Why do westerners like Bulma x Vegeta so much?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Why do westerners like Bulma x Vegeta so much?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 am

Terez wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I think the ship stuff partly depends on the staff involved.
There seem to be a few Kakavege shippers on staff. But then, that has always been the case at Toei.

I don't care about any of the canon couples really but Vegebul is probably the most interesting of them to me. Bulma has thick skin and she can blow off Vegeta's expressions of his insecurities so it's hard to take statements like him "treating her like shit" seriously. He's that way to everyone and it's 99% hot air. Of course, he almost killed her when he lost his shit in the Boo arc but that has more to do with his Goku obsession than any intentional disregard for Bulma on his part, I think. Definitely tunnel vision. Goku was not immune either.

[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
Tbh if I was Goku, I'd shoot that puss Supreme Cry on the spot. He kept fucking things up and was making a bad situation worse.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:58 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm ok calling it KakaVege too (if I go waaay back KakaVege used to be called G/V where VegeKaka was called V/K).
Yeah I go back that far too.
Chuquita wrote:I was originally VegeKaka, but then switched to KakaVege...
Same as far as general preference goes, but I'm not too rigid (and I never switched back).
Chuquita wrote:I normally don't talk ship stuff here though.
Enough for me to notice, but hey, I look for these things. I'm only here because one of your fine moderators linked the thread for me...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Terez wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm ok calling it KakaVege too (if I go waaay back KakaVege used to be called G/V where VegeKaka was called V/K).
Yeah I go back that far too.
Understood. That's cool.
Terez wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I was originally VegeKaka, but then switched to KakaVege...
Same as far as general preference goes, but I'm not too rigid (and I never switched back).
I'm not that rigid about it either; I like them both. I favorite/reblog them both. I may like VegeKaka more, but I still like KakaVege a lot too.
Terez wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I normally don't talk ship stuff here though.
Enough for me to notice, but hey, I look for these things. I'm only here because one of your fine moderators linked the thread for me...
I usually only talk about it when big events happen in Super (and the movies) related to the ship; it's just been a while since anything's happened outside of Vegeta kickstarting UI. With only three episodes left, that was probably it for the ship.
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Terez wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I think the ship stuff partly depends on the staff involved.
There seem to be a few Kakavege shippers on staff. But then, that has always been the case at Toei.

Really? That's interesting if it's true, but I have my doubts it has ever been intended as anything other than 'baiting'.(or maybe fanservice is more appropriate of a term?)

I know there was an animator who posted some artwork of Haikyuu characters that was kinda shippy and also a little nsfw, but that didn't end well for them iIrc.

In any case, as someone that's not big into shipping, I'm glad DB aims to mostly steer clear of romance related themes. Goku being completely unconcerned with this romantic love is actually one of the things I've always liked about his character (though I think he really does love Chichi in his own way)
Bulma and Vegeta are alright, but I was really upset they broke up Bulma and Yamcha

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 pm

It's an interesting relationship. Vegeta starts off as a horrible evil being that warms up as time goes on. He settles down and starts a family and protects the planet he going blast away. How do people not like it? I think Bulma and to some degree Chi-chi understand that they(Goku and Vegeta) aren't exactly like humans they're wired differently. I'm pretty sure Bulma knows that vegeta cares and is trying be more human for her and trunks but he just isn't.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 am

Bruma rabu wrote:It's an interesting relationship. Vegeta starts off as a horrible evil being that warms up as time goes on. He settles down and starts a family and protects the planet he going blast away. How do people not like it?
People like that arc, but I don't know how much of that can be attributed to Vegeta's relationship with Bulma.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:55 am

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:It's an interesting relationship. Vegeta starts off as a horrible evil being that warms up as time goes on. He settles down and starts a family and protects the planet he going blast away. How do people not like it?
People like that arc, but I don't know how much of that can be attributed to Vegeta's relationship with Bulma.
So Bulma wasn't a major reason he changed?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:
We don't spend much time seeing them interact. I would say he changes in part because of his family, but they don't spend near enough time for that to land emotionally. His change seems much more to do with Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 pm

ABED wrote:
floofychan333 wrote: Shipping is rampant in the weebs, Tumblr trash, and young nerds of my generation.
Shipping existed pre-internet. People like watching romance. The issue is that when it's done well, there's almost nothing better, but when it's done badly, there's almost nothing worse.
I still have shell shock from the first season of Korra precisely because of this :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I still have shell shock from the first season of Korra precisely because of this :P
The series as a whole had awful romance, just awful.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:06 pm

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:People like that arc, but I don't know how much of that can be attributed to Vegeta's relationship with Bulma.
We don't spend much time seeing them interact. I would say he changes in part because of his family, but they don't spend near enough time for that to land emotionally. His change seems much more to do with Goku.
Him going from an irredeemable psychopath to a grumpy dude was mostly Bulmas doing. To me Gokus influence on him seems to be more toxic than anything else. At lest until the end of the buu arch.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Him going from an irredeemable psychopath to a grumpy dude was mostly Bulmas doing. To me Gokus influence on him seems to be more toxic than anything else. At lest until the end of the buu arch.
So her influence is almost all offscreen? There's some influence, but just some.

