Greece airs the Orange Bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Greece airs the Orange Bricks?

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:10 pm

ANT1 90's quality
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Smile TV 2018
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ANT1 90's quality
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Smile TV 2018
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by TheRed259 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Greece airs the Orange Bricks?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:59 pm

It seems to me that FUNimation has done a deal with TOEI in which consists they [TOEI] will provide any distributor in the world with the "remastered" footage done by FUNimation. This has been the case in Spain, Germany, Australia, UK, Mexico, and now Greece. Also worth mentioning, Brazil licensed the American Nicktoons version of Dragon Ball Kai so things aren't looking too bright for a proper remaster of DB/Z/GT/Movies on Blu-ray.

The fellas here who are hoping FUNi/TOEI finally decide to sit down and remaster the series/movies frame by frame in high definition are better off not expecting it, at all.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 pm

It's weird because they didn't use Funi's cropped footage in the first episodes. I would have preferred it if they had used the Blu-Rays. At least Vegeta doesn't look like that (picture 4) in the Blu-Rays.
SuperCyan2 wrote:This has been the case in Spain, Germany, Australia, UK, Mexico, and now Greece.
Latin America and Brazil are airing Funi's Blu-Rays but do they air the Orange Bricks as well? Also when you mention Germany, are you referring to the original DB?

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:24 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Latin America and Brazil are airing Funi's Blu-Rays but do they air the Orange Bricks as well? Also when you mention Germany, are you referring to the original DB?
Germany has a censored DVD home release of movies 12 and 13 merged as one, and Poly Band was the distributor behind that, in Germany. However, AB Groupe is also credited so I guess this isn't just a Germany-thing but also France-thing, too.

You probably would like to see actual screenshots so I've included them below. :wink: I took a few screenshots of the original FUNi remaster, it looks a little better (somehow Poly Band wanted to improve an already broken product).

Poly Band
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

FUNimation/Madman
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

In Mexico, the distributor ZIMA licensed FUNimation's Double Feature movies 1-13 and also Dragon Ball movies 1-4, all on Blu-ray.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm

What footage is that? Dragon Box? Levels? Whatever it is, it looks fairly decent.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for the answer SuperCyan2!
Danfun64 wrote:What footage is that? Dragon Box? Levels? Whatever it is, it looks fairly decent.
ANT1's Betacam SP tapes.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Gotcha. Like I said, it looks fairly decent, even if it's not the best source. Why Greece would switch to Orange Bricks footage stretched to 4:3... even long after the Season Blurays have been out for years, is beyond me.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 am

Danfun64 wrote:Gotcha. Like I said, it looks fairly decent, even if it's not the best source. Why Greece would switch to Orange Bricks footage stretched to 4:3... even long after the Season Blurays have been out for years, is beyond me.
I agree. The Blu-Rays would have been a better choice.
Danfun64 wrote:stretched to 4:3
That's more apparent in the Cell Saga for some reason. The previous episodes were just fine imo.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 am

They also air the Orange Bricks in Paraguay...and I couldnt be fucking happier! Because its at least anime on TV! Which is pretty rare.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am

Danfun64 wrote:Gotcha. Like I said, it looks fairly decent, even if it's not the best source. Why Greece would switch to Orange Bricks footage stretched to 4:3... even long after the Season Blurays have been out for years, is beyond me.
There are some shows which remain its original 4x3 AR on TV but most of them have been horribly stretched to 16x9 which looks pretty bad, since the Orange Bricks have been cropped to 16x9 then they [in Greece] should have just aired it as is.

What a mess FUNimation has created although TOEI is to be blamed too.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:It seems to me that FUNimation has done a deal with TOEI in which consists they [TOEI] will provide any distributor in the world with the "remastered" footage done by FUNimation. This has been the case in Spain, Germany, Australia, UK, Mexico, and now Greece. Also worth mentioning, Brazil licensed the American Nicktoons version of Dragon Ball Kai so things aren't looking too bright for a proper remaster of DB/Z/GT/Movies on Blu-ray.

