Jackie chan and toriyama interview.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Jackie chan and toriyama interview.

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 am

Stumbling through the internet,I just found a rare interviewwhich strangely enough is not on this site.

So,I always knew that Jackie liked Dragon ball and toriyama took a lot of inspiration from his movies.But,I never knew that they met face to face.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
A poster of his film.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The actual scan.This was published in birds land press.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Headline: “AKIRA TORIYAMA VS JACKIE CHAN”

Speech Bubble content:
Jackie: I took influence from Dr. Slump
when making my movies!!

Toriyama: I used Jackie’s movies as a reference when making Dragon Ball!!
To commemorate the event, Toriyama drew an illustration of Jackie Chan in his signature style. He depicted a scene from Jackie’s movie Armour of God (1986), in which he straps dynamite to his chest.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
From toriyama:
“I met with a man I really admire, Jackie Chan. He turned me into the biggest adoring fan!!Well, perhaps only second to my wife. I mean, he is the world famous Jackie Chan!! It even made me freeze up—I didn’t know what to do.It was the first time I’ve ever been like that!! Apparently, I really get a kick out of meeting people who I’ve seen on TV and in movies.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I know this is really obvious as well, but he really looked like he does on the screen—Twice the surprise!! However, there were some big differences!! In films he’s always doing crazy and funny things, but here it was totally different. If I had to say—He was a bit more serious in real life. Even though he’s one of the biggest stars of the century who’s known the world over, he wasn’t at all conceited.In fact, he seemed like quite a rough but kind person. He was very easy to like.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He even answered my fan-boy questions sincerely—I really appreciated that. He’s also very strict about his work. He even went on to say that he wasn’t happy with his latest film. He said he preferred his film ‘Project A.’ He’s clearly a man who’s disciplined.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He’s like a detailed craftsman—doing everything from music to direction in his films. It made me really appreciate his work.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh yeah, I almost forgot—When my wife and I mentioned films like ‘Project A’ and ‘Police Story’ he replied with, “I really like those two too.” Then we asked how he approaches making his films, to which he replied, “I try to make them without thinking too hard.”—That’s exactly how I try to make my manga!! What a surprise!!”
Image caption
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Jackie talks passionately about kung by while reading through the tankobon.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
“Jackie Chan signed his name in Japanese! Wow!!”
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I dressed as arale chan in my lucky stars.
“Let’s keep taking influence from each other and continue making great things!!”

[image already posted above]

“From now on let’s take inspiration from each other’s work and make great new things!!”

Side Headline (written vertically): “I’ve seen almost all of Jackie’s films!! (Toriyama).”
For better context,go to the link.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Jackie chan and toriyama interview.

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:19 am

That's really great. Two absolute legends.

Y'know, I wouldn't mind another live action Dragon Ball film if it involved Jackie Chan playing Jackie Chun...
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:23 am

This is very cool. Seems like two friendly, lively people. I do have one question, though. In the headline, where it translates to "Akira Toriyama vs. Jackie Chan," I realize that in Japanese culture (like a lot of places), it's proper to have the last name, then first. However, they have Jackie Chan's name as first name then last name. Thus, it actually says "Toriyama Akira vs. Jackie Chan." Do names in Katakana go in the order of first name then last? Or am I just overthinking this entire thing?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:This is very cool. Seems like two friendly, lively people. I do have one question, though. In the headline, where it translates to "Akira Toriyama vs. Jackie Chan," I realize that in Japanese culture (like a lot of places), it's proper to have the last name, then first. However, they have Jackie Chan's name as first name then last name. Thus, it actually says "Toriyama Akira vs. Jackie Chan." Do names in Katakana go in the order of first name then last? Or am I just overthinking this entire thing?
Could be because it's his stage name and that stage name is first of all american influenced.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:49 pm