I don't think Goku's influence is toxic. It gives him a goal and Goku's purity of spirit is the thing that changes him. He already started to changed by staying on Earth because he wanted to fight Goku. He doesn't cause any trouble between the time of the Freeza fight and the cyborgs arrive. Goku's death also has a profound effect, so much that he gives up on fighting. He sees Goku's pure desire to fight for its own sake and not to hurt others as well as protect his loved ones. It takes him time, but he finally realizes why those things make Goku the warrior he is.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 pm

ABED wrote:
So her influence is almost all offscreen? There's some influence, but just some.

I don't think Goku's influence is toxic. It gives him a goal and Goku's purity of spirit is the thing that changes him. He already started to changed by staying on Earth because he wanted to fight Goku. He doesn't cause any trouble between the time of the Freeza fight and the cyborgs arrive. Goku's death also has a profound effect, so much that he gives up on fighting. He sees Goku's pure desire to fight for its own sake and not to hurt others as well as protect his loved ones. It takes him time, but he finally realizes why those things make Goku the warrior he is.
I guess toxic was to strong, I was just mainly think about his decision to go Majin. Another reason people like or are invested in this pairing is probably because it didn't have much screen time. People want to know what kind of relationship they have.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:

I guess toxic was to strong, I was just mainly think about his decision to go Majin. Another reason people like or are invested in this pairing is probably because it didn't have much screen time. People want to know what kind of relationship they have.
They invested in them BECAUSE they didn't have much screen time?

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:03 pm

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:So her influence is almost all offscreen? There's some influence, but just some.

They invested in them BECAUSE they didn't have much screen time?
As in they are starved for that content. People see little snippets and want more.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:09 am

I want to know as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm emotionally invested in them as a couple. I just want answers.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Terez wrote:
Chuquita wrote:VegeKaka
Oh so it's like that huh.
I'm probably misinterpreting, but if like that is like that, then yeah, preference wise.

I'm ok calling it KakaVege too (if I go waaay back KakaVege used to be called G/V where VegeKaka was called V/K). The ship's shrunken down to such a small size that who's name chunk goes first doesn't matter, but a long time ago it used to be so large there were cliques.
On the Japanese side of shipping, it definitely makes a difference which name goes first (though I've seen rare cases where even JPN fans use the order interchangeably). But overall the Japanese fandom seems more harmonious anyway, with very little in the way of shipping wars (or maybe that's because I don't really check forums, only fan-art sites and twitter. And I do recall a couple scenes in the fujoshi comedy Kiss Him, Not Me where girls fought over who should be on top in their favorite pairs, so must be happening somewhere :lol: )

As for the original question posed by this thread, I've been a VegeBul shipper for 20 years, so I feel like it's hard to answer the why of it, that's just been my life :lol: For me, a ship needs to involved two characters I really like for me to get into it, and since Vegeta and Bulma are both favorites of mine, it's only natural that I was into it when I heard that they got together. At first, it was quite a shock: how/why the hell did it happen? Of course the true cause is the out-of-universe reason that Toriyama needed an excuse for Trunks to appear. But fans being as they are, giving so little detail made it a mystery, one that decades of fanworks have sought to explain. I don't see it as being a Western only phenomenon, but worldwide it's a hugely popular ship. I suppose there's just a fascination with two highly selfish characters coming together and somehow making it work (I don't think it's an unhealthy relationship like the OP implies; they're just both stubborn characters who are bound to clash sometimes). And I've appreciated that Super gave us cute/romantic moments with them :3 Overall, it's definitely been the kindest series overall when it comes to shipping (and that goes for both official couples and providing massive shipbait...BlaZama omg)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 am

OP, when you mean Westerners I take it you refer to people living in Western countries and not just Western natives (Europeans aka Whites), I think. I wasn't the one who turned this into a race thing but the fact he brought up 'Westerners' made me think. :P
Merriam-Webster wrote:Definition of Westerner

1 : a native or inhabitant of the West; especially : a native or resident of the western part of the U.S.
2 : one advocating the adoption of western European culture especially in 19th century Russia
As a Westerner, no, I don't care about the Bulma and Vegeta thing/drama.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:40 am

No matter if people like them as a couple or not, I do think they have the most interesting dynamic so far.

Lets be honest, NO ONE ever saw these two coming.
Vegeta used to be a terrible person, and I never would have ever guessed him becoming a family man one day.

They started off bad, but were at the same time attracted to each other.
That attraction resulted in Trunks being born, and he was actually the catalyst for Vegeta turning into a better person.

Their pairing is not considered a healthy one of course, but at least they aren't boring.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 am

SsjCookie wrote:Their pairing is not considered a healthy one of course, but at least they aren't boring.
During the Cell arch defiantly but during the Saiyaman arc it looked they were doing pretty good.