The fellas here who are hoping FUNi/TOEI finally decide to sit down and remaster the series/movies frame by frame in high definition are better off not expecting it, at all.
Yeah, toei tried having a distributor in France use the BD seasons sets too. And I think they did with selecta vision in Spain.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 am

sangofe wrote: Yeah, toei tried having a distributor in France use the BD seasons sets too. And I think they did with selecta vision in Spain.
It's just a matter of time before Selecta Visión releases Dragon Ball Z in "HD" by using FUNimation Season Set Blu-rays.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
sangofe wrote: Yeah, toei tried having a distributor in France use the BD seasons sets too. And I think they did with selecta vision in Spain.
It's just a matter of time before Selecta Visión releases Dragon Ball Z in "HD" by using FUNimation Season Set Blu-rays.
How can you say that? S.V already said no.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 am

The amount of Dragon Ball releases they've been pushing out and just because S.V. said no it doesn't mean they won't. I once asked them if they'd release Dragon Ball Super on BD/DVD and they also said no but fast-forward to the present and they are.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:40 pm

At least they are putting efford into making it look modern, I'll give them that. Putting the Greek audio into Funi's Remastered DVDs and then air the episodes on TV is something I could not see it happening.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm

I'm not sure I understand your comment. "At least they are putting efford into making it look modern, I'll give them that." and "Putting the Greek audio into Funi's Remastered DVDs and then air the episodes on TV is something I could not see it happening." almost seem contradictory. Besides, if these broadcasts are fairly recent, you'd expect them to use the Season Bluray footage.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I'm not sure I understand your comment. "At least they are putting efford into making it look modern, I'll give them that."
The Remastered footage even if it is cropped it does look fresh compared to the old 90s footage. They could have just air the old footage like they did with the first episodes but they decided to go for something more updated and more visually appealing to the casual viewer's eye. I am talking about their possible intentions here.

Personally, I would like to see the entire series from ANT1's VHS tapes with the Mexican opening for Cell Saga, French opening for Buu Saga and the Next Episode Previews from the Cell Saga (which were removed from Smile TV since the Orange Bricks don't have them). Instead we have the Greek version of Makafushigi Adventure used as an Opening and Ending for every episode, no Last Time on DragonBall Z and no Next Episode Previews.
Danfun64 wrote:and "Putting the Greek audio into Funi's Remastered DVDs and then air the episodes on TV is something I could not see it happening." almost seem contradictory. Besides, if these broadcasts are fairly recent, you'd expect them to use the Season Bluray footage.
Because I never expected that some TV channel would bother doing this. Besides, the Greek version is a mess with all the different sources that it uses (Japanese, Latino, French) so I could hardly see someone putting the Greek audio (which may have different speed for every saga due to the different sources of this dub) into the Remastered or any other DVD/Blu-Ray release.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:It seems to me that FUNimation has done a deal with TOEI in which consists they [TOEI] will provide any distributor in the world with the "remastered" footage done by FUNimation. This has been the case in Spain, Germany, Australia, UK, Mexico, and now Greece. Also worth mentioning, Brazil licensed the American Nicktoons version of Dragon Ball Kai so things aren't looking too bright for a proper remaster of DB/Z/GT/Movies on Blu-ray.

Actually, in Brazil, there is a channel called "Rede Brasil" that is now broadcasting the remastered version of Z did by FUNimation.

Kai was a big failure here, so, it does not overshadows the original Z series.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 am

SaintEvolution wrote:Actually, in Brazil, there is a channel called "Rede Brasil" that is now broadcasting the remastered version of Z did by FUNimation.

Kai was a big failure here, so, it does not overshadows the original Z series.
Thank you. This further proves that a Level-treatment for DBZ won't ever be made again since the 'Modern' remaster has been spread like wildfire.

Although, to be fair, FUNimation did give Dragon Ball movies 1-4 a Level-treatment remaster so there's that. :)

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Actually, in Brazil, there is a channel called "Rede Brasil" that is now broadcasting the remastered version of Z did by FUNimation.
You mean the Blu-Rays.
[spoiler]If you are just saying ''the remastered version'' people may think that you are talking about the Orange Bricks.[/spoiler]