Dragon Ball Z - Episodes 66-70 - Discussion Thread [Rewatch - Week 14]

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Dragon Ball Z - Episodes 66-70 - Discussion Thread [Rewatch - Week 14]

Post by Ajay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Welcome! For details on this rewatch, click here!

It's Goku time!

Here are some legal ways to stream the series:
Funimation (North America)
AnimeLab (Australia and New Zealand)

This week we're covering:

[spoiler]ケタ外れの強さ!!伝説の超サイヤ人孫悟空
Ketahazure no Tsuyosa!! Densetsu no Sūpā Saiya-jin Son Gokū
Uncommon Strength!! The Legendary Super Saiyan, Son Goku

Goku gives a senzu to not just Gohan and Kuririn, but Vegeta as well. By searching through Kuririn’s memories, he knows about the time that Vegeta had saved their lives! Goku faces Recoom alone. With his extremely calm appearance, does he not know his opponent’s strength…? Gohan and the others think this, and become uneasy. But Goku defeats Recoom with a single hit!! Is Goku the legendary Super Saiyan?!

赤と青の光球!ジースとバータが悟空を襲う
Aka to Ao no Raitoningu Bōru! Jiisu to Baata ga Gokū o Osō
Lightning Balls of Red and Blue! Jheese and Butta Attack Goku

Goku has defeated Recoom with one hit! But Jheese and Butta don’t think that Goku defeated Recoom through skill. They come at Goku together, but can’t hit him even once. Instead, they are blown away with just a kiai. Goku instantaneously raises his ki, so the scouters don’t pick it up! Goku deflects the pair’s combined attack, the Purple Comet Crash, and even Jheese’s Crusher Ball, all with one hand…!

ついに直接対決!!ギニュー隊長のおでましだ
Tsui ni Chokusetsu Taiketsu!! Ginyū Taichō no Odemashi da
At Last, a Direct Confrontation!! Captain Ginyu Takes the Field

Goku’s speed exceeds that of Butta, who prided himself as the fastest in the universe! In order to show that he exceeds Jheese and Butta in power as well, Goku defeats Butta with a single blow. Goku tells Jheese to stop this pointless fight. Jheese flies off to summon Captain Ginyu. Vegeta finishes off the immobile Recoom and Butta, and cautions Goku that he won’t be able to win against Freeza with such softness. Jheese then returns, having brought Captain Ginyu!!

凄まじい迫力!!見たか、悟空のフルパワー
Susamajī Hakuryoku!! Mita ka, Gokū no Furu Pawā
Incredible Force!! Did You See It, Goku’s Full Power?

Gohan and Kuririn head off to search for the Dragon Balls. Vegeta flies off, abandoning Goku. Goku and Ginyu’s one-on-one fight begins! Jheese backs Ginyu, but Ginyu scolds him for it, hoping to have a fair fight. Ginyu presses Goku to display his true power. In response, Goku steadily raises his ki!! Ginyu loses his calm at Goku’s battle power, which far surpasses what he had imagined!

闘いの行方!?最長老に迫るフリーザの魔の手
STatakai no Yukue!? Saichōrō ni Semaru Furīza no Ma no Te
What of the Battle’s Outcome?! Freeza’s Evil Hand Closes Around the Eldest

Goku’s battle power reaches 180,000. Ginyu is frightened, thinking Goku might be a Super Saiyan. Gohan and Kuririn arrive at Bulma’s hiding spot, but Bulma has gone off with the Dragon Radar. Meanwhile, Freeza arrives at the Eldest’s house! Not listening to the prohibitions of Nail, Planet Namek’s strongest warrior, some Namekian warriors challenge Freeza, but Freeza instantly blows them away!![/spoiler]

Suggested Format & Weekly Questions

Language: For the sake of context, let us know which language you're watching the series in (and what score, if required).
General Thoughts: Your thoughts on the episode, possibly linked to the suggested questions if need be. Cover the plot, the tone, the character interactions, and characterisation.
Entertainment Factor: How was the pacing? Did the episode keep you entertained throughout, or what could have been done better?
Animation: Did you like the action sequences, or the way characters emoted? Did things move in a satisfying way, or was it mostly style over substance?
Questions: Not necessary, but if you're curious about opinions on a specific point that hasn't been touched on, go ahead and ask! It's a nice way to spur the topic onward.

