Would you be interested in a Colossal Edition of the manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Would you be interested in a Colossal Edition of the manga?

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 pm

I know that there are many versions of the manga out there but would you be interested in a Colossal Edition (1000 pages, 7 x 1.7 x 10.4 intches) as well?
Last edited by TheRed259 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Would you be interested in a Colossal Edition of the manga?

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 pm

TheRed259 wrote:I know that there are many versions of the manga out there but would you be interested in a Colossal Edition (1000 pages, 27x4x28 cm / 7 x 1.7 x 10.4 intches) as well?
Well, there's already a Vizbig version but I wouldn't mind a Colossal Edition if it had good binding or was in hardcover. (The VizBigs have a lot of binding issues).
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 pm

No as reading it would be too hard because of all the pages. I think what we have is more than enough.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm

I think the Full Colours may actually get close to catering this, as they're in the original full-size Shonen Jump dimensions when released in the US.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

I don't own them yet, but from what I've handled of them, the VizBigs seem to already be reaching a threshold on being so big as to be a bit unwieldy and uncomfortable to read, though I don't think they're exactly at that point. I think that's as big as I'd be willing to go.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:38 pm

If we're comparing to the Colossal Edition of Attack on Titan, then definitely not. Being in paperback makes them kinda awful, and they look like its very easy for them to get spine creases. My ideal manga release would be the size and volume layout of the digest editions, but in hardcover.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 am

Not at all. In fact, I find the VizBigs to be kind of annoying to read due to their thickness, to the point where I actually considered getting Viz's regular release (whatever it's called). Thankfully cooler heads prevailed.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:08 am

A Colossal Edition wouldn't interest me, but I second this notion:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:My ideal manga release would be the size and volume layout of the digest editions, but in hardcover.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:13 am

I'd just like an affordable, uncensored release. Black and white, colour, big volumes, small volumes... Doesn't matter. Long as the whole run is reasonably priced, and it's not censored, I'm good. Colour is a nice bonus that I would probably pay a little more for, but size of the volume is largely irrelevant for me, as I prefer digital. If I do have to go physical, something about the size of your average western trade collection would be nice. If the book's too thick, it could be a bit cumbersome, but that probably wouldn't bother me much; if it's not digital, I'll probably only be reading it at home anyway, so that won't matter anyway.

In any case, realistically, with Viz, the best we're gonna get in terms of censorship is no visual censorship aside from Popo's lips, which is how the Full Colours seem to be doing things so far.
Presuming the Full Colours end up covering the entire run, and continuing to have uncensored visuals aside from Popo's lips for the entire time, then I would absolutely not be interested in any other release unless it's fully uncensored or significantly cheaper. I doubt a "Colossal Edition" would be either of those things.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 pm

It would be interesting to see hardcover DB omnibuses, in the same/similar format, dimensions and page count as the Omnibuses from Marvel and DC Comics.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:25 pm

I started with the VizBigs but after having a poor experience with the bindings, I started collecting the regular editions that Viz published (the standard 1-volume ones).

Well, I initially went to the regular 3-in-1s but the paper quality, while not terrible, wasn't what I wanted. So the standard Viz editions is what I'm going for despite being more costly.

So a Colossal Edition wouldn't be good as long as the binding is good and it is in hardcover.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"