What's the level of Japanese language they used in DB/Z/GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What's the level of Japanese language they used in DB/Z/GT?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 pm

They seemed to have always used more or less the same type of words which made it easier for foreigners/gaijins such as myself to memorize some words. So, that's to say, is it like the 'standard' Japanese in a way without spending too much time explaining it?
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

geralds

Re: What's the level of Japanese language they used in DB/Z/GT?

Post by geralds » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Most any anime are gonna use an advance level of Japanese. One thing you will realise with any anime if it's unless it's trying to be more realistic and about ever say life there will be a good amount you don't know. There is a lot of show specific vocabulary. If you don't spend a good amount of time in Japanese a lot of what they say won't make sense as some stuff doesn't translate well to English. Even when you see English subtitles your still not fully getting the correct translation as that's near impossible. If you understand Japanese it's not really wrong but it's not really right ether. I'd say you would need to spend s year of intensive study minimum to fully grasp Japanese in dragonball or any other anime. So just enjoy the anime with subtitles unless your seriously wanting devote enough time to learn Japanese.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:40 pm

I took 4 years of japanese in highschool (aroun 2 years of college level equivilant) and I understand about 65-80% of the japanese in Dragon ball.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Speaking as an intermediate Japanese learner who regularly watches Super raw and is currently reading the manga in Japanese:

It's pretty simple, largely, I think, due to a combination of: Toriyama's preferences as a writer, the rather simple nature of most characters, and its target audience of children. This is not high-register stuff.

The most you have to look out for is the character dialects, as, especially reading the manga, you'll need at least a decent foundation in all major grammar patterns to suss out the ways some of the more rural characters are changing them. But it's not too bad.

As I'm reading through the Boo arc, the only thing I really pause on now is unknown vocabulary, and even that doesn't pop up at a frustrating rate. Familiarity with the story increases the reading speed too, of course.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Cipher wrote:Speaking as an intermediate Japanese learner who regularly watches Super raw and is currently reading the manga in Japanese:

It's pretty simple, largely, I think, due to a combination of: Toriyama's preferences as a writer, the rather simple nature of most characters, and its target audience of children. This is not high-register stuff.

The most you have to look out for is the character dialects, as, especially reading the manga, you'll need at least a decent foundation in all major grammar patterns to suss out the ways some of the more rural characters are changing them. But it's not too bad.

As I'm reading through the Boo arc, the only thing I really pause on now is unknown vocabulary, and even that doesn't pop up at a frustrating rate. Familiarity with the story increases the reading speed too, of course.
do Goku, Chi Chi, Fat Boo and Gyumao have different grammar?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30