Freeza, what's with the monkey crawl?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Freeza, what's with the monkey crawl?

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:13 am

Why are you doing this Freeza? What on earth was Toriyama's intent when he drew it? It's so random and OOC for Freeza. Isn't he supposed to be elegant and educated? Refined? Basically everything that is polar opposite with that?

It comes outta nowhere and it's actually a really good bit of animation, but then you're like, wait Freeza looked kinda weird... and now it's all you're thinking about. Utterly immersion breaking.

Somebody explain this to me.

precita
Banned

Re: Freeza, what's with the monkey crawl?

Post by precita » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:41 am

Since Freeza insults Goku by calling him a monkey, maybe this was his way of showing him what a primate he is.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 am

I actually don't remember that kind of movement being implied in the manga. Granted, it's actually been a couple years since I read that fight all the way through, but I remember being surprised by that bit of animation last time I watched the anime.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:38 am

Cipher wrote:I actually don't remember that kind of movement being implied in the manga. Granted, it's actually been a couple years since I read that fight all the way through, but I remember being surprised by that bit of animation last time I watched the anime.
I went back through my Full-Colours to find it; it's in Chapter 312. After strangling Goku, he falls forward and lands on his left hand and foot, and is then standing in the next panel. It's a far cry from the gif shown above where Frieza lands on all fours and then trots away like a cat. It seems like the animators took some major artistic liberties with the direction of the scene.

If the dub pulled s*** like that there's no way anyone would forgive them for it!
Last edited by KBABZ on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am

The gif on loop is making me laugh so much! Haha.

I've never noticed this before! I guess all the monkey taunting made Freeza subconsciously act like on in that moment?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:03 am

KBABZ wrote:I went back through my Full-Colours to find it; it's in Chapter 312. After strangling Goku, he falls forward and lands on his left hand and foot, and is then standing in the next panel. It's a far cry from the gif shown above where Frieza lands on all fours and then trots away like a cat. It seems like the animators took some major artistic liberties with the direction of the scene.
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was something like that, with a panel of normal balancing movement somehow being used for ... that really strange extended exit.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 am

I remember this scene, and while I thought it's a little odd, I never actually found it funny. Made me think of him as inhuman and more animalistic, which I know goes against his demeanor, but it's exactly that contrast between how he looks and how he speaks that makes him seem so unsettling. Look at the way that tail slowly uncurls and sways as he moves - it's a bit predator like.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 am

Well to be fair he kind of looks like a monkey later in the fight when he's getting pissed off and screaming in anger while struggling against Super Saiyan Goku.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 am

90sDBZ wrote:Well to be fair he kind of looks like a monkey later in the fight when he's getting pissed off and screaming in anger while struggling against Super Saiyan Goku.
I always felt he was monkey-like with the way he has very hand-like feet, just like an ape. Kinda makes him a hypocrite, right?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Probably just Freeza mocking him, thats what I thought when watching kai a few years ago anyway. :?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 am

Man, that does look odd now that you mention it... especially with the amount of emphasis Freeza seems to place on the Saiyan's being monkeys.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 am

KBABZ wrote:
Cipher wrote:I actually don't remember that kind of movement being implied in the manga. Granted, it's actually been a couple years since I read that fight all the way through, but I remember being surprised by that bit of animation last time I watched the anime.
I went back through my Full-Colours to find it; it's in Chapter 312. After strangling Goku, he falls forward and lands on his left hand and foot, and is then standing in the next panel. It's a far cry from the gif shown above where Frieza lands on all fours and then trots away like a cat. It seems like the animators took some major artistic liberties with the direction of the scene.

If the dub pulled s*** like that there's no way anyone would forgive them for it!
And rightfully so because ITS NOT A DUB'S JOB TO ADD NEW ANIMATION.

To be fair, I'm majorly grateful that Funimation didnt do that.

EDIT:I'm extremely sorry for the rude all caps but I needed to say it. You are cool.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: