How come Dr. Slump the Anime Series wasn't successful anywhere than Japan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How come Dr. Slump the Anime Series wasn't successful anywhere than Japan?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Sometimes some series are a commercial success in some countries but not others, like, Doraemon and Shin-chan these two are extremely popular in Spain and Portugal and to this day each new episode continues to be dubbed and Shin-chan even had a special episode dedicated to Spain but Dr. Slump.. There's barely anything around the world.

Spain - Had a few releases on VHS and even a new DVD with a new dub but it was cancelled due to being a financial failure.
France - A DVD release though that seems to have been cancelled and a Blu-ray release currently ongoing, hopefully they won't tank that.
UK - Nothing
Portugal - Nothing
Italy - Nothing
Brazil - Think the original show was dubbed but don't know much more.
Mexico - The 'New Dr. Slump' series was dubbed as far as I'm aware but don't think it ever got an official DVD release.
United States - The Movies 1-5 and that was it.
Germany - A DVD named 'Vol. 2' with episodes of 'New Dr. Slump'.

Technically speaking, I guess you could say all these countries did dub Dr. Slump when you take into account Dr. Slump in Dragon Ball but yeah. The Dr. Slump franchise really needs some love. :(

Dr. Slump was never given a proper chance.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How come Dr. Slump the Anime Series wasn't successful anywhere than Japan?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:29 pm

TheRed259 wrote:ANT1 in Greece aired almost 60 episodes of Dr. Slump dubbed in Greek.
Lucky. Spain only dubbed about 30-40 tops.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I can't speak for other countries, but here in the U.S. the problem primarily boils down to the fact that no anime distributors were/are willing to actually give the series an honest chance (to date Discotek has been the ONLY U.S. company that has ever been willing to really give it a chance and officially released anything related to the Dr. Slump anime in the 30+ years the anime has been out, that right there should tell you how little faith U.S. anime distributors have in the series, the only other attempt made was the first episode dubbed by Harmony Gold as a potential pilot back in the 80's but that was never officially aired or released so it doesn't really count imo).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

ShinkenRed

Post by ShinkenRed » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:47 pm

I may be wrong but I remember hearing that the first series was very successful in Catalonia, Spain.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Dr Slump's issue is that it came way before the dub era. Of course, it was likely available in the fansub tape era, but that period of anime fandom history seems to be overshadowed and I'm not aware if Dr Slump was popular with that generation. Anyway, Dr Slump didn't really become super popular (at least not to Dragon Ball's magnitude) and nobody picked up the 1997 reboot, so it got overshadowed. Now, it's too old and whacked for anyone in North America to realistically pick it up (unless it was a bunch of guys with a license or whatever backed by GoFundMe or something).
Also, I'm glad Shin-chan was successful in Spain and Portugal. It's dead in the English-speaking world and IMO the FUNimation dub of it is a lost treasure. Too bad it got cancelled.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:11 am

Probably it's related to the fact that Dr. Slump is more episodic in nature, Japanese-centric, filled with blue humor and alcohol and tobacco use while still being aimed at kids, etc., which would have posed serious censorship problems for the likes of Harmony Gold, and also there's the fact that the series is quite dated in both tone and art style. By the time Toriyama became known as a manga artist in Western countries Dr. Slump was already very old and completely different from DBZ which is what we know him from. Could also be down to the plain old fact that anime distributors in Western countries genuinely don't have faith in the property.

I think that's very interesting that Shin-chan had an entire episode dedicated to Spain for the Spanish fanbase.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:37 am

During that time in North America, if an anime wasn't action packed, it wasn't going to get a dub. Dubs during this time took a few more liberties in order to try to make it more palpable for Western kids, and they wouldn't have known what to do with Toriyama's weird sense of humor, especially considering how Japan had very different standards for what constituted as child friendly. I mean, Jesus. Imagine if Z hadn't changed Mr. Satan's name to Hercule; parents would have been in an uproar. It's the same reason most fans got into the Dragon Ball series with Z, and the original Dragon Ball never really caught on. It had the benefit of being full of action, but it was full of lewd content, like when Bulma flashed Master Roshi after Goku removed her panties to look for her balls. That stuff just didn't fly here. lol

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:19 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:it was full of lewd content, like when Bulma flashed Master Roshi after Goku removed her panties to look for her balls. That stuff just didn't fly here. lol
I think the early arcs are guilty of this, especially the very first one, but it mellowed out over time (as long as Master Roshi wasn't around).

