Does anyone else find the popularity of Vegetto & Gogeta surprising?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Does anyone else find the popularity of Vegetto & Gogeta surprising?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 am

Just find it strange/interesting how two characters that barely appeared can be so popular.

In the Manga Vegetto appeared briefly did his thing and that was it, sure it lasted a couple of episodes in the anime but even then it is only a couple of episodes. In DBS makes a 6 minute cameo and that's it doesn't achieve anything but this only somehow makes his popularity surge even more! Perhaps it is to do with the popularity of SSGSS and Vegetto's already popularity caused a massive spike! Most Vegetto Blue merch is hard to fight for a decent price and there is a tonne of them, that tells you all you need to know.

Gogeta despite having an entire movie revolve around him only appeared briefly in the end and that was it, and then for GT from what I remember he didn't have that much screen time either. But again he seems to be extremely popular, the SS4 form seems to only be popular with Gogeta (which is why regular SS4, Goku/Vegeta, merch is more or less relegated high end aiming at the collectors) and again like Vegetto Blue any SS4 Gogeta merch just seems to get swallowed. So bizarre.

But then there is Gotenks, appears longer than these two yet doesn't have nearly the same popularity. So it can't be the fusion gimmick, perhaps it is just 'cuz it is Goku and Vegeta fusing? At least Gogeta claimed victory against Janemba but Vegetto really hasn't done anything. So I think it maybe because people just like the concept behind them.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does anyone else find the popularity of Vegetto & Gogeta surprising?

Post by Firebolt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 am

Because Gogeta and Vegetto are the result of the two Saiyan rivals of Z, Super and GT – Goku and Vegeta –literally merging to become one warrior.

Vegetto in particular was incredibly popular because he was powerful and badass, Vegeta's cockiness and battle smarts combined with Goku's wittyness and sense of humour made for the perfect candidate for a fan-favourite character. Not to mention he's very, very powerful – something that matters in the eyes of most fans.

Gotenks isn't even nearly as popular due to him being the fused result of two side characters – Goten and Trunks.
Last edited by Firebolt on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:08 am

Not at all lol it’s the combination of the two most popular characters

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Not really. People love Goku and Vegeta, so of course they're gonna love a character that embraces both of their best qualilities (and flaws)
Get Fucked, C_unt

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm

My thoughts here already side with the opinions given; in that it's to be expected when you combine the best and worst from the fan favorite characters. I think the same could be said for Kefla, on a lower scale. Gotenks would probably be taken a lot more seriously if he weren't such a joke character in the literal sense.. He shows potential when it comes to power, and does deliver on humor, but manages to always fall short -- you could say he's become the combination of his fusees' faults at this point in the series.

I also want to point out that it's worth noting characters don't have to have a bunch of victories to boast for them to be popular. You could bring up a few instances of Vegeta falling short when he's had the opportunity to win major battles, but I believe he remains popular because of his character and power. So a measure of a character's popularity probably shouldn't be assumed so much by how much they've accomplished, so much as what likeable qualities they offer for fans.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:00 am

I don't understand the thinking behind important fights having to be related to character popularity. The vast majority of characters have never "accomplished " anything then.

Anyways to answer your question, Goku and Vegeta are both incredibly popular, Vegetto is a combo of their personalities and has overwhelming power and its fun to see him fuck with his opponents and fuck with them mentally

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:20 am

It's always surprised me. I've never gotten the appeal for these characters, and I use the term fairly loosely. Goku and Vegeta merged, in and of itself, is not enough to carry a character, as far as I'm concerned. And as far as Boo Arc combination of characters go, Vegetto just felt like Diet Gotenks to me.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:35 am

Personally it makes sense. In a similar vein as Mewtwo and Arceus from Pokemon, Vegetto and Gogeta were, as far as people actually cared back in the day, the strongest characters ever, by virtue of being the fusion of the two most powerful heroes in the show who also happen to be the principle characters. Ignoring GT and up until 2013, they were the most powerful characters in the franchise.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:37 am

I'd be surprised if they weren't popular. They're the result of the 2 most popular and strongest characters fusing together. How could they not be popular ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:06 am

Vegetto no, Gogeta yes.

Leaving aside anything to do with Goku or Vegeta's individual popularity (which is obviously quite high) Vegetto is just such a fun, cool character. He had one appearance in the original run that was enough to shoot him up to legendary status. It was so satisfying to watch him effortlessly, hilariously take Super Buu apart, especially given how frustrating Buu's run of wins had been up to that point. And while his reappearance in Super didn't hit the same highs, it was cool to see him pitted against an opponent of roughly equal power while retaining the same mixture of efficiency and cockyness.

Gogeta doesn't hold a candle, honestly. He gets points for being literally the only fusion to score a serious win, but the fight against Janemba was almost anticlimactic for all the buildup. And say what you will about Vegetto's reappearance in Super, it was a damn sight better than Gogeta's equivalent. I don't care how much you think you remember loving SSJ4 Gogeta, he came out of nowhere, made no sense and did little more than waste time.

That said, Gogeta's not bad. He's just...not as good as Vegetto. And I don't get why there are some people who prefer him, or wish he'd make a canon appearance. Thanks to the potara retcon, there's no reason not use Vegetto in those instances instead. Of course, both should only be used sparingly or for special occasions. Having Goku and Vegeta fuse every time they're outclassed would dull the impact of seeing them do it. I'm actually pleasantly surprised we didn't see it happen in the Tournament of Power.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:51 am

There power is maximum and they are both you and vegeta at the same time.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:15 am

Hawk9211 wrote:There power is maximum and they are both you* and vegeta at the same time.
For some reason I can't edit it,but I meant goku.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:06 am

Nope. They have unique designs and have a cool arsenal of abilities and techniques, so naturally the pre-adolescent Japanese boys that the franchise is aimed at, and the Western fanbase who more interested in the portion of Dragon Ball that provide flash-in-a-pan style characters, eat up that shit in a heartbeat

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:15 am

A fusion between the two most popular characters being popular isnt surprising at all.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:16 pm

No, I am not surprised.

They're both utilized pretty badly though but I think Gogeta trumps Vegetto.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:24 pm

They have the cool factor. They look cool, they act cool and they're always the strongest character at any given point in time. On top of that, they have rare appearances and usually pop up at the right time.

But I know what you mean, I think broly sucks but everyone loves him. Well mostly figure collectors love him lol

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:59 pm

I've always liked their designs. Especially Vegetto's, combining Goku's outfit with Vegeta's. I suppose Vegetto also represents a sort of culmination of their rivalry, by becoming one.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Not really. It’s pretty easy to see why people like them, even if it’s for superficial reasons. They both have interesting designs, some cool techniques, and some great showings against the villains they’ve fought.