Do they pay the VAs for their attendance at conventions?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 am

And I am not talking only about the English cast (Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat) but for other VAs as well like the ones from Latin America (Mario Castaneda, Rene Garcia).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Do they pay the VAs for their attendance at conventions?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 am

As far as I know they pay for their flights and hotels, but I don't think they get anything on top of that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:07 am

Different actors have different types of appearance contracts/agreements, and different conventions have different abilities to support/afford these arrangements.

Some guests require lodging and transportation only, while others have an appearance fee on top of that, and any combination thereof in between. Some will make compromises based on the size of the convention and familiarity they may have with its staff.

Furukawa had a stipulation that his wife come along with him when his arm was broken, for example (at least that's what I remember the problem being?); that's a unique scenario, and some conventions are willing to accommodate that. She is also a voice actresses (she did Videl in Kai), so if they're willing to make it work, they will find a way.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was always wondering about stuff like that.
[spoiler]And watching these VAs from Latin America... man, they spend so much time on conventions... I don't know when they find time to dub DragonBall LOL.[/spoiler]

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:52 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Do they pay the VAs for their attendance at conventions?

And I am not talking only about the English cast (Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat) but for other VAs as well like the ones from Latin America (Mario Castaneda, Rene Garcia).
I'm sure funimation and the other companies pay them, they are there representing them and promoting their product after all.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:20 pm

I remember hearing from some friends who used to organise Star Trek conventions in the '80s and '90s that Ricardo Montalbán didn't appear at any; he didn't completely rule it out, but he'd set an appearance fee so high, no convention would book him.

So, guests can set apperance fees.

IIRC, James Doohan didn't charge an appearance fee, but would request free drinks, and then he would drink the bar dry. So, I suppose some guests do effectively sneak fees in one way or the other. :lol:

I think these days, most guests make most of their money at cons from photos, signing stuff, etc., though.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:57 am

I think it depends on the convention. I have been to a hand full and I feel like you can really tell when they are getting paid because at some of the bigger ones you can get free autographs and stuff and depending on what shows they are promoting they will give you free materials to get signed but at smaller cons I think some of the voice actors have to make up their costs on the autographs and stuff. I happen to live in Texas so i'ts really really easy to meet the Funimation voice actors at the local cons the smaller the better as the bigger ones have big attendance and so that means way longer lines.