Nyoibo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nyoibo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 am

In Italy the manga was published in 28 volumes, and all episodes of the anime were dubbed. Three of the movies were also released.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 am

ShinkenRed wrote:I may be wrong but I remember hearing that the first series was very successful in Catalonia, Spain.
Oh, that's entirely possible but I didn't really consider the Catalonian or Galician sides because Spain normally refers to the Spaniard part, that is, the Castillan. Catalonia and Galicia are more like mini-countries within Spain.
Nyoibo wrote:In Italy the manga was published in 28 volumes, and all episodes of the anime were dubbed. Three of the movies were also released.
Neato! I didn't find any info on Amazon Italy so I take it that was either TV-only or VHS.

Nyoibo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nyoibo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Neato! I didn't find any info on Amazon Italy so I take it that was either TV-only or VHS.
Yep, it has been on TV - on and off on different channels - since at least the late 80s. It is one of the staple series that has frequent reruns alongside Dragon Ball and Doraemon.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Pretty sure it was dubbed for the Hong Kong viewers. I have vivid memories of the late great Anita Mui singing the theme song in Cantonese. You Westerners remember her from Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2 and Rumble in the Bronx.
The world is your's.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Nyoibo wrote:Yep, it has been on TV - on and off on different channels - since at least the late 80s. It is one of the staple series that has frequent reruns alongside Dragon Ball and Doraemon.
A pity it was never given a DVD release.
tinlunlau wrote:Pretty sure it was dubbed for the Hong Kong viewers. I have vivid memories of the late great Anita Mui singing the theme song in Cantonese. You Westerners remember her from Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2 and Rumble in the Bronx.
I'm a Westerner but haven't seen those flicks.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:27 pm

Gag-driven anime in general aren't popular or successful outside Japan since they require a lot of familiarity with the native culture. Dr. Slump only gets by slightly because of Dragon Ball.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Gag-driven anime in general aren't popular or successful outside Japan since they require a lot of familiarity with the native culture. Dr. Slump only gets by slightly because of Dragon Ball.
The Spanish dub cracked me up a lot and was all around excellent but I guess very little people bought it as they cancelled any future releases.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm

tinlunlau wrote:Pretty sure it was dubbed for the Hong Kong viewers. I have vivid memories of the late great Anita Mui singing the theme song in Cantonese. You Westerners remember her from Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2 and Rumble in the Bronx.
OH! That reminds me:

So obviously it was pretty big in Hong Kong, but then again many anime and manga which aren't that big of a deal in the West or even Japan are popular there, one prime example of course being Riki-Oh.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Nyoibo wrote:Yep, it has been on TV - on and off on different channels - since at least the late 80s. It is one of the staple series that has frequent reruns alongside Dragon Ball and Doraemon.
A pity it was never given a DVD release.
I'm a Westerner but haven't seen those flicks.
You must live in a cave, having not seen Drunken Master 2 and Rumble in The Bronx. Those two films alone have been widely shown all over the world.
The world is your's.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:10 pm

He might not be into older stuff. Weird as it sounds to me, hear there are guys out there who have never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. As for the Dr. Slump anime, older anime series tend to not sell very well in the States unfortunately. There are exceptions like Lion Voltron and Robotech, but that tends to come from nostalgia mainly from those who watched them as kids. When ADV did the new Macross dub with Japanese Minmay doing her role in English (which I have a feeling lot of DB fans wish could happen) it didn't sell that well. Heck, once at a Funimation panel I told the guys that I would love them forever if they did Dr. Slump with Laura Bailey or Luci Christian as Arale. Guy said he liked Dr. Slump as well, but with older series not selling well, there was the risk.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 pm

tinlunlau wrote:You must live in a cave, having not seen Drunken Master 2 and Rumble in The Bronx. Those two films alone have been widely shown all over the world.
Most people on this forum (on average) don't really watch anything that isn't strictly children's cartoons/media of some sort. If its not something that was on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or someplace like that, and its not a Hollywood superhero/summer blockbuster tentpole from the last 10/15 years (or something similarly adapted from a familiar cartoon or geek property), then the average poster on this forum likely hasn't seen nor even heard of it, no matter how otherwise mainstream or well known it is. I'm genuinely not being a dick here: that's the honest to god reality on the ground here.

Trust me, I went through this very same exact dance literally COUNTLESS times when I first joined here back in the day (mid through late-2000s):

Me: "What? What do you mean you've never heard of Hard Boiled? Its John Woo's most famous movie!"

Typical Kanz Person: "Who's John Woo?"

Me: "You know: Face/Off, Broken Arrow, Hard Target..."

Typical Kanz Person: "Never heard of them. What channel were they on?"

Me: "Uh... they're movies."

Typical Kanz Person: "You mean like Land Before Time or Spider-Man?"

Me: "Uh... sure? But I mean more like actual action movies, more like Die Hard or Mad Max or Lethal Weapon or Predator."

Typical Kanz Person: "Those sound like movies my parents wouldn't have let me watch."

Me: "But you're how old now?"

Typical Kanz Person: "24."

Me:
" :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: "
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.