Is the Dragon Ball franchise sort of split into Classic and Modern now?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Is the Dragon Ball franchise sort of split into Classic and Modern now?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:57 am

Older fans remember what Dragon Ball was about, what series it had, what scores it had and which were the original Saiyan transformations. Now, with Super that changed things drastically and it gave me a vibe the franchise is now seen as 'Classic Dragon Ball' era and 'Modern Dragon Ball' era. By that, I will explain.

Classic Dragon Ball
  • Dragon Ball (001-153)
  • Dragon Ball: Movies 1-4
  • Dragon Ball: Fire and Traffic Safety — Specials
  • Dragon Ball Z (001-291)
  • Dragon Ball Z: Movies 1-13
  • Dragon Ball Z: TV-Specials 1-2
  • Dragon Ball Z: The Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans — Special
  • Dragon Ball GT (01-64)
  • Dragon Ball GT: TV-Special
Modern Dragon Ball
  • Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! — Special
  • Dragon Ball: The Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans — Special
  • Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock — Special
  • Dragon Ball Kai — Kenji Yamamoto Ver. (01-95)
  • Dragon Ball Kai — Shunsuke Kikuchi Ver. (01-98)
  • Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters — Japanese Edition (01-61)
  • Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters — International Edition (01-69)
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Battle of Gods
  • Dragon Ball Z Movie 15: Resurrection F
  • Dragon Ball Super (001-131)
  • Dragon Ball Super Movie 1: (Untitled)
Classic Super Saiyan
  • Super Saiyan
  • Super Saiyan 2
  • Super Saiyan 3
  • Super Saiyan 4
Modern Super Saiyan
  • Super Saiyan God
  • Super Saiyan Blue
  • Super Saiyan Rosé
  • Super Saiyan Rage
  • Super Saiyan Berserker
  • Super Saiyan Evolution
  • Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken
  • Ultra Instinct
  • Mastered Ultra Instinct
Classic Soundtrack
  • Shunsuke Kikuchi
  • Kenji Yamamoto
  • Akihito Tokunaga
  • Keiju Ishikawa
  • Hiroshi Takaki
Modern Soundtrack
  • Shunsuke Kikuchi
  • Kenji Yamamoto
  • Norihito Sumitomo
  • Keiju Ishikawa
  • Hiroshi Takaki
To be honest, for the most part of 'Modern Dragon Ball' I don't really care much about except Kai with the Yamamoto score but the new movie might get me excited like the old days did.
Last edited by SuperCyan2 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Is the Dragon Ball franchise sort of split into Classic and Modern now?

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 am

Rename the movie to Dragon Ball Super Movie 1 :wave:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:13 am

mute_proxy wrote:Rename the movie to Dragon Ball Super Movie 1 :wave:
Is it actually a Dragon Ball Super movie or with connections made to DBS? If the latter, it's just a way of TOEI to not completely scrap Super from existence because fans want more out of it. Dragon Ball Super will never be as popular or as good as Dragon Ball Z was which is why Z is still used to this very day (FighterZ, for example).

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Is it actually a Dragon Ball Super movie or with connections made to DBS? If the latter, it's just a way of TOEI to not completely scrap Super from existence because fans want more out of it. Dragon Ball Super will never be as popular or as good as Dragon Ball Z was which is why Z is still used to this very day (FighterZ, for example).
It's a DBS movie Toriyama said so. Z hasn't been used for anything in awhile. Fighters was just that in the initial press release I believe and they just stylized it as a Z later probably as a little nod, the game itself is still labelled as a DB game not Z.

The Z brand is also kinda not doing so hot right now in Japan and any little Z related merch we have some of which is being labelled as DBS overseas, there's a reason for that. DBS might not hit popularity heights of Z but you shouldn't understate it's current popularity, it's pretty damn high.

I think people are just tired with Z or "Classic DB" how you put it, there's only only so much you can push the boat out with it.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
It is, yes, in the main movie page, and it's not 20th anniversary of anything, it's the 20th movie. Oh and FighterZ sounds better than FighterGT and FighterSuper so there's that.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:52 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It's a DBS movie Toriyama said so. Z hasn't been used for anything in awhile. Fighters was just that in the initial press release I believe and they just stylized it as a Z later probably as a little nod, the game itself is still labelled as a DB game not Z.

The Z brand is also kinda not doing so hot right now in Japan and any little Z related merch we have some of which is being labelled as DBS overseas, there's a reason for that. DBS might not hit popularity heights of Z but you shouldn't understate it's current popularity, it's pretty damn high.

I think people are just tired with Z or "Classic DB" how you put it, there's only only so much you can push the boat out with it.
Alright, I've changed it and thanks for confirming it. Still kinda strange that Dragon Ball Super is actually getting a movie but good for those that like it.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am

Please, do not turn Dragon Ball into Sonic, with the classic and modern division.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:03 am

Desassina wrote:Please, do not turn Dragon Ball into Sonic, with the classic and modern division.
Interesting that you'd bring that up.

