and hard hitting.
Oh, it totally is when fighting is what's going on. But it constantly cuts away or stops the action to talk, which lessens the general intensity of it all. After all, if your characters can just take a break to spout stuff we basically already know at each other, when they're having a battle six years in the making, or when they're supposed to be rushing to stop a villain who should be emerging in mere seconds, does it really feel like the stakes are that high? And yeah, that's a problem in the manga too, but then the adaptation should have improved things. I don't want a fight to be longer if it comes at the cost of it taking so long to finish that I get bored.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight was pure fluff. There was no weight behind it. Toriyama knew this and didn't waste his readers time.
If he knew it had no weight then why did he spends years building up their rematch ? Everything Vegeta had done after his fight on earth up to that point was mostly for that rematch. The reason he was even alive was thanks to Goku letting him go to have that rematch.

Toriyama was simply getting tired of DB at that point.
Shaddy wrote:I remember more standing around talking than fighting there.
You clearly remember it very wrong.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:42 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight was pure fluff. There was no weight behind it. Toriyama knew this and didn't waste his readers time.
If he knew it had no weight then why did he spends years building up their rematch ? Everything Vegeta had done after his fight on earth up to that point was mostly for that rematch. The reason he was even alive was thanks to Goku letting him go to have that rematch.

He didn't. Vegeta may have cared for it but Goku evidently moved on.

Even in Toei's adaptation the "fight" was still a minor plot point, you can't deny that. Compare that shitty fight to the Saiyan arc and it's night and day, Goku vs Vegeta WAS the entire plot there, not like the Buu arc. Then in hindsight the "fight" was completely destroyed when we found out Goku had SS3. It became even more meaningless.

Goku vs Majin Vegeta was just convenient for Toriyama.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 am

johnboy1 wrote:Personally, the best watch-through order for me is by release date. Specifically, this is a list of all officially dubbed/subbed material prior to Super in the proper order...

[spoiler]DB 1-43

Curse of the Blood Rubies

DB 44-70

Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle

DB 71-118

Mystical Adventure

DB 119-153

DBZ 1-11

Dead Zone

DBZ 12-39

The World's Strongest

DBZ 40-54

Tree of Might

DBZ 55-63

Bardock: The Father of Goku

DBZ 64-81

Lord Slug

DBZ 82-99

Cooler's Revenge

DBZ 100-123

"The World of Dragon Ball Z"*

DBZ 124-130

The Return of Cooler

DBZ 131-147

Super Android 13

DBZ 148-175

The History of Trunks

DBZ 176

Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

DBZ 177-192

Bojack Unbound

DBZ 193-220

Broly: Second Coming

DBZ 221-232

Bio Broly

DBZ 233-258

Fusion Reborn

DBZ 259-270

Wrath of the Dragon

DBZ 271-291

DBGT 1-4

The Path to Power

DBGT 5-16

"A Grand Problem"*

DBGT 17-41

A Hero's Legacy

DBGT 42-64

The Return of Son Goku and Friends!

Evolution

DBK 1-79

Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans

DBK 80-98

Episode of Bardock

Battle of Gods

DBK 99-155

Resurrection F

DBK 156-167

*English-only clipshows. Inserted at the points they were released/aired in the US.[/spoiler]
I agree with this order.
If you don't mind, I've written the (expanded) Japanese version.

[spoiler]Anime:
DB 1-43
DB Movie 1
DB 44-70
DB Movie 2
DB 71-112
DB Public Service Video 1-2
DB 113-118
DB Movie 3
DB 119-153
DBZ 1-11
DBZ Movie 1
DBZ 12-39
DBZ Movie 2
DBZ 40-54
DBZ Movie 3
DBZ 55-63
DBZ TV Special 1
DBZ 64-81
DBZ Movie 4
DBZ 82-99
DBZ Movie 5
DBZ 100-130
DBZ Movie 6
DBZ 131-147
DBZ Movie 7
DBZ 148-175
DBZ TV Special 2
DBZ 176
DBZ Movie 8
DBZ 177-192
DBZ Movie 9
DBZ 193-195
DBZ OVA 1-2
DBZ 196-220
DBZ Movie 10
DBZ 221-232
DBZ Movie 11
DBZ 233-258
DBZ Movie 12
DBZ 259-270
DBZ Movie 13
DBZ 271-291
DBGT 1-4
DB Movie 4
DBGT 5-41
DBGT TV Special
DBGT 42-64
DB Jump Super Anime Tour 2008 Special
DBK 1-79
DB Raging Blast 2 Special
DBK 80-98
DB Jump Festa 2012 Special
DBZ Movie 14
DBK 99-148
DBZ Movie 15
DBK 149-159
DBS 1-131
DB Movie 2018