- This isn't the first time the series has introduced mindreading abilities, but it is the most overt example of Goku engaging in it up to this point. How do you feel about its inclusion here?

- Goku and Vegeta butted heads on the question of whether the downed Ginyu Squad members should be allowed to leave Namek alive. Vegeta took the choice out of Goku's hands. Does this philosophy serve the Z Team, of which Vegeta is gradually becoming a member starting on Namek?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z - Episodes 66-70 - Discussion Thread [Rewatch - Week 14]

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Philosophy of the Z Team in regards to killing a downed opponent, huh. Dragonball has never been philosophical, but I've always liked the scene where Vegeta kills the unconscious Burter and Recoome to Goku's dismay, if only for the sheer brutality of it. Goku has killed before, but he's definitely not the type who would attack someone while they're down. I don't know what it is, but I enjoy seeing clashes like this.

gaberparadiso
Beyond Newbie

Post by gaberparadiso » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Episode 66

General thoughts: at long last, Goku lands on Namek. And apparently he learnt how to read people's minds off-screen. A skill of his which would never brought back again for some reason. Anyway, he gets to the battlefield along with the Senzu Fairy to heal Gohan, Krillin and Vegeta, whose muscles seem to have a weird reaction after eating the Senzu. This episode marks the return of the 'Goku time' we saw in eps. 119-120-121-122 in DB, and also in eps. 28-29 of Saiyan arc. In fact, Recoome plays Nappa's role, who relies on... pfff, power levels to judge his opponent. And he even imitates Kefla after Goku dodges Recoome Mach Punch. Of course, Goku quickly defeats him with an elbow, but doesn't kill him. Much to Vegeta's horror, since he believes Kakarotto might've become the legendary Super Saiyan (Yamoshi?), a legendary warrior who appears ONLY ONCE in roughly ONE THOUSAND years. lol. As for the cutaway, it's annoying and all, but you know what? I'm sick of writing the same things over and over again, so I guess I'll start to ignore this waste of time.

Entertainment factor: great direction from Orime, once again. Even though I prefer his work from ep. 61, it's still super solid.

Animation: likewise, Orime's storyboarding features some impressive and creative looks, especially when Vegeta explains about the legendary Super Saiyan. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 0427110343 It's really important to have a great storyboard/direction on a relatively light action-packed episode. In fact, there's not an impressive animated cut, but I can't complain since I'm genuinely satisfied by its music direction: Iida animates Goku landing on Namek (and also Recoome Mach Punch), an average scene enhanced by MUSIC. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 7427537925 And so does Kan'no's scene of Goku getting to the battlefield. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 2387012610 However, despite an impressive direction, there's a clear downside: Yukio Ebisawa. Either as an artist, or as a supervisor, I don't like his art. It's way too triangular, too out of scale and completely all over the place. Dishonorable mention is his Vegeta, who looks plain ugly, not to mention his correction on Kan'no's Bulma, which is extremely debatable. Thankfully, Kan'no and Iida's outputs are nicer, and I appreciate how the latter draws quite on-model. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-95_0GeygpXY/T ... z66-01.jpg

Music: if we exclude the Bardock TV special, this is the first time M10** (movie 3 BGM) is used in DBZ. At least in the regular series. As a whole, this compilation is slightly better than M9**, and I quite like the presence of CHORUS, which gives more weight to Kikuchi's tracks. M1010 is a clear example, as it's played when Goku arrives at the battlefield, hosted by a CHORUS. Overall, this is probably the best DBZ BGM placement so far: M1002 when Goku reads Krillin's mind, the sinister M1008 when Vegeta stares at Goku, and last but not least, M1020, A Sign of Hope, when Goku lands on Namek. Nearly, if not utterly, perfect.

