Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions (update 23rd of september)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:55 am

Robo4900 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
t0ffe3m4n wrote:When my nephew gets old enough (he's not long turned 2 years old) I'm gonna ask his old man would I be allowed by show him some Dragon Ball, though that's still a few years off!
Yeah, I reckon 4,5 is a little bit young. 7 or so would probably be ideal.
Eh. Honestly, I think as soon as they're old enough to understand the difference between TV and reality, they're old enough to watch.

Still, to each their own.

As for the post itself, quick side-note: It's "Jackie Chun", actually.
A fun read, though. :)
I knew about the spelling after posting but got busy and forgot to fix it. It would be interesting to see how she reacts when she is older. She would surely like other things. She really seems to like Goku as a character more and more though. She likes that innocent, playful Goku that he is in the start.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:29 am

I notice that a lot of her reactions have to do with the "naughty" stuff in the series, which is of course to be expected at that age, lol. Anything provocative is funny.

It will be interesting to hear what her reactions will be when she gets to the actually dramatic and exciting stuff. I wonder how much a child of her gender is into fighting? I know for sure than a boy would love the parts when strong characters beat the snot out of each other.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:49 am

Dont be like that. Girls like action too!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:04 am

Puaru wrote:I notice that a lot of her reactions have to do with the "naughty" stuff in the series, which is of course to be expected at that age, lol. Anything provocative is funny.

It will be interesting to hear what her reactions will be when she gets to the actually dramatic and exciting stuff. I wonder how much a child of her gender is into fighting? I know for sure than a boy would love the parts when strong characters beat the snot out of each other.
Well... She got really scared during parts of the pilaf arc. And during the tournament, she got really sad when she thought Goku died and called Chun for stupid.
Last edited by sangofe on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:20 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Dont be like that. Girls like action too!
Sure, but just going by both my own childhood experiences and my experience with kids now as an adult, girls in general just dont place action, especially fighting, on the same level of importance as boys. Just look at the way they play with toys. Give two toys to a boy and, providing that the toys look even remotely like something that could put up a fight, he is probabaly going to have them fight each other. Most girls on the other hand will probably imagine some other scenario, like with the toys interacting as friends or maybe going on some adventure, but it's not very likely that she is going to make them duke it out.

I'm not being stereotypical here, I'm just telling it how it GENERALLY is, even though there are of course countless exceptions.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:34 am

sangofe wrote:My daugther who's almost 4,5 now
sangofe wrote:Yeah, I reckon 4,5 is a little bit young. 7 or so would probably be ideal.
sangofe wrote:She's 4,5
The main thing I'm taking away from this thread is that you're not sure how old your daughter is. :think:

These reactions are adorable. She seems to be on the exact right wavelength to enjoy & engage with DB: wee-wees are funny and fighting is exciting.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:45 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
sangofe wrote:My daugther who's almost 4,5 now
sangofe wrote:Yeah, I reckon 4,5 is a little bit young. 7 or so would probably be ideal.
sangofe wrote:She's 4,5
The main thing I'm taking away from this thread is that you're not sure how old your daughter is. :think:

These reactions are adorable. She seems to be on the exact right wavelength to enjoy & engage with DB: wee-wees are funny and fighting is exciting.
Haha, she'll be 4,5 on the 17th of April. She's very close to 4,5. And we haven't watched all these episodes in one day either! She's gradually becoming closer to 4,5! It's really a shame we can't edit these replies...

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:09 pm

Really interesting! :D

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:36 pm

We're now entering the RRA saga. At episode 30 now.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:11 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:The main thing I'm taking away from this thread is that you're not sure how old your daughter is. :think:
In most of Europe, commas and full-stops have reversed meanings when you're dealing in numbers, so ten thousand is 10.000, and four and a half is 4,5.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 am

After a longer break, we're resuming watching the end of the RRA saga.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:08 am

Summer is here so not watching so much, but we're into the cave drama stuff with General Blue now. And I gotta admit... I have not been good at noting her reactions lately but will be better at it! Anyone else watching Db with kids?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 am

We are at episode 65 now.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Starting episode 71. We're through the RRA saga!

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Cant show it a 6 year old at least dbz because to much swearing in german like shit,asshole and so on. Lets wait a few years but awesome to read this thread. :wave:

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:30 pm

nosferatu wrote:Cant show it a 6 year old at least dbz because to much swearing in german like shit,asshole and so on. Lets wait a few years but awesome to read this thread. :wave:
I saw the Z episodes when I was 6. :D
Last edited by Dragon Sponge on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:34 pm

When I was 6, I knew not to say certain bad words in public and around other people. I remember I got in trouble when I was 4 for saying damn and was told not to say it never again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Dragon Sponge wrote:
nosferatu wrote:Cant show it a 6 year old at least dbz because to much swearing in german like shit,asshole and so on. Lets wait a few years but awesome to read this thread. :wave:
I saw the Z episodes when was 6. :D
Well then Dragonball is older then you in fact even dbz. :)

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:When I was 6, I knew not to say certain bad words in public and around other people. I remember I got in trouble when I was 4 for saying damn and was told not to say it never again.
Well damn is not even bad but I'm not from the us so different culture.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:17 pm

nosferatu wrote:
Dragon Sponge wrote:
I saw the Z episodes when was 6. :D
Well then Dragonball is older then you in fact even dbz. :)
The japanese version is but not the german one since I was born in 1995.