Will Yamamoto's stitch job of Battle Points Unlimited be a problem for future releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Will Yamamoto's stitch job of Battle Points Unlimited be a problem for future releases?

Post by Jord » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 am

Since the Yamamoto scandal surfaced, Dragon Ball Kai's music was replaced by the Kukichi score, both on TV as well as home release. Yamamoto however has also contributed to Z with the Trunks insert song Battle Points Unlimited, one of the most well known plagiarisations he did. Do you think this could pose a problem for further releases of Z? Could we see the song replaced perhaps?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Will Yamamoto's stitch job of Battle Points Unlimited be a problem for future releases?

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:24 am

What did it copy from?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will Yamamoto's stitch job of Battle Points Unlimited be a problem for future releases?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:46 am

I have never heard Battle Point Unlimited in my life. Which is probably because either Toei or Cartoon Network removed them because they unlike Fox Kids Latin America thought kids would say EW JAPANESE rather than the plagiarism, but I think it wouldnt be hard if Latin America did it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:52 am

Toei could replace it on future DVDs with the Japanese audio, but since the original masters for said Japanese audio don't exist anymore, it's been kept everytime you listen to that track on the DVDs. Same thing with when you watch episode 20 in Japanese and hear Shura-Iro no Senshi.

So both Yamamoto songs are staying in the Japanese audio for future DVDs.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:41 am

LordCrumb wrote:What did it copy from?
Here's a breakdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tAqXFlzHdc

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:12 am

And if you like a bit of reading: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/kenj ... ospective/

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:57 am

BPU couldn't really be removed from the original DBZ score, I don't think. And really, I don't think it's worth the trouble of trying; it's one licensed plagiarised song among a full score for 508 episodes of content. It's very different from 98 episodes of 100% plagiarism.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:38 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I have never heard Battle Point Unlimited in my life.
What the hell are you doing with your life? :lol:
Sit down somewhere comfy, put on some headphones, close your eyes and listen.
Battle Point Unlimited is probably my favorite song of all-time, and I'm not just talking about DBZ songs.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Asura wrote:
Battle Point Unlimited is probably my favorite song of all-time, and I'm not just talking about DBZ songs.
And it's pure plagiarism. Take a moment and think about that...

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 pm

MrTennek wrote:
Asura wrote:
Yes, he plagarized the songs, but Yamamoto is a musical genius and the way he threw together the multiple different songs that make up BPU and added his own touch to it solidifies it as a masterpiece IMO.

It's not just him taking one song and remaking it, BPU is the culmination of a bunch of different Propaganda songs mixed together.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:30 pm

Asura wrote:Yes, he plagarized the songs, but Yamamoto is a musical genius and the way he threw together the multiple different songs that make up BPU and added his own touch to it solidifies it as a masterpiece IMO.

It's not just him taking one song and remaking it, BPU is the culmination of a bunch of different Propaganda songs mixed together.
Calling him a musical genius might be stretch, but he's a brilliant arranger!
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 pm

I think Yamamoto's case isn't so unique. I am surprised nobody caught on that Evangelion's soundtrack ripped and plagiarized James Bond's From Russia with Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kACUvrjJSI

Yamamoto just got more publicity than others for some reason.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 am

Honestly, yeah, Battle Point Unlimited is a cool song.

But, I've gotta say, the songs he plagiarised it from are pretty amazing, and you should put those in your ears too. The Murder Of Love, p: Machinery, Jewel, and Dr. Mabuse, all by Propaganda. Really kick-ass tracks. And in my opinion, for the pieces BPU used from these tracks, I actually prefer the originals to be honest.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:07 am

The original Japanese version of DB/Z will always remain as it has always been with Yamamoto's music because you simply can't remove it nor redub it either due to obvious reasons. Now, foreign dubs? That's something entirely possible, a lot seem to be missing insert songs so it's either left with voices as is or a replacement song.
Kenji Yamamoto is an "it"? :P
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:The original Japanese version of DB/Z will always remain as it has always been with Yamamoto's music because you simply can't remove it nor redub it either due to obvious reasons. Now, foreign dubs? That's something entirely possible, a lot seem to be missing insert songs so it's either left with voices as is or a replacement song.
I haven't seen Kai bit if they kept those scenes 'intact' they could use the audio tracks from Kai.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 am

Jord wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:The original Japanese version of DB/Z will always remain as it has always been with Yamamoto's music because you simply can't remove it nor redub it either due to obvious reasons. Now, foreign dubs? That's something entirely possible, a lot seem to be missing insert songs so it's either left with voices as is or a replacement song.
I haven't seen Kai bit if they kept those scenes 'intact' they could use the audio tracks from Kai.
Oh, that's a good point. The Kikuchi-Kai while it's a mess, it uses most of the original cast and retains the Z music although the audio quality would be vastly different like day and night.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:59 am

Oh, Battle Point Unlimited :D . One of my favourite tracks from the whole DB franchise.

Too bad it was copied :(

But it doesn't mean I stopped to love this track. I always loved it from the very first moment I listened to it and spent like a couple of years searching its name. The day I accidentally found it on Youtube while searching for GT's OST, I was so excited that I quickly converted it to a MP3 and downloaded it.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 pm

MrTennek wrote:
Asura wrote:
What difference does that make?
Robo4900 wrote:Honestly, yeah, Battle Point Unlimited is a cool song.

But, I've gotta say, the songs he plagiarised it from are pretty amazing, and you should put those in your ears too. The Murder Of Love, p: Machinery, Jewel, and Dr. Mabuse, all by Propaganda. Really kick-ass tracks. And in my opinion, for the pieces BPU used from these tracks, I actually prefer the originals to be honest.
I think I recall seeing a video on YouTube a while back were someone had replaced BPU with Murder of Love during the Trunks/Freeza scenes and it was pretty badass. Don't know if it still exists.