The selfishness of the Dragonball fandom

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

The selfishness of the Dragonball fandom

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm

I consider myself to be a reasonably unselfish person when it comes to wanting to see my favourite character shine in Dragonball/z/Super.
And what I mean by that, is that I don't mind it if other characters of the show get to have some love now and again.

Future Trunks for instance is my favourite character.
I was happy to see him in Super but I also understood that he couldn't stay. He would have become a side character like Gohan if that would have been the case.
So then, I was lucky I got my fanservice.
But many others didn't.
Dragonball Super is about to end, and despite me having the satisfaction of finally seeing F Trunks again, Dragonball Super Fell miserably short on me.
Why didn't Gohan got his worthy moment?
Why not Piccolo, Tien and Krillin?
And before people say "they had their moment in the tournament" I will point out that they were hardly moments worth remembering.
I for one can't even remember how their fights went.

But what bothers me sometimes is the utter selfishness of the more specific fandoms cough..Goku fans..cough.
Why do they have so much problems with seeing other characters becoming relevant again?
Are they afraid they''ll take anything away from Goku?
Isn't he already the greatest fighter that ever lived?
if anything, it would even be a good thing for the character of Goku to step aside sometimes, it would even be a good thing if Vegeta would beat Goku in power sometimes.
And I'd love to see Gohan, Piccolo, Goten and kid Trunks finally getting into the focus again, not just as side characters.

This was a bit of a rant I know, I just want to make people see that if one character completely hogs the franchise (even if it is the main character) in time it'll work against him.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Goku.
I used to like Goku as a character, I loved seeing him in DB/Z and his fight with Piccolo Jr and Frieza is still unprecedented these days.
In Super he became a one man show, and it's not even a likeable one man show.
All I'm saying is, bring back the great characters of old, with some proper story-lines and animation.
Give Gohan his own arc, hell give Piccolo, Vegeta, Goten and all the other great characters their own arc.
Goku will still be a great character nonetheless, even if he's not always in the centre of the attention.
Last edited by SsjCookie on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: The selfishness of the Dragonball fandom

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm

I mean, wanting the creator of the show to change his story into what you want it to be strikes me as more selfish than being happy with what the writer is already doing, but what do I know?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I mean, wanting the creator of the show to change his story into what you want it to be strikes me as more selfish than being happy with what the writer is already doing, but what do I know?
I am happy with some of the things the creator of the show did with Super.
But I'm also unhappy with a lot of it.
And yeah I guess we're all selfish when it comes to what we want to see in the show.
I wanted the characters to be more evenly distributed in Super, but alas.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 pm

At least they admit it...lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:At least they admit it...lol.
Yep, I'm selfish for wanting others to be happy.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:08 pm

I can understand wanting to see your favs get some love, but what you consider a noteworthy moment differs from person to person.

The thing that does bug me is when some make it sound like Goku is a primadona or like it's uncommon for DB or other stories to keep the overwhelming bulk of the focus on a single character. Goku doesn't need to step down. It's his story.
Last edited by ABED on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm

SsjCookie wrote:
I didnt mean it unkindly! You are wholly within your right to be selfish and want more. I'm more selfish than anyone here, so dont think I'm judging you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm

I mean we just went through a long ass tournament where multiple characters who never really got much shine got to participate in battle again. Roshi, 18, and 17 are the big ones. Roshi finally saw some legitimate action after not being engaged since the Piccolo Daimao arc, 18 got to beat Ribrianne and participate in multiple other fights, and 17 got a grand return to the franchise. There’s a difference between Goku “hogging” screen time and not getting what you wanted. Contrary to popular belief, every character in the tournament got some sort of focus (except Tenshinhan, we don’t talk about him), whether you liked it or not. And you’re completely free to not like how they were treated, just like how I usually mention my dissatisfaction of how Vegeta was handled, despite him getting a lot of screen time this tournament.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 pm

ABED wrote:I can understand wanting to see your favs get some love, but what you consider a noteworthy moment differs from person to person.
Many of my friends feel the same way I do about Super, but I don't speak for others of course.
ABED wrote:The thing that does bug me is when some make it sound like Goku is a primadona or like it's uncommon for DB or other stories to keep the overwhelming bulk of the focus on a single character. Goku doesn't need to step down. It's his story.
I never said he had to step down, just to step aside a bit like he did in DBZ.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:22 pm

My post was ignored...I hope you arent mad at me. I really didnt mean any harm.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:25 pm