Overall: 8/10. Great direction. If it were more animated, my rating would be higher.

Episode 67

General thoughts: we have another fight, Goku vs Jeice and Burter. Oddly enough, while I like this fight much better than Gohan vs Recoome and... the Goku vs Recoome ersatz fight, I'm a tad underwhelmed by the essence of this episode. Sadly, there are several subplots: the first one with Freezer going HOHOHO is okay-ish, the second one with Ginyu playing with Freezer's minions is definitely useless. WE GET IT, HE'S OBSESSED WITH COOL POSES. And the third one is my least favorite, and guess what, it involves Bulma. AGAIN, STOP IT. Why wasn't she killed? Either way, Goku punching Jeice in the face is funny, Goku sneaking behind Burter is also kinda funny. And again, I enjoyed the main fight. I wish it were treated with a better direction.

Entertainment factor: unlike the previous episode, we get a pretty mediocre direction from Daisuke Nishio, the original series director. Such a pity, indeed. This kind of episode deserved a lot more.

Animation: the real force of this episode? Shida and Ohara. No need to explain why, they're simply outstanding animators, and once again, they handle the majority of the action: Ohara in particular, who animates Jeice and Burter's Red Magma and Blue Hurricane vs Goku, Ginyu's cutaway and the Purple Comet Crush in the 2nd half, while Shida handles Goku punching Jeice, Goku's breakdancing and large part of the Crusher Ball sequence near the end. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 9760932864 Art-wise, it's corrected by Uchiyama, as per usual, but by now we can trace some important individualities: Shida's more complex shading or Ohara's strangely perfect teeth on Ginyu (also with canines at some point). https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 0020715521

Music: decent placement here. I love M1012 (used when Gohan bumps into Turles in movie 3) being played at the beginning, and M814 as the ending track. Although, WHY PLACING YOUR BETS IN DB MOVIE 3, one of the weakest? Goku Flies Into A Rage during Bulma's cutaway??? Is that a joke??

Overall: 7,5/10. If only it had better direction.

Taisa732

Post by Taisa732 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:23 am

Language: Japanese

Episode 66:
General Thoughts: Ok... I'll try to say this as delicately as I can and hopefully nobody gets offended. Just keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and no objective analysis (unlike usual).
But... I hate Goku in this particular moment, not just in the anime, in the manga to (a side from the fact that is almost a replica of his arrival in the saiyan arc) . I don't know what it is, something about it gets under my shin and annoys me. I've spent years trying to figure out why that is and the closest I can get comes down to three factors.
1- Let's start with his attitude. Unlike the saiyan arc, where he was taking it seriously, here he looks too carefree even after he sees his five year old son with his neck broken. It's almost like it's a joke to him.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind lighter tones in a serious moment (like a lot of others along the road), but there are moments where it seems out of place. And before anyone points this out, I know that this is Goku's character, but this wasn't his approach in the exact same situation in the saiyan arc.
2- The mind reading. Oh how this bothers me! I get the reasons behind it, Goku isn't aware of what is going on so Toriyama made him understand the situation easily so that the story could progress. But it comes out of nowhere and it's never used again (by Goku at least). Not to mention that it supposed to be something sages do, like Korin for example.
“When did you learn to do that Goku?” “I don't know, ask the author”.
3- Why does he feel the need to go have a chat with Jeice and Burter? Did he really have the urge to go show off? Is it really necessary? In the saiyan arc he rightfully doesn't do anything like that, because in fact it doesn't make any sense.
The only thing good about it is how everybody else is confused with the exception of Vegeta. Was it worth it? Absolutely not!
With all this said I still don't think I've managed to grasp the reason why I want to go there to slap Goku and scream “Stop being a douche!” and it's the only time in the entire series.

