Yandere Villainesses Possible?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Yandere Villainesses Possible?

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Admit haven't watched much of Super and thus am not sure if they've done this by now, but was wondering would Yandere villainesses work with the franchise? For those who aren't familiar with the term, someone who has a crazy infatuation and will become obsessed and possibly murderous in their pursuit of their interest. Think Kai Puar's voice actress' role in "Future Diary" as seen below:

Possibly a superpowered stalker after somebody, though guess Princess Snake is the closest we might've gotten, but thought I'd ask if that could work with the franchise.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Yandere Villainesses Possible?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Closest would probably be Kale when she gets jealous.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 pm

So basically Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction? That seems more like a movie villain than one that could carry a whole TV arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Kale and Android 21.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Android 21 I think works pretty well, she's VERY maniacal and indulgent in her performance. What's the status on giving Arc 3 spoilers for FighterZ here?

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:14 pm

As long as the person isn't following Goku or is obsessed with him, I'm fine. We've had too many villains that are obsessed with fighting him or killing him.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Logania wrote:As long as the person isn't following Goku or is obsessed with him, I'm fine. We've had too many villains that are obsessed with fighting him or killing him.
As long as Toei are in charge of the Super anime, this is exactly how this kind of story would play out.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Zamasu.

10char

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 pm

I don't think Toriyama is savvy enough with the sub-culture of Otaku but if a project was ever led by someone other than Toriyama then I would certainly be up for it. Hell, if those elements were played up with Zamasu in a remake of the Future Trunks arc I'd approve, too. Frankly, I've love Satou Jun'ichi or Ikuhara Kunihiko to go crazy with Gokuu Black and Zamasu.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote: As long as Toei are in charge of the Super anime, this is exactly how this kind of story would play out.
Which studio would you want doing Dragon Ball instead?

I'd kill for some Studio Bones Dragon Ball myself.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:58 pm

It already exists. Her name is Kale
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 am

JulieYBM wrote:I don't think Toriyama is savvy enough with the sub-culture of Otaku but if a project was ever led by someone other than Toriyama then I would certainly be up for it. Hell, if those elements were played up with Zamasu in a remake of the Future Trunks arc I'd approve, too. Frankly, I've love Satou Jun'ichi or Ikuhara Kunihiko to go crazy with Gokuu Black and Zamasu.
As interesting as that sounds, I have a feeling it wouldn't be the best idea in practice.
Logania wrote:Which studio would you want doing Dragon Ball instead?

I'd vote for Madhouse, terrific animators and directors.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:09 am

Well, realistically, I don't think any non-Toei studio will ever do it. And, really, I don't know anywhere near enough about anime studios to even try to suggest another studio that could do a better job.

Still, my point is simply that I think Goku is seen as far too marketable for them to have an arc villain who isn't interested in Goku. And since Battle Of Gods, in my opinion, Toei haven't really taken any risks with Dragon Ball. So... That's really all I was trying to say.
Kuwabara wrote:I'd vote for Madhouse, terrific animators and directors.
They're the guys who did Death Note and One Punch Man, right?
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. Maybe they'd have the sense to do the show seasonal rather than continuous too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:14 am

As for a studio other than Toei Animation, the studio almost never matters with regards to quality. One-Punch Man's success was not because of Madhouse but because of the freelance directors and animators brought onto the project to go wild. If I really had to be pinned to a 'studio', though, I would probably choose Pierrot if only because there was so much in the way of recent connections to good staff. Tsuru Toshiyuki or Wakabayashi Atsushi leading a Dragon Ball project would be phenomenal. If anyone could ever convince Shinbou Akiyuki to return to personally directing and storyboarding then I'd say run over to Shaft, a studio crawling with good copy cat directors.
Kuwabara wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I don't think Toriyama is savvy enough with the sub-culture of Otaku but if a project was ever led by someone other than Toriyama then I would certainly be up for it. Hell, if those elements were played up with Zamasu in a remake of the Future Trunks arc I'd approve, too. Frankly, I've love Satou Jun'ichi or Ikuhara Kunihiko to go crazy with Gokuu Black and Zamasu.
As interesting as that sounds, I have a feeling it wouldn't be the best idea in practice.

I'd vote for Madhouse, terrific animators and directors.
I don't see why not. Bringing in strong leaders with their own ideas and allowing them to execute those ideas worked pretty wonderfully for the Future Trunks arc in the cartoon until the schedule caught up and Hatano Morio and Tomioka Atsuhiro had to stretch the arc out even further than they should have.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 am

Robo4900 wrote:They're the guys who did Death Note and One Punch Man, right?
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. Maybe they'd have the sense to do the show seasonal rather than continuous too.
Yes, and also the 2011 version of Hunter x Hunter, which has stellar direction and budgeting.
JulieYBM wrote:I don't see why not. Bringing in strong leaders with their own ideas and allowing them to execute those ideas worked pretty wonderfully for the Future Trunks arc in the cartoon until the schedule caught up and Hatano Morio and Tomioka Atsuhiro had to stretch the arc out even further than they should have.
To be more specific, I meant the idea of appealing more to otaku tastes, unless I just have a very different idea of what you meant there... :P
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:25 am

Kuwabara wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I don't see why not. Bringing in strong leaders with their own ideas and allowing them to execute those ideas worked pretty wonderfully for the Future Trunks arc in the cartoon until the schedule caught up and Hatano Morio and Tomioka Atsuhiro had to stretch the arc out even further than they should have.
To be more specific, I meant the idea of appealing more to otaku tastes, unless I just have a very different idea of what you meant there... :P
Oh, I see. I don't see why not. Otaku like many things, so why not let the Otaku who create the series interject their own interests into it?
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:32 am

JulieYBM wrote:Oh, I see. I don't see why not. Otaku like many things, so why not let the Otaku who create the series interject their own interests into it?
Like I said, I admit it could be interesting, even inspired, but I think part of why Dragon Ball continues to be such a pervasive worldwide hit has to do with Toriyama not being as dialed into what other authors would expect fans to like.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:36 am

Kuwabara wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Oh, I see. I don't see why not. Otaku like many things, so why not let the Otaku who create the series interject their own interests into it?
Like I said, I admit it could be interesting, even inspired, but I think part of why Dragon Ball continues to be such a pervasive worldwide hit has to do with Toriyama not being as dialed into what other authors would expect fans to like.
But I'm not talking specifically about Toriyama doing what other people might like, although that is apparently how he made Dragon Ball. If leadership is going to be held by someone else--and most people in the animation and comics industry being Otaku--then I don't see why those elements cannot be worked in.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 am

Logania wrote:As long as the person isn't following Goku or is obsessed with him, I'm fine. We've had too many villains that are obsessed with fighting him or killing him.
I say someone who's obsessed with Goten (but he himself would need more of a personality first... :( )