Who pays their Actors More? Ocean, Funimation or Blue Water

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Who pays their Actors More? Ocean, Funimation or Blue Water

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm

I know this depends more on other factors, like if the actor belongs to the Screen Actors Guild and so on. But I know this is the best place to ask this because many pro Voice Actors are here. I BESEECH YOU! PLEASE HELP ME OUT!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Who pays their Actors More? Ocean, Funimation or Blue Water

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm sure it's Ocean.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:54 pm

And about how much would that be? I'm really curious.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:48 am

Blue Water is Ocean's budget studio so they definitely don't pay the most.

I'm pretty certain it's Ocean. Funimation projects are rarely union while Ocean's main studio stuff is all union (ACTRA to be more specific, SAG is in the USA). It's just a higher standard of pay.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 am

Ocean, almost certainly; Ocean uses the best of the best Vancouver has to offer, they're basically A-listers.

Regarding the other two, the way I understand it, despite common belief, Blue Water is also a union studio, it's just that Blue Water is under a generally lower-paying union. Meanwhile, Funimation isn't union at all.

So, while I'd say Ocean almost certainly pay the most, who's at the bottom is anyone's guess; you could make valid arguments either way. Though I think determining who pays the lowest is going a bit far with this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Most likely to be Ocean. I remember Saffron Henderson had a brief career in the U.S (specifically Los Angeles) but since she didn't earn as much as she did in Canada, she moved back to there.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm

What about Aoni Production, and how much their actors get paid?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:13 pm

DB1984 wrote:What about Aoni Production, and how much their actors get paid?
This may answer your question :
https://animeproductionblog.wordpress.c ... ome-works/

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:17 am

From most expensive to least:

1) Ocean
2) Blue Water
3) Funimation

You can find Blue Water's collective bargaining agreement online. Funimation's numbers are private, but what we've heard isn't high. They're based in Texas largely because it's a right to work state. They can pay people whatever they want.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.