Manga:
Dragon Ball 1-386
Dragon Ball: Trunks the Story
Dragon Ball 387-519
Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!! 1-2
Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock 1-3
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman 1-11
Dragon Ball Minus
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' 1-3
Dragon Ball Super 1-??[/spoiler]

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 am

Holy... That is a good list! I think that it's nice that you have returned to the original discussion. Well, even I have deviated from it, so I'm not attacking anyone.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:

He didn't. Vegeta may have cared for it but Goku evidently moved on.

Even in Toei's adaptation the "fight" was still a minor plot point, you can't deny that. Compare that shitty fight to the Saiyan arc and it's night and day, Goku vs Vegeta WAS the entire plot there, not like the Buu arc. Then in hindsight the "fight" was completely destroyed when we found out Goku had SS3. It became even more meaningless.

Goku vs Majin Vegeta was just convenient for Toriyama.
But Vegeta hadn't. Even if it is one sided, it mattered a lot to Vegeta. It was his biggest motivation. So yes, Toriyama did spend years building it up. Their fight was in no way a minor plot point. It was a huge deal as it was a watershed moment for Vegeta and a big reason for his change. He wanted to kill Goku so bad only to realize that he was no longer that person anymore. That's not a small thing. It has meaning for the characters, and if the Buu arc was going to be the final arc of DB, Toriyama needed pay it off.
Except not rushing things is not the same as bloating your series with meaningless side affairs. Nobody's arguing that we don't need time to get invested in characters, but filler does none of that, because it cannot develop story or character elements beyond the source material. It's not a story moving slowly, it's a story not moving at all. And I have no idea how something being not strictly quickly, but properly paced is going to ruin anyone's emotional investment. If anything, I know for a fact many people have become bored and eventually lost interest in Dragon Ball because it's story could progress so slowly. A story always needs to be moving, and it always needs to be entertaining. Filler can be both of those things, and Dragon Ball's filler is neither.
I'm not arguing in favor of Z's pacing, so let's just get that out of the way. There are FAR fewer cutaways during the action. Regarding the filler, a good example of it developing character is Gohan during the Saiyan arc. You saw his character both as a person and as a warrior and his relationship with Piccolo progress over time. In the manga, Piccolo giving his life is more of a surprise than it is a well earned character moment.

The Saiyan arc isn't properly paced, it has a good beginning and ending, but the middle part is little more than a jump cut to the day of the Saiyan arrival. And you don't have to talk to me about stories needing to be moving and entertaining. I get that, but considering DBZ (not even Kai, but Z) was incredibly popular all over the world and continues to be, I'd say that people didn't have nearly as big a problem with its pacing as some do. Do you think I'm arguing in favor of Z's pacing? I'm not, with the exception of a few things here and there, I much prefer Kai. The manga's too quick for my tastes.

If someone was rewatching DB, I would suggest DB without most of the filler arcs (e.g. Chichi's wedding dress), Kai, and the movies and TV specials strategically placed. Another reason I don't like watching the movies in the airdate order is because it could interfere with the flow of the story. I would wait for down moments such as after Freeza's defeat before watching DBZ movie 4.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:52 am

ABED wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: He didn't. Vegeta may have cared for it but Goku evidently moved on.
But Vegeta hadn't. Even if it is one sided, it mattered a lot to Vegeta. It was his biggest motivation. So yes, Toriyama did spend years building it up. Their fight was in no way a minor plot point. It was a huge deal as it was a watershed moment for Vegeta and a big reason for his change. He wanted to kill Goku so bad only to realize that he was no longer that person anymore. That's not a small thing. It has meaning for the characters, and if the Buu arc was going to be the final arc of DB, Toriyama needed pay it off.
Even Goku to a lesser degree wanted to fight him as he went as far as to threaten the Kai to move out of the way, something he wouldn't have done had he not cared as he simply could've told Vegeta he had Ssj3 and that he'd one shot him to prevent Buu from getting his power.

