When Fights Don't Know Where to End

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: When Fights Don't Know Where to End

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:43 am

Literally all of the fights post the Raditz fight drag on, outside of like 3. It's frustrating as hell.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:05 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Literally all of the fights post the Raditz fight drag on, outside of like 3. It's frustrating as hell.
Which three are you referring to?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Literally all of the fights post the Raditz fight drag on, outside of like 3. It's frustrating as hell.
Which three are you referring to?
When I said that I didn't mean any fights in particular, just some of the shorter ones like Zarbon v Vegeta and shit like that.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:08 pm

The Vegeta fight is one of the best fights in all of DB. In Kai, it's about as picture perfect as any DB fight. I think it was as long as it needed to be.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The "Omega Shenron" Effect

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 pm

KBABZ wrote: Heck even Alpha Shenron would have been better since that's the start! Omega means end!
Exactly. GT was the end, and Omega was the final villain of the entire series for a long long time.

Agreed that the dub Shadow Dragon names are better. I get the point behind it, but "Super One Star Dragon" sounds so bland and lazy of a name for a villain.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I get the point behind it, but "Super One Star Dragon" sounds so bland and lazy of a name for a villain.
It wouldn't be "Super One Star Dragon", it would be "Super Ii Shinron" or "Super Yi Xing Long"(Which is pronounced "Ee Shing Long", for the record).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I get the point behind it, but "Super One Star Dragon" sounds so bland and lazy of a name for a villain.
It wouldn't be "Super One Star Dragon", it would be "Super Ii Shinron" or "Super Yi Xing Long"(Which is pronounced "Ee Shing Long", for the record).
Yi Xing Long would translate to that though.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Yi Xing Long would translate to that though.
Yes, and Kaioken translates to King Kai's Fist, Zeno to All King, and Shen Long/Shenron to Dragon God, but you don't see anyone saying that, do you? :P
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Yeah, fights not knowing when to end have been a problem for a lot of Dragon Ball fights to me.

I think the worst might be Freeza. I liked it early on and the early Super Saiyan parts but it felt way too long otherwise, especially in the anime.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Only fight that felt long for me, was Goku vs Cell in anime, i liked it in manga, but in anime, it really dragged for me, maybe part of reason was constant comments from Z-Warriors and Satan group?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm

coola wrote:Only fight that felt long for me, was Goku vs Cell in anime, i liked it in manga, but in anime, it really dragged for me, maybe part of reason was constant comments from Z-Warriors and Satan group?
Haha, this is my problem with almost every fight in the Tenkaichi Budokais in the older series, particularly the 22nd where the Dragon Ball Gang would argue and fight with Tsuru Sen'nin using hopelessly generic and non-committal dialogue.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:12 pm

KBABZ wrote:
coola wrote:Only fight that felt long for me, was Goku vs Cell in anime, i liked it in manga, but in anime, it really dragged for me, maybe part of reason was constant comments from Z-Warriors and Satan group?
Haha, this is my problem with almost every fight in the Tenkaichi Budokais in the older series, particularly the 22nd where the Dragon Ball Gang would argue and fight with Tsuru Sen'nin using hopelessly generic and non-committal dialogue.
Non-committal dialog?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:41 pm

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Non-committal dialog?
In terms of the characters actually acting out on them. Maybe it's the Funi dub talking, but I got increasingly tired of the constant "don't make me come over there and [act of violence] on you!" from both parties with nothing happening. I get that since it needs to follow the manga that can't happen, but if that's the case why is that terrible dialogue there? It just feels like a constant distraction to pad out a single Chapter to a full Episode.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 pm

In terms of the characters actually acting out on them. Maybe it's the Funi dub talking, but I got increasingly tired of the constant "don't make me come over there and [act of violence] on you!" from both parties with nothing happening. I get that since it needs to follow the manga that can't happen, but if that's the case why is that terrible dialogue there? It just feels like a constant distraction to pad out a single Chapter to a full Episode.
How is that terrible dialog? Besides, they ultimately do act on it when The Crane Hermit tries to hurt Chaozu, Muten Roshi blasts him away from the arena.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 pm

I personally think that the Gotenks vs Super Buu fight drags on slightly in the anime. Its not too long, but I think it could have been a little shorter.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 pm

ABED wrote:
How is that terrible dialog? Besides, they ultimately do act on it when The Crane Hermit tries to hurt Chaozu, Muten Roshi blasts him away from the arena.
True, but it felt incredibly empty as far as threats go, from both parties. It just got so tiring having them fight and bicker with the old guy, not just during matches but out of them, like when he bothers them during their lunch break for no reason. It felt like beating on the same drum over and over again when we got the point much earlier on. The climax during the Goku match was always going to happen, and we didn't need to be reminded of it every half-episode in order to understand it.

Also, can you please include usernames in your quote boxes? It sends a handy Notification so that folks know that you've responded to them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 am

True, but it felt incredibly empty as far as threats go, from both parties. It just got so tiring having them fight and bicker with the old guy, not just during matches but out of them, like when he bothers them during their lunch break for no reason. It felt like beating on the same drum over and over again when we got the point much earlier on. The climax during the Goku match was always going to happen, and we didn't need to be reminded of it every half-episode in order to understand it.
Yes, we know it was going to happen AFTER the fact. But before then, tensions are running high until the empty threats wind up not being empty. I get that you think it drags on, but it feels more honest if they are constantly bickering until it all boils over. If the padding is needed to get those scenes to episode length, I'd rather the cutaways be to people bickering and commenting on the matches than whatever person X is doing somewhere else. I don't think it ruined the pacing at all

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:53 pm

DBS Final Episodes Spoiler Ahead:
[spoiler]I really liked how the jiren battle ended. Yeah, Goku's affliction sounds like its the same schtick they do with fusion -- that kind of "reversal" is becoming predictable -- but the final turnaround with Goku and Frieza teaming up and powering Jiren out of the ring together was great, unexpected, and satisfying. Great way to end that battle and much better (to me) than Goku simply being able to create a spirit bomb and be invulnerable with minimal explanation.[/spoiler]

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

Honestly, the only time a fight has felt like it dragged on to long has been if the fight just wasnt very good. The BDS version of Goku VS Beerus is a good(bad?) example of this. Meanwhile an awesome fight like Goku VS Freeza on Namek never got boring despite being longer than my list of broken dreams.