And it came to full circle after I voluntarily translated all the special features for Jackie Chan's The Myth in 2005. I, a Canadian born of Chinese descent, wouldn't have been able to read Chinese had it not been for Dragon Ball. I met voice actor Ryo Horikawa, thanking him for taking part in the animated series that motivated me to read.
The world is your's.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:05 am

This should get stickied.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:30 am

Clearly, Jackie Chan back then is a huge contrast to what he has become now. He's made some stupid comments recently. The Cantonese speaking public is pretty used to it now. I've even met Jackie a few times in Toronto. For some odd reason, he kept gripping my shoulder during our photo op together.
The world is your's.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:32 am

tinlunlau wrote:Clearly, Jackie Chan back then is a huge contrast to what he has become now. He's made some stupid comments recently. The Cantonese speaking public is pretty used to it now. I've even met Jackie a few times in Toronto. For some odd reason, he kept gripping my shoulder during our photo op together.
Stupid comments as?

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:33 am

This is awesome. Thanks for uploading. :clap: :thumbup:
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 pm

sangofe wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:Clearly, Jackie Chan back then is a huge contrast to what he has become now. He's made some stupid comments recently. The Cantonese speaking public is pretty used to it now. I've even met Jackie a few times in Toronto. For some odd reason, he kept gripping my shoulder during our photo op together.
Stupid comments as?

I can write you a whole list but what's the point?
The world is your's.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:10 am

Jackie Chan and Toriyama meet in person that's really great. Thanks for sharing this interesting interview.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:20 am

tinlunlau wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Stupid comments as?

I was interested. Is there a point in being interested?

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:04 am

sangofe wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Stupid comments as?

Well, there's been a lot of stupid remarks coming from Jackie Chan over the years. I noticed he's always been playing it smart when he was managed by Willie Chan who sadly passed away recently. The latest quote he's made is that big epic movies should be made rather than small budget "local" films. Fact is, Hong Kongers are sick of the Hong Kong/China co-productions because it limits filmmakers from some of the genres that's made Hong Kong films a lot of fun to watch in the first place. Ever noticed how very few keungsi films are made in the last two decades? You can thank China (or SARFT) on their no supernatural ruling on films.
The world is your's.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri May 18, 2018 2:22 am

Apparently, Jackie Chan recently did a commercial for a new Dragon Quest game for iOS and Android. Not Dragon Ball related per second but still Toriyama related.

https://youtu.be/vkvfdfVpI-k
The world is your's.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 am

tinlunlau wrote:
sangofe wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:

Well, there's been a lot of stupid remarks coming from Jackie Chan over the years. I noticed he's always been playing it smart when he was managed by Willie Chan who sadly passed away recently. The latest quote he's made is that big epic movies should be made rather than small budget "local" films. Fact is, Hong Kongers are sick of the Hong Kong/China co-productions because it limits filmmakers from some of the genres that's made Hong Kong films a lot of fun to watch in the first place. Ever noticed how very few keungsi films are made in the last two decades? You can thank China (or SARFT) on their no supernatural ruling on films.
His support for the CCP dictatorship and anti-Taiwan comments are also pretty upsetting.

I was always more of a Bruce Lee guy anyway.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue May 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Interesting seeing this.
I could always tell there was a lot of love for Jackie Chan's style and character in Dragon Ball (gee, I wonder what tipped me off), but knowing the two actually met tickles some inner fangirl part of me.

Yes, his support of the CCP is disconcerting but since I don't want to have my dick filled with needles by my future Communist Party overlords, I won't comment.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:
sangofe wrote:
His support for the CCP dictatorship and anti-Taiwan comments are also pretty upsetting.

I was always more of a Bruce Lee guy anyway.
He's hit the headlines much recently again by making another stupid quote. Saying there's no prospect in Hong Kong movies. He's pretty much turned his back on the place that pioneered his career. That's one of the reasons why Hong Kongers can't stand him anymore. He's a sellout! Then there's that Etta Ng thing.
The world is your's.