What's going to happen after the 20th movie release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

What's going to happen after the 20th movie release?

Post by Xeztin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:47 pm

I've been gone for a while probably since the episode where UI debuted. Has there been any info about new series or how long the manga will last? I've heard the Super Hero's manga ends with chapter 10. Perhaps something after the movie?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's going to happen after the 20th movie release?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 pm

It was announced that Super will not be airing any new episodes after April 1st, or roughly episode 131 (there was no specific mention of the show being cancelled, however). I imagine they're gonna concentrate on the upcoming movie, and use the break as a chance to retool the show and its approach to the story. That's the hope anyway, the easier decision would be to stay the original course since it was making enough money to begin with.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Wait, is the DB Super manga continuing past the anime's ending??

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Wait, is the DB Super manga continuing past the anime's ending??
Nothing was confirmed one way or another

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:16 am

KBABZ wrote:It was announced that Super will not be airing any new episodes after April 1st, or roughly episode 131 (there was no specific mention of the show being cancelled, however). I imagine they're gonna concentrate on the upcoming movie, and use the break as a chance to retool the show and its approach to the story. That's the hope anyway, the easier decision would be to stay the original course since it was making enough money to begin with.
I’d assume the next part of the series will build to a lead up to the end of Z perhaps?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:57 am

If Super ends with EOZ then I can see the movie taking place after with a new show being announced depending on its success.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:48 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:I’d assume the next part of the series will build to a lead up to the end of Z perhaps?
You'd think that, but I'm not so sure. See, I think Super was placed before EoZ because A) It wanted to avoid connotations with the failed GT project, and B) it allows the core cast to be together in a status quo the audience would be familiar with, and before the Toriyama's intended end of the story.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:48 am

Hopefully after we can get a Kai version of OG Dragon Ball during the big break. That or an OVA or 2 depending on how long the break is.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:53 am

Logania wrote:Hopefully after we can get a Kai version of OG Dragon Ball during the big break. That or an OVA or 2 depending on how long the break is.
We don't really need a Kai version of OG Dragon Ball. The filler wasn't as horrible as it was in Z with Fake Namek and what not, in fact, I'd say that the filler was sometimes pretty interesting when viewed in an episodic fashion, like the Kinkaku Ginkaku and Demon Realm stuff before the 22nd Budokai.

Plus, Kai wasn't that good either, replacing the original Kikuchi score was a bad move. They'd better not touch the epic insert songs from OG DB like Mezase Tenkaichi, Wolf Hurricane, etc.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 am

DBZ Macky wrote:
Logania wrote:Hopefully after we can get a Kai version of OG Dragon Ball during the big break. That or an OVA or 2 depending on how long the break is.
We don't really need a Kai version of OG Dragon Ball. The filler wasn't as horrible as it was in Z with Fake Namek and what not, in fact, I'd say that the filler was sometimes pretty interesting when viewed in an episodic fashion, like the Kinkaku Ginkaku and Demon Realm stuff before the 22nd Budokai.

Plus, Kai wasn't that good either, replacing the original Kikuchi score was a bad move. They'd better not touch the epic insert songs from OG DB like Mezase Tenkaichi, Wolf Hurricane, etc.
Sometimes filler can improve the anime, which is why Kai kept a bit of it that was used with important character moments like Gohan turning SSJ and what not, but a HD remastered version that gets cleaned up in a few places would be good for it, also to help with the pacing a bit. Often times in the show the fights would have too much long silence, dramatic stares between opponents for like 20 seconds and a lot of reused animation makes it look sloppy at times.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:22 am

Logania wrote:
DBZ Macky wrote:

Sometimes filler can improve the anime, which is why Kai kept a bit of it that was used with important character moments like Gohan turning SSJ and what not, but a HD remastered version that gets cleaned up in a few places would be good for it, also to help with the pacing a bit. Often times in the show the fights would have too much long silence, dramatic stares between opponents for like 20 seconds and a lot of reused animation makes it look sloppy at times.
I'd rather have the entire DB series properly remastered in HD.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 am

Logania wrote:Hopefully after we can get a Kai version of OG Dragon Ball during the big break.
I'd love for that to happen but it won't as we would've been told about it by now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:57 pm

sangofe wrote:I'd rather have the entire DB series properly remastered in HD.
Why not both? Remaster the entire show in HD, then release a Kai version that strips it down to the 80 episode count in Recut. The only downside for me is the inevitable recasting of Kid Goku.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm

sintzu wrote:If Super ends with EOZ then I can see the movie taking place after with a new show being announced depending on its success.
There's a good chance that if the new movie is received well, then we may get a new Dragon Ball show. I don't know if it happens but we will have to wait and see.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 pm

I like the idea of that, but Dragon Ball without Hiromi Tsuru for Bulma makes me sad. I think if they just cut out some filler and remastered it that would work. I don’t think retooling it like it’s a modern show would make sense. It’s very much an 80’s product and I can’t imagine it without Kikuchi’s music.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am

Hopefully not a 'Dragon Ball Kai: The Younger Years' because some of its original cast have passed away and so the new voices wouldn't be nostalgic or that memorable, and that the music would unfortunately be composed by Sumitomo.

I've pretty much bought all that I wanted from the original Dragon Ball series (DB/Z/GT/Kai but not TFC) that I wanted so I'd probably not bother if TOEI/FUNi/etc released.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.