Animation: Not much to say here, a lot of standing around and talking. Maybe the only thing I find funny and worth mentioning is Recoome trying to get the senzu with his mouth loosing another tooth in the process. It's a nice silly little addition.

Episode 67:
General Thoughts: Meh... just filler upon filler that remands me that I still dislike Goku in this part of the story, for apparently no reason.
And since I've already talked about it I won't dwell on it.

Animation: Animation on the other hand has some nice little things. Fine, it's a standing around episode (again), but Jeice and Burter' acting is fun to watch. Also, despite not having a lot of actual movements, what is there is pretty well done.

Episode 68:
General Thoughts: The most interesting thing in this episode is probably Captain Ginyu. It starts to characterize him separate from his team. He's the first and only member to understand not to rely on the scouter, and that Goku is obviously capable to control his ki.
Other than that I like the little discussion about the dragon balls and Saichoro, and the fact that Vegeta leaves Goku in the dust by betraying him at the last second.

Animation: I was looking forward to this one. Everything is so well animated and interesting to watch. Even things like Krillin taking a step forward or Vegeta turning his head. And some very nice framing to.

Episode 69:
General Thoughts: Still building up Ginyu, more than anything.

Animation: Although the previews episode had a better composition and overall better animation in regards of Vegeta's betrayal, I do have to admit that I really liked his anticipation before leaving.
With that said easily the best part of the episode is the beginning. Goku and Ginyu's initial fight has a lot of very nice movements.
Other than that, I also liked Bulma jumping on the motorbike and starting the engine.

Episode 70:
General Thoughts: One thing I never really liked is Ginyu throwing rocks and ki blasts at Goku. It's a weird reaction that to me doesn't make any sense.
Another thing I find odd are the three namekians. Who are they, where do they come from and why are they intervening just now? I know that the real answer is filler, but this is why it bothers me. I don't have problems with fillers if they fit in or if they are interesting, but in this case it's nether so it stands out like a sore thumb.

Animation: Even if I don't like the namekians scene as a concept, at least it's very well done, so I can't complain to much.

- This isn't the first time the series has introduced mindreading abilities, but it is the most overt example of Goku engaging in it up to this point. How do you feel about its inclusion here?

I've extensively already talked about this, so you can just read up-above. But if you want a summarised version of it: I hate it and it doesn't make sense, Goku isn'tthe type of character that should have this ability.

- Goku and Vegeta butted heads on the question of whether the downed Ginyu Squad members should be allowed to leave Namek alive. Vegeta took the choice out of Goku's hands. Does this philosophy serve the Z Team, of which Vegeta is gradually becoming a member starting on Namek?

One of the reasons I think Dragon Ball is so popular is because it has such a colourful and varied cast of characters. everyone of which has his/hers own baggage and philosophy. The so called Z Team doesn't have a specific and agreeable point of view on a lot of things, killing being one of them.
Despite being the hero of this story, Goku isn't opposed killing. He often did it when he was a kid. The reason he and Vegeta butt heads in this very instant isn't because they have a different views on killing, but a different view on why to kill.
Vegeta's philosophy is to kill given the chance, Goku kills only if he has to. Form his prospective Ginyu Tokusentai team members are inferior to him therefore not worth killing. If anything he's most likely hoping that living to fight another day will bring them back to him just to give him a new challenge. Like he already did with Piccolo or Vegeta and it's what he'll be doing with Frieza shortly.
And that's a philosophy that nobody in the Z Team can agree with.
https://twitter.com/Taisa7321

