Old Viz Graphic Novels

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShenEvil44

Old Viz Graphic Novels

Post by ShenEvil44 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:46 am

Does anybody know if there are any major differences between the different editions of the old Viz graphic novels for Dragon Ball and DBZ?
I have a 6th edition of Dragon Ball Vol.1(1 of 42) from the old printing, but wonder if there were any significant changes from its 1st edition when it was released in August 2000.

Again, these are for the ones BEFORE the Shonen Jump-branded reprints.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Old Viz Graphic Novels

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:38 pm

I believe later printings have some minor corrections(Early printings: "Ball detector!!", later printings: "Dragon radar!!"; early printings: "San Shin Kyuu", later printings: "Sanshinchū"), but they also had some additional censorship. I'm unfamiliar with the details regarding the censorship, but I'm sure others will be able to shed some light on this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:49 pm

The first printing of Viz's collected graphic novels (pre-Shonen Jump) of early Dragon Ball had lots of content edits to nudity and sexual content. Panels of Goku going fishing had him covered up by speech balloons. Bulma flashing Master Roshi had her shirt extended to cover her bottom. Also, I believe Bulma's hand was redrawn when she flips off Pilaf. The edits were more extensive than the current VizBigs.

The later printings of the pre-Shonen Jump graphic novels had all the censored content restored with the addition of a "13 and Up" disclaimer on the cover. This and the first Shonen Jump printings remain the most uncensored English print releases.

ShenEvil44

Post by ShenEvil44 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Just went back and checked with an old episode of the podcast (episode 97). I almost forgot they actually addressed this.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm

I wasn't aware there were Dragon Ball volumes before the ones with SJ on them.

But I guess I wouldn't if they've been out of circulation for so long.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:55 pm

GamerSkull wrote:I wasn't aware there were Dragon Ball volumes before the ones with SJ on them.

Oh yeah, Viz first published the manga starting from the end of the 90s IIRC in monthly "comic book" form, several years before they launched the American Shonen Jump. They had rave reviews from the likes of Chris Psaros from DBZ Uncensored because the only official thing to compare it to was the cut and censored FUNi dub of DBZ. There's also the infamous incident of a father buying them from Toys "R" Us and blowing a gasket when he saw what was in them; Viz responded by sharpening and utilizing their scissors...

Also, there's a thread which touches on the different Viz versions right here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21259 if that's any help.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm

doomydoomydoom wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I wasn't aware there were Dragon Ball volumes before the ones with SJ on them.

Oh yeah, Viz first published the manga starting from the end of the 90s IIRC in monthly "comic book" form, several years before they launched the American Shonen Jump. They had rave reviews from the likes of Chris Psaros from DBZ Uncensored because the only official thing to compare it to was the cut and censored FUNi dub of DBZ. There's also the infamous incident of a father buying them from Toys "R" Us and blowing a gasket when he saw what was in them; Viz responded by sharpening and utilizing their scissors...

Also, there's a thread which touches on the different Viz versions right here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21259 if that's any help.
"Comic book" form? Not sure what that means in regards to being different than what we have now? Do you mean individually releasing chapters like comic book issues?

Actually, does anyone have pictures of these? I'm quite curious now.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 pm

GamerSkull wrote:"Comic book" form? Not sure what that means in regards to being different than what we have now? Do you mean individually releasing chapters like comic book issues?

Actually, does anyone have pictures of these? I'm quite curious now.
Original press release:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/1998/03/05/vi ... h-release/

We just hit the 20 year anniversary on it (photos in link of issues themselves and a 1998 Animerica ad for them):

https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/9 ... 6831416320

They were released in this format at two chapters a pop (later three) up through collected editions becoming the norm / Viz's January 2003 launch of their Shonen Jump print magazine. Briefly talked about it all at the top of last week's podcast episode:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/03/05/po ... sode-0435/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ShenEvil44

Post by ShenEvil44 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 pm

doomydoomydoom wrote:

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!