Modern Sonic is only being held back because the Sonic Team is dried up and can't do anything good anymore for the Sonic series, it has been this way after Generations came out and 2017's Sonic Forces was an utter failure, with customers and financially. SEGA was hyping Sonic Forces to be the next best Sonic game but it was rather the opposite.

Now, for the Classic Sonic era, we also got Sonic Mania in 2017 which was an absolute masterpiece and it gave the fans what we were wanting for so many years. A GOOD Sonic game! If I'm being honest, I never really liked the Sonic Adventure games back then either but the downtown stage was pretty awesome and the Sonic stages alone were kinda fun but not as much as they could have been due to the bugs and glitches I encountered.

Anyway, I'm not the one who turned Dragon Ball into Classic vs Modern. :P It just happened.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 am

I'd argue that the Jump special should count as being included in the modern era, as it was the first Dragon Ball animation to be done digitally, and was the first new thing since GT ended at the end of the classic era.
Desassina wrote:Please, do not turn Dragon Ball into Sonic, with the classic and modern division.
Too late.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:38 am

KBABZ wrote:I'd argue that the Jump special should count as being included in the modern era, as it was the first Dragon Ball animation to be done digitally, and was the first new thing since GT ended at the end of the classic era.
Good point. That special featured the original Z score by Kikuchi and the animation looked really good to me. I also have this on DVD since it came bundled with the special edition of DBZ BoG.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:39 am

I mean, the franchise was dormant for a long time. There's certainly a split in eras between things made before and after that long period of slumber. After GT, the series was legitimately done. Everything at that point, and before, would be considered part of the 'original run', and denoting that stuff as such is nothing new in fandom vernacular. Starting roughly around Battle of Gods (though you could be forgiven for including the 2008 Special and Kai), everything is definitely within the 'franchise revival', and denoting that stuff as such is, likewise, nothing new in fandom vernacular.

I suppose "Classic" and "Modern" are apt terms for getting the point across. Certainly better than using "Z" for either, which is a completely useless brand with no distinct identity, having been slapped on things from both disparate eras.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 am

I'd add the Bardock and 2010 Hatchyac ovas to the modern list.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:08 pm

sintzu wrote:I'd add the Bardock and 2010 Hatchyac ovas to the modern list.
Ah, good thinking. I forgot about two specials as well.

Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock
Dragon Ball: The Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans

There was also Dragon Ball Ultimate Blast's CGI cutscenes which looked and sounded awesome but I guess that technically doesn't count since it was part of a video game's story.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Plan to Eradicatevthe Saiyans 2010 was technically a remake so shouldn’t the original go under classic as well

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Plan to Eradicatevthe Saiyans 2010 was technically a remake so shouldn’t the original go under classic as well
True. Can't remember if it was included in the Japanese Dragon Box Z since it's not widely known overall.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Back to the question, Yes, DB is now devided into 2 main parts, classic and modern.

I think what really separates them apart from the production is the writing as modern DB is full of modern type writing which doesn't really line up well with what came before it, especially what's in DB&Z.

With modern DB still ongoing, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the classic era once it's all said and done.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:24 pm

sintzu wrote:Back to the question, Yes, DB is now devided into 2 main parts, classic and modern.

I think what really separates them apart from the production is the writing as modern DB is full of modern type writing which doesn't really line up well with what came before it, especially what's in DB&Z.

With modern DB still ongoing, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the classic era once it's all said and done.
The way DB was written then eventually caught up part way through the "Z" half. The off the cuff writing just made things become sloppy and it was apparent that things struggled to naturally flow anymore for example Toriyama introduced this massively convoluted heart disease sub plot to get Goku out the picture, whereas prior getting Goku out the picture just occurred naturally.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: The way DB was written then eventually caught up part way through the "Z" half. The off the cuff writing just made things become sloppy and it was apparent that things struggled to naturally flow anymore for example Toriyama introduced this massively convoluted heart disease sub plot to get Goku out the picture, whereas prior getting Goku out the picture just occurred naturally.
I don't mean actual plot points but the way characters are written sometimes like the way Vegeta was acting in ep16 and Goku in ep53.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:01 pm

I'd add the 2 Public Safety Video to the Classic list and Keiju Ishikawa, Hiroshi Takaki to the Classic/Modern Soundtrack.
(And I miss a couple of Classic Super Saiyan, like Pseudo, Legendary, Super Saiyan Grade 2-3, Full Power...)

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Sani007 wrote:I'd add the 2 Public Safety Video to the Classic list and Keiju Ishikawa, Hiroshi Takaki to the Classic/Modern Soundtrack.
Done.

TOEI really dropped the ball not hiring Takaki to compose all of Dragon Ball's main soundtrack.
Sani007 wrote:(And I miss a couple of Classic Super Saiyan, like Pseudo, Legendary, Super Saiyan Grade 2-3, Full Power...)
I also thought about the Super Vegeta, False Super Saiyan Son Goku, Legendary Super Saiyan Broli and those type of things but wasn't sure how that'd fit.