Sorry if my English isn't perfect

gaberparadiso
Beyond Newbie

Post by gaberparadiso » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 am

Episode 68

General thoughts: there's a Bulma cutaway, but I DON'T CARE. Anyway, the interaction between Vegeta and the others is actually meaningful, as it shows he MIGHT've started a slow change of heart. Some episodes ago, he would've killed Krillin and the others for nearly killing him on Earth. This time, however, whilst acting salty, he's an opportunist, since he's aware of needing other people's help to fight Freezer. He's STILL a doublecrosser, as he leaves Goku alone to fight Ginyu and Jeice, but he's also SLIGHTLY less evil than he was 20 episodes ago. Besides, we get to know Ginyu's personality better: he's a pose-maniac, but is definitely a more intelligent warrior than Recoome or Burter, as he actually realizes Goku was holding back all the time. In fact, I understand why he's the captain of the Ginyu Force: he's the ONLY one to be intelligent. Guldo is a weakling, Recoome is a dumbass, Burter is a vain idiot and Jeice is stupid. Makes sense in hindsight.

Entertainment factor: enjoyable as a whole. Solid direction from Fujise. Not fantastic, but it works.

Animation: this is the 1st episode with Masahiro Shimanuki as an animation supervisor, taking Takeuchi's place. And from this point onwards Seigasha episodes undergo a massive improvement both art- and animation-wise. For the animation neophytes, who want to know more about DB animation, I suggest to start from Shimanuki, since his artstyle is possibly the easiest to recognize. His corrections are strong, but not dominant. In fact, artists like Hisada, Takeuchi and Misumi can also be traced throughout the episode. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 9271326721 In terms of animation, I think Shimanuki provided some uncredited key animation during Ginyu's first cutaway and Freezer flying. Goku vs Burter is animated by both Yoko Iizuka and Naoki Tate, on his very first experience as a Seigasha key animator. So, it's not a surprise to see a scene not as strong and mature as his current work, since he was promoted from an in-betweener to a key animator prior to this episode. Then, Kazuya Hisada handles Vegeta finishing off Recoome and Burter, and Ginyu getting to the battlefield, with also a really cool rotation from Vegeta: so exaggerated, so animated, so full of life. Does truly remind me of Tate's current output. Lastly, Misumi animates the final part with Krillin and Gohan flying and Vegeta betraying Goku. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 4935339014

Music: The Darkest Hour is so dramatic (when Ginyu and Jeice arrive). Great. That aside, it's a quite solid placement, with M1012, M811 and M909 being used correctly.

Overall: 8/10. Solid.

Episode 69

General thoughts: so, Goku vs Ginyu at long last. It's pretty decent as a showdown: it gets interrupted several times for well-known reasons, sometimes for better (Vegeta is still wicked) and sometimes for worse (Bulma's cutaways...). Let's linger over Vegeta's cutaway for a moment: even though I said he's SLIGHTLY less evil than he was some episodes ago, it doesn't mean he's totally a good guy. In fact, Vegeta is still a doublecrosser and a schemer, as he predicts Goku and Ginyu will kill each other, since they're evenly matched. His main goal is to become immortal and to take over the whole universe. So yeah, he's still evil, but more like a conveniently evil opportunist. As for Ginyu, he shows to be intelligent, since he tells Goku he can control his power just like him. And we get to the highlight of this episode, the final sequence with Goku scaring Ginyu and Jeice by using the Kaioken to power up. Possibly the only genuine well-directed moment, with a nice use of M816.

Entertainment factor: I don't have great expectations about Okazaki's direction, but here it's quite decent. There are too many digressions and the ending scene aside, there's not that much tension, either.