I don't think it's the plot point itself being unimportant but Baggie_Saiyan wanting to justify the drop in quality the manga had after the Cell arc, so much so that he's calling most plot points in the arc minor simply because Toriyama didn't spend time on them. That has nothing to do with their importance but the fact that he'd been writing manga for 15+ years with DB taking up 10 at that point. He was simply burned out but didn't think Cell was a good ending so he pushed himself further with Buu which was saved by the anime. Although it was rushed in terms of the fights, I will give Toriyama major credit for not dropping the ball on the story points as the anime wouldn't have been able to do anything if those weren't there.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:27 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: He didn't. Vegeta may have cared for it but Goku evidently moved on.
Even Goku to a lesser degree wanted to fight him as he went as far as to threaten the Kai to move out of the way, something he wouldn't have done had he not cared as he simply could've told Vegeta he had Ssj3 and that he'd one shot him to prevent Buu from getting his power.

I don't think it's the plot point itself being unimportant but Baggie_Saiyan wanting to justify the drop in quality the manga had after the Cell arc, so much so that he's calling most plot points in the arc minor simply because Toriyama didn't spend time on them. That has nothing to do with their importance but the fact that he'd been writing manga for 15+ years with DB taking up 10 at that point. He was simply burned out but didn't think Cell was a good ending so he pushed himself further with Buu which was saved by the anime. Although it was rushed in terms of the fights, I will give Toriyama major credit for not dropping the ball on the story points as the anime wouldn't have been able to do anything if those weren't there.
I'm justifying why Toriyama made them so short and watching the anime adaptation painfully obvious why.

Vegeta and whatever he was going through was a subplot in the Buu arc including the fight and so Toriyama chose to rightfully not much spend time on it, because of that. Toei dragged it out the point it became tedious. A Goku vs Vegeta fight should not be that.

Toei in no way saved the Buu arc. They made it soooo much worse.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:34 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegeta and whatever he was going through was a subplot in the Buu arc including the fight and so Toriyama chose to rightfully not much spend time on it.
It was something Vegeta wanted for years and what resulted in him turning to the good side. Just because it's a small point within the arc doesn't mean it in itself is small.

Gohan taking his father's place in the Cell arc was a small point in a bigger picture but itself was a very major point in the story that was built up for years just like Vegeta's rematch with Goku. Are you going to say that should've been rushed as well ? Come to think of it, I think it was. If I remember correctly his fight with Cell before Goku died was very short so that's another + for the anime.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:39 am

It's not obvious, at least not in the way you make it sound. Despite adding plot point after plot point, Toriyama seems like he's in an awful hurry to get to the end. Everything feels rushed. Yes, Vegeta's dilemma was a subplot, but an important one. I don't know why you think that it shouldn't get any focus. Vegeta is a main character and his hatred for Goku needed a big payoff. The fight itself is dramatic and brutal. I'll take those episodes any day over the painfully drawn out middle part of the arc where Buu is fighting Gotenks then Gohan.

If we go with Kai, the fight between Vegeta and Goku lasts about 3 episodes. I think that's a satisfying amount of time spent on this "subplot".

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but during a rewatch, I rewatch both Z AND Kai. If I were to watch Super, even given that it is an inbetequel, I wouldn't watch it during the time gap between Buu's death and the last 3 episodes. I would just watch Z all the way through and then start Super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 am

ABED wrote: Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but during a rewatch, I rewatch both Z AND Kai.
:shock: why ?

They're both the same show so if you've seen one and especially Z then there's 0 need to see the other one.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote: Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but during a rewatch, I rewatch both Z AND Kai.

They're both the same show so if you've seen one and especially Z then there's 0 need to see the other one.
I watch Z in JPN and the dub of Kai. It's not like I do this all the time. I don't do an annual rewatch or anything. The gaps between rewatches can be significant - the longest being 5 years.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 am

sintzu wrote:

They're not exactly the same show. The contrast in the pacing, acting and soundtrack conveys different moods for every scene.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:54 am

I also watched the Ocean dub (DB 1-13, M1, DBZ 1-53/67; M1-3) during my last rewatch. I liked doing it to see the differences.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Oops, I forgot something for my watch-through list: Between Battle of Gods and DBK 99, I would read the Viz release of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, since it hasn't been adapted into animation (yet?).

And kudos to Sani for making a Japanese equivalent. The inclusion of officially untranslated media like the PSAs and the OVA is noteworthy. However, the two "TV Special" clipshows appear to be missing.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:48 pm

ABED wrote:I also watched the Ocean dub (DB 1-13, M1, DBZ 1-53/67; M1-3) during my last rewatch. I liked doing it to see the differences.
You missed Z episodes 108-276/123-291. ;)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.