SsjCookie wrote:
ABED wrote:I can understand wanting to see your favs get some love, but what you consider a noteworthy moment differs from person to person.
Many of my friends feel the same way I do about Super, but I don't speak for others of course.
ABED wrote:The thing that does bug me is when some make it sound like Goku is a primadona or like it's uncommon for DB or other stories to keep the overwhelming bulk of the focus on a single character. Goku doesn't need to step down. It's his story.
Do you mean in the Cell arc? If so, I would argue that Goku stepping aside wasn't for the better of the story. There's no physical need for Goku to step aside and pass the torch like real life athletes have to do.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
I didnt mean it unkindly! You are wholly within your right to be selfish and want more. I'm more selfish than anyone here, so dont think I'm judging you.
I'm not offended, I'm not afraid to admit that I'm also selfish in a way. :wink:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks you are a sweetie lol.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:35 pm

ABED wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
Do you mean in the Cell arc? If so, I would argue that Goku stepping aside wasn't for the better of the story. There's no physical need for Goku to step aside and pass the torch like real life athletes have to do.
No, more in the trend of Goku not constantly standing in the centre of attention from the start.
In the DBZ Frieza saga for example, he only got the full attention in the ending of the arc.
Other characters had way more screentime back then.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:47 pm

No, more in the trend of Goku not constantly standing in the centre of attention from the start.
In the DBZ Frieza saga for example, he only got the full attention in the ending of the arc.
Other characters had way more screentime back then.
Often their screen time could be argued was little more than waiting around for Goku to arrive. I like Z, but it's not the be all end all of DB. The majority of DB was carried on Goku's shoulders including its best arcs which in no way diminished the contributions of the supporting characters. Taking the Freeza arc into consideration, the reason Kuririn and Gohan were able to contribute so much despite the villains being overwhelmingly stronger than them is because their goal didn't require them to be stronger to achieve.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 pm

I wonder if Toriyama could genuinely figure out a way to make, say, Yamcha relevant...without people then whining, "HE'S TOO WEAK! ITS NOT REALISTIC FOR HIM TO DO ANYTHING"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I wonder if Toriyama could genuinely figure out a way to make, say, Yamcha relevant...without people then whining, "HE'S TOO WEAK! ITS NOT REALISTIC FOR HIM TO DO ANYTHING"
That is a big issue. The gap between normal humans and the top tier grew at a geometric rate. To give them something of substance to do will require a lot of creativity.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I wonder if Toriyama could genuinely figure out a way to make, say, Yamcha relevant...without people then whining, "HE'S TOO WEAK! ITS NOT REALISTIC FOR HIM TO DO ANYTHING"
But strangely, people are probably okay with Roshi being able to contend in the ToP.... and fight off Freeza soldiers.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:37 pm

When I saw the title I thought it was a rant about fan entitlement and I was ready to pounce. As I've mentioned before, I loath situations where fans practically demand to take the reigns and chose which direction the story should go. Having said that-

I don't think there is anything wrong with voicing your displeasure in general. Creators and their team do look at the reception and t matters to them too. What I take issue with is when fans directly attack writers and staff members, and act childishly. But to express a desire to see more of character X, Y , Z - nothing wrong with that, as long as you do it in moderation.
Are they afraid they''ll take anything away from Goku?
Wasn't there an interview where they literally said that while the ratings didn't reflect it, fans weren't as interested when Goku wasn't on screen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 pm

MajinMan wrote:I mean we just went through a long ass tournament where multiple characters who never really got much shine got to participate in battle again. Roshi, 18, and 17 are the big ones. Roshi finally saw some legitimate action after not being engaged since the Piccolo Daimao arc, 18 got to beat Ribrianne and participate in multiple other fights, and 17 got a grand return to the franchise. There’s a difference between Goku “hogging” screen time and not getting what you wanted. Contrary to popular belief, every character in the tournament got some sort of focus (except Tenshinhan, we don’t talk about him), whether you liked it or not. And you’re completely free to not like how they were treated, just like how I usually mention my dissatisfaction of how Vegeta was handled, despite him getting a lot of screen time this tournament.
Maybe the characters were spread a bit too thin in this huge ass tournament for them to have satisfactory screentime.
Perhaps that's the reason some of the side characters were not given enough love because of that.
Even so, I hope in the future Dragonball sticks more to the quality of the characters instead of the quantity.