When was it announced that the original DB manga was ending?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

When was it announced that the original DB manga was ending?

Post by Shounen » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 am

When Shuiesha or Toriyama itself announced for the first time that original DB manga coming to an end? Does anybody know?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When announced end of the original DB manga?

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 am

Shounen wrote:When Shuiesha or Toriyama itself announced for the first time that original DB manga coming to an end? Does anybody know?
Literally the penultimate Chapter at the bottom of the last page, where Toriyama wrote this:
Toriyama wrote:Next time, in Dragon Ball chapter 519, something is going to happen!!!! Now! Just what’s going to happen, you ask?! Don’t get your hopes up too much, and wait for it!
Must have been quite a shock for those in Japan to read Chapter 519!

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:20 am

Yeah, but before there were no announcements that it would end soon? Very strange.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:34 am

Shounen wrote:Yeah, but before there were no announcements that it would end soon? Very strange.
Correct. I'm not privy to the full details, but the common assumption is that Dragon Ball was so popular that he couldn't end it without doing it extremely quickly. Probably explains why it feels like it ends a bit suddenly (which IMO is why there was an extra page drawn for the Kanzenban version), although the timeskip certainly helps it feel like an epilogue at the end.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:10 pm

And when you think about how advertised final arcs are now-a-days. He probably handed in the last chapter and then ran for the hills. Shueisha was most likely left to handle the fallout.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:05 pm

As noted, the penultimate chapter of Dragon Ball hinted that something would be happening.
The final chapter itself was where it was revealed it was ending.

According to the intended endings guide, this message was presented at the end of the chapter:
Akira Toriyama wrote:I truly thank you for faithfully reading Dragon Ball for so terribly long. I’m very grateful for how you all supported me up until the very end. The truth is that I decided on this a long time ago but a lot happened, so please forgive me for announcing this so suddenly.

For this new step in my life, I’ve asked a big favor of everyone concerned and am ending this manga. Of course, I humbly apologize to all you fans too. I’m very sorry. From now on, I think I will take a little break, and then leisurely draw one-shot works. You’ll definitely see me again. I think it (should) certainly be interesting, so look forward to it! Well, until that day, this is goodbye. Let’s meet again.
Shueisha may have known in advance that Toriyama was to retire, though the Z anime finished about 7 months later than the manga finished, so they may have only found out when that last chapter went out, and spent those 7 months frantically getting things ready for GT.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: When was it announced that the original DB manga was ending?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Yeah, we have said message and its translation on our Chapter 518 page, as well.

The joint interview in the fourth Shenlong Times touches a little bit on the internal knowledge ahead of time about it ending:
Shenlong Times wrote:Suzuki: Because of my job, I found out a little early that it was ending. But the final chapter was good. The title page has the same composition as the cover to the first tankōbon. The sepia-toned scene of Bulma and Goku meeting for the first time was also deeply moving. I bought around 8 copies of Jump from when the last chapter came out, and stored them in my house.

Masumoto: A few chapters before the final chapter, there was a part where Upa appeared, and I thought "Is it already over?" But from the start of the Boo arc, I thought "surely it will end with this". I want Toriyama-sensei to take a restful vacation, play with his children, and then begin a new serialization when he feels like it.

Tōnosu: I feel that Toriyama-sensei must really be tired after 10 years. Right now, my meager hope is that he will draw another manga with fantastic characters.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm

It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought the Buu arc had an "ending" kind of feel to it as Masumoto seems to think so as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Yeah, we have said message and its translation on our Chapter 518 page, as well.

The joint interview in the fourth Shenlong Times touches a little bit on the internal knowledge ahead of time about it ending:

[snip]
Thanks, man. Interesting stuff. :)
sintzu wrote:It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought the Buu arc had an "ending" kind of feel to it as Masumoto seems to think so as well.
I personally think that the Boo arc was decided to be an ending sometime around when Gohan and Super Boo were fighting. Either that, or when Goku was revived. This doesn't really have any solid basis on anything, that's just the impression I get. I think until then, it was just intended to be yet another Dragon Ball arc, likely to have a follow-up at some point in the future.
I think the Boo arc did have an ending feel, but that only really came about around the point I pointed out.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Yeah, we have said message and its translation on our Chapter 518 page, as well.

[snip]
Thanks, man. Interesting stuff. :)
sintzu wrote:It's good to know I'm not the only one who thought the Buu arc had an "ending" kind of feel to it as Masumoto seems to think so as well.
I personally think that the Boo arc was decided to be an ending sometime around when Gohan and Super Boo were fighting. Either that, or when Goku was revived. This doesn't really have any solid basis on anything, that's just the impression I get. I think until then, it was just intended to be yet another Dragon Ball arc, likely to have a follow-up at some point in the future.
I think the Boo arc did have an ending feel, but that only really came about around the point I pointed out.
In Toriyama's 2014 history book interview he said he decided on it being the end before it started as he didn't feel like the Cell arc could be an ending for the story so the entire arc was written with that in mind.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 pm

"The truth is that I decided on this a long time ago but a lot happened"

aka I kinda wanted to end it after I suggested the name Z but it was so popular I couldn't let the fans down. At least, that's my interpretation.