Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions (update 23rd of september)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:01 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Yes, but Funi did release a tenth volume with the Latino Spanish dub, albeit with Orange Bricks video footage (along with separate Latino Spanish only volumes with OB footage for Vol 1-9)
Can you post a link and image of the Mexican dub release by FUNimation? I can't find it anywhere, well, at least not for sale.
sangofe wrote:Really? How do you explain that the largest fanbase in france are in their thirties then? It is not uncommon to have kids at that age.
I wasn't actually specifically talking in reference to the French Dragon Ball fanbase but the English fanbase in itself. It's normal now for people to not have kids in their 30s but it's not normal for them to behave so irrationally.
In europe it's rather common to have kids in their 30's. Either way, I've changed the topic title so more people can tell their stories :)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Bajosexto wrote:Which story are you talking about?
This:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:some of the dialogue in the original dub was too damaged and they had to be redubbed.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 pm

sangofe wrote:In europe it's rather common to have kids in their 30's. Either way, I've changed the topic title so more people can tell their stories :)
I get that but I wasn't even talking about being a continent thing but a fanbase thing. The English Dragon Ball fanbase has showed me how unbelievably shocking a community can be and get.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
This:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:some of the dialogue in the original dub was too damaged and they had to be redubbed.
Look, I know that you are right, yes I admit it. I really see no point in redubbing footage that does exist unharmed, yes they redubbed it needlessly. My point wasnt about that. It was that the redubbed lines clashed horribly with the old dub. Some of the actors could have evolved through the years and sound entirely different. And some could be retired or dead even!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Look, I know that you are right, yes I admit it. I really see no point in redubbing footage that does exist unharmed, yes they redubbed it needlessly. My point wasnt about that. It was that the redubbed lines clashed horribly with the old dub. Some of the actors could have evolved through the years and sound entirely different. And some could be retired or dead even!
And some actors/actresses change their voices or can't do as they did back then so it definitely would have clashed with the two styles, the best way was to use the original Japanese audio as many of the distributors have done and continue to. I've never found it strange for an international 'uncut' dub to feature the Japanese audio in parts that the dub is missing.

Why on earth would a distributor bother with the process of a redub when they already have most of the content there and the only pieces missing are a few seconds here and there? Just doesn't make sense to me. It's a business company, not a fansub.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
This:
As far as I know only a couple of lines were redubbed in the Garlic Jr. Arc. Which lasted only a couple of seconds. The "official" reason as to why those 15-20 second scenes were redubbed was that the dialogue was somehow "erased". Which might or might not be true. But regardless of why they were rerecorded, it was only like one or two lines of dialogue that got redubbed.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:04 am

Updated the post with my daugthers reactions of episodes 10 and 11!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:17 am

If she thinks Pilaf is evil I'm kind of afraid what she might think of Piccolo Daimao and beyond. Because those are really scary and you arent censoring anything for her. But then again, me and my brothers and sisters didnt need anything censored for us, and we are fine. Your little one is awesome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 am

Watching episode 12 now and updating the thread.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:If she thinks Pilaf is evil I'm kind of afraid what she might think of Piccolo Daimao and beyond. Because those are really scary and you arent censoring anything for her. But then again, me and my brothers and sisters didnt need anything censored for us, and we are fine. Your little one is awesome.

The problem is that the censorship takes away most of the parts she finds funny.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:36 am

I know! I saw the "NO BALLS!" the same way she did! Clumsily reinserted into the Latin American dub. LOL. I laughed a lot! Goku suddenly voiced by another person (Nozawa) just for that scene only for the next scene have him screaming "BULMA I'm HUNGRY, I WANT TO HAVE BREAKFASSTTTTTTTTT!!!" in Latin American Spanish was so freaking priceless.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:05 am

Finished watching the first arc.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:46 am

Updated with EP 15. Now watching the milk delivery.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:24 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:If she thinks Pilaf is evil I'm kind of afraid what she might think of Piccolo Daimao and beyond. Because those are really scary and you arent censoring anything for her. But then again, me and my brothers and sisters didnt need anything censored for us, and we are fine. Your little one is awesome.
Fun fact: when I first watched Dragon Ball on Cartoon Network here in NZ, they stopped at the King Piccolo arc. Goku finding Krillin dead was the furthest into OG Dragon Ball I got for over a decade.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am

Watching episode 18 now.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:24 am

When my nephew gets old enough (he's not long turned 2 years old) I'm gonna ask his old man would I be allowed by show him some Dragon Ball, though that's still a few years off!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:42 am

t0ffe3m4n wrote:When my nephew gets old enough (he's not long turned 2 years old) I'm gonna ask his old man would I be allowed by show him some Dragon Ball, though that's still a few years off!
Yeah, I reckon 4,5 is a little bit young. 7 or so would probably be ideal.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:08 pm

Updated the topic a bit. We're into the tournament. Next is Goku vs Giran.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:12 am

We\re at episode 25 now.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:01 pm

sangofe wrote:
t0ffe3m4n wrote:When my nephew gets old enough (he's not long turned 2 years old) I'm gonna ask his old man would I be allowed by show him some Dragon Ball, though that's still a few years off!
Yeah, I reckon 4,5 is a little bit young. 7 or so would probably be ideal.
Eh. Honestly, I think as soon as they're old enough to understand the difference between TV and reality, they're old enough to watch.

Still, to each their own.

As for the post itself, quick side-note: It's "Jackie Chun", actually.
A fun read, though. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.