Animation: although, I sort of appreciate the sense of scale in his storyboard during the main fight. As for the fight itself, it has a quite strong start with Yamamuro, who makes nice use of his martial arts experience (something we also see in his current storyboards) and his timing is fairly recognizable. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 3667310594 Even Ryu's sequence is not bad, either: we get some background animation, Ginyu's pole dance and a smeary tornado kick. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 2675645440 Unfortunately, though, the fight feels much weaker in the 2nd half, with Shibata's really conservative portion, which is nothing that great. I'm 100% sure that if we remove M814 and Arai's sound effects from this scene, it will look much worse than it actually is. I don't particularly like it. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 6339481601 Lastly, we get to Goku's power up segment, which I think it was handled by Miki Ugai (even though Yamamuro worked on the previous scene of Ginyu scolding Jeice for interfering), and it's mostly well-directed. Ginyu's reaction shots look good, but Goku's proportions are a bit questionable, like ears and eyes. https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 6983439362

Music: once again, another solid placement. M818, M811, M1002, M909 and M816 are used quite correctly.

Overall: 8/10. I was going to give a 7,5/10 rating, but then I realized this was better than I expected.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 am

Episodes covered: Dragon Ball Z 66-70 ("Dragon Ball 219-223")

EPISODE 66
* An old "Big Green dub" Tree of Might VHS tape was pretty much what introduced me to Head Cha La and Kikuchi's score, so hearing that movie's score in the series now is just finger-licking good and nostalgic to me. Goku's arrival is a great moment to introduce it, too.
* The rocks kicking up, Jheese and Butta reacting almost in slow-motion - brilliantly done! When Jheese and Butta try to attack Goku, though... that honestly looks like something 12-year-old me would've drawn in a crummy fancomic, with the disproportionate limbs and everything.
* It is indeed an Ultra Miracle for a Dragon Ball character to attack an opponent who is in the middle of charging an attack.
* And here we have Vegeta pulling a Tenshinhan, with his "That was no ordinary attack, I am the only one who saw what really happened!!"

EPISODE 67
* Lovely animation here of Jheese and Butta darting around.
* I guess this is a suitable moment for me to explain why Butta has always been my favorite member of the Ginyu squad. The main reason is simply that I like his design. For starters, my favorite color is blue. But that's not all - he's black-and-white in the manga, but I still love how he looks there. He's this hulk of a monster, yet not a typical slow brute for a change. Fangs and clawlike hands add a bestial touch to his otherwise humanoid appearance. I like that his limbs reach so far that, when standing next to Goku, he opts to strike him with his elbow rather than his fist. These are the kinds of minuscule details you start to analyse when a character you like doesn't actually have anything substantial going for him.
* At least now you understand why I would totally volunteer to be a stand-in for Butta during these special pose rehearsals of Ginyu's. Even if it meant getting punted into Namek's third sun.

EPISODE 68
* Of all the villains Goku decides to spare, I feel like the Ginyu goons are some of the least evil and more likely to actually have a change of heart. Convince them they're better off without Freeza, give them something fun to do that doesn't involve killing and plundering, and they'd probably fall in line reasonably quick. Again, they have lots of untapped potential... snuffed out by Vegeta.
* I love how lost Vegeta is when he hears about "Shenlong" and a specific phrase being required to summon him.

EPISODE 69
* Oh hi random underwater snake things that eerily resemble Porunga.
* I really like that Vegeta is still operating under his own agenda, the way he has been doing this entire arc so far. When you know what happens later on, it's easy to think of him as an ally already, but he is still very much a villain who's looking out for himself and himself alone.
* Great animation and choreography here - Goku vs Ginyu seems like an underappreciated fight, and Captain Ginyu himself an underappreciated character. He has a certain pride as a warrior, a "code" if you will, the way he hates Jheese trying to "help" when he was finally having the time of his life against a worthy opponent. It reminds me of Tenshinhan at the 22nd Tenka'ichi Budôkai, when he shouts for Chiaotzu/Tsuru-Sen'nin to stop interfering with his match.
* Bulma seeing all 7 Dragon Balls on the radar and speeding off towards them is something I would've liked to see in the manga. It's perfectly in-character for her to want to get in on the action despite the danger, and as I've mentioned before, she could've been of use with her ability to speak Namekian.
* You know what's unusual? The fact that Ginyu's scouter doesn't explode upon detecting Goku's massive power increase. Proper top-quality gear, for a change.

EPISODE 70
* Wow. Ginyu's freakout is unnecessarily crazy and intense (in an entertaining way).
* For some reason I never connected these dots - the Grand Elder sends Dende to assist the Earthlings because Nail abstained from doing so. No idea how I never picked up on that.
* I wonder why Freeza would bother taking off his scouter in order to eye-laser the Grand Elder's house, when he can just, I dunno, fire a similar laser from a finger.

It's... random and strange, because Goku never does it again (At least not this blatantly - you could say his "I sorta know what's going on" after recovering from his illness in the Cell arc to be a mixture of listening and mind-reading, I guess). A better alternative might've been a short cutaway before having Goku say "I see, so that's what's going on", implying Kuririn just verbally filled Goku in on everything, but then you'd have to wonder why Recoom & co. just stood there waiting for them to finish their conversation. All in all, it's one of those Toriyama things where I shrug and move on.

I wish the Ginyu squad survived and continued having wacky adventures, but alas, they don't get to be part of Dragon Ball's foes-turned-ally club. I don't think leaving them alive would've been all that detrimental to Goku & co. as they're too powerless to fight back at that point. And who even knows what they would've done after Freeza's demise. Come to Earth for revenge? Collect the Dragon Balls to revive their fallen comrade, Gurd? Ginyu seeking to swap bodies with the legendary Super Saiyan who vanquished his master? The possibilities are endless.

Favorite character: While Butta's my favorite Ginyu member in general, I can't say he stole the show or did anything particularly noteworthy, which is what I look for regarding this category. Therefore, this week goes to the fabulous Captain Ginyu, for the same reason Goku said he didn't want to have to kill him: he is a fair fighter (aside from the fact that he steals bodies, buuut that's for later).
Previous favorites: Raditz, Gohan, the Saber Tiger, Kaiô, Tenshinhan, Vegeta(1), Kuririn(1), Bulma, Vegeta(2), Kuririn(2), the Grand Elder, Vegeta(3), Recoom.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

gaberparadiso
Beyond Newbie

Post by gaberparadiso » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Episode 70

General thoughts: the episode starts from they left last time, with Goku powering up and scaring both Ginyu and Jeice, the former of whom suffers a mental breakdown, which causes him to throw giant rocks at Goku, to crush a fly and then to start laughing hysterically for some reason. I'm taking back what I said previously about Ginyu being intelligent, since the next episodes are going to explain WHY Ginyu is as stupid as the other Ginyu Force members. Anyway, Freezer arrives at Saichoro's place, and takes advantage of this situation by murdering some more Namekians. He doesn't even need to raise his hand, just acting like the Big Bad Wolf is necessary.

Entertainment factor: passable. Okay-ish direction from Ueda this time. It's not bad, but could be better.

Animation: this is the first Maeda episode without Hisashi Eguchi, who left Studio Junio prior to this ep., and with new names like Chikako Uesugi, Kuniko Iwagami and Noriko Ishibashi, who I still don't know anything about, because of Maeda's corrections. We also have better-known animators like Ide and Nakatsuru, who animate the first 3 minutes with Goku's power up (with a badass-looking red flaming aura on his Kaioken) and Bulma's cutaway https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 4495792129, with Nakatsuru's lack of expressions on her looking a bit problematic at this point https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 8819826688, Okimoto and Satou. The latter handles the final part with Freezer and Nail, after killing off the Namekian warriors. His Nail is pretty great, just like his Goku, who looks more mature than Maeda's take on the character (I'm referring to his corrections, of course). https://twitter.com/DBanimators/status/ ... 7771406338 http://fotologimg.s3.amazonaws.com/phot ... 0765_f.jpg Among the animation credits, we also have Eisaku Inoue, who is mostly known for his One Piece experience, but despite this, I don't know which scene he made.

Music: reusing M923. This detail aside, okay placement.

Overall: 7/10. Still decent.