How do you think the first two arcs of Super would have been received without the movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YajirobiTheGreat
Not-So-Newbie

How do you think the first two arcs of Super would have been received without the movies?

Post by YajirobiTheGreat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 pm

Hypothetically, if BoG and RoF never came out as movies, but Super still launched in 2015 with the same exact same episodes, do you think the Frieza and Beerus Arcs would have been better received?

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How do you think the first two arcs of Super would have been received without the movies?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I probably wouldn't dislike Super as much as I do if they hadn't included BoG and RF as arcs of the show. This show is just so flawed and doesn't help Sumitomo's its composer, 'course, it's my opinion yada yada.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: How do you think the first two arcs of Super would have been received without the movies?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 pm

YajirobiTheGreat wrote:Hypothetically, if BoG and RoF never came out as movies, but Super still launched in 2015 with the same exact same episodes, do you think the Frieza and Beerus Arcs would have been better received?
BoG arc wasn't that negatively received out the two so I think that would have been received fairly well if the movie didn't exist (bar #5). The ResF film was mixed reception and the retelling was more on the negative scale so I think that wouldn't have been received much better if the film didn't exist the poor animation along with the narrative would have sent people over the edge.

I still like the BoG arc a lot (only count #19 onwards as ResF arc as that's how Daisuki split them).

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Well, I don't think either arc was good in both movie format or anime show format but... a lot of people seemed to love those movies so perhaps I'd be in the minority.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:13 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Well, I don't think either arc was good in both movie format or anime show format but... a lot of people seemed to love those movies so perhaps I'd be in the minority.
Both movies were rather underwhelming in my opinion but I'm hopeful the 20th Dragon Ball Movie will be far better than these two were.

Super Saiyan God became irrelevant once Super Saiyan Blue was a thing and Golden Freeza is such a bad looking form, Christ, it kind of looks like a sex toy.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:Well, I don't think either arc was good in both movie format or anime show format but... a lot of people seemed to love those movies so perhaps I'd be in the minority.
Both movies were rather underwhelming in my opinion but I'm hopeful the 20th Dragon Ball Movie will be far better than these two were.

Super Saiyan God became irrelevant once Super Saiyan Blue was a thing and Golden Freeza is such a bad looking form, Christ, it kind of looks like a sex toy.
I'm looking forward to the new movie but might be my last foray into modern DB if the writing quality doesn't improve in whatever sequel series that comes out.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:59 pm

If the movies didn't happen then those arcs would've been written and produced very differently as they'd be made for TV from the ground up. The only reason they turned out this was was because they were adapted from movies, if the movies didn't exist they'd have no way of making them the way they did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:10 am

GamerSkull wrote:I'm looking forward to the new movie but might be my last foray into modern DB if the writing quality doesn't improve in whatever sequel series that comes out.
The new movie has a Classic Dragon Ball-feel to it so I'm hoping it won't disappoint. At least Dragon Ball Super is now officially over so things should start to get better for the Dragon Ball franchise.

And Freeza is a good guy? Wtf!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:39 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:And Freeza is a good guy? Wtf!
WTF indeed, where'd you get that from ?

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:43 am

sintzu wrote:
Dragon Ball Super.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:32 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Dragon Ball Super.
Where ? Everything he's done and said since the arc started has shown he's just as bad as before.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:27 pm

If it started with episode 28 as the original starting point, then I think it would have been better received in the begining. Then episode 30 would have been an actual nice refresher to what happened in the previouse movies. Instead ofa boring retread of what came before.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:22 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:If it started with episode 28 as the original starting point, then I think it would have been better received in the begining.
I think things may have been worse as the quality of things such as episode 5 and Goku's fight with Freeza in RF would've ended up in the new material. If the movie retellings helped the production team give us things such as Goku's fight with Hit and Black's introduction then they were worth it.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:48 pm

sintzu wrote:Where ? Everything he's done and said since the arc started has shown he's just as bad as before.
This makes makes me doubt you even watched Super or else you'd have seen they made Freeza into a good-hearted character.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:Where ? Everything he's done and said since the arc started has shown he's just as bad as before.
This makes makes me doubt you even watched Super or else you'd have seen they made Freeza into a good-hearted character.
He was flat out torturing his enemies during the tournament and had IIRC Universe 2 revolting at how cruel he was. He’s “good-hearted” the same way that vegeta was “good-hearted” in the Namek arc

Anyways, hard to tell, reception probably would’ve been the same, only difference is that people wouldn’t have a movie to compare it to. (In terms of Saying that it’s either worse or better than the movie counterparts)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 am

Hard to tell. It would be more "fresh" because people wouldn't have to watch the same thing twice.

But on the other hand some people might abandon DBS quickly, especially in RoF arc considering how bad RoF overall is (movie and anime) and how ugly animation was there. People knew that two first arcs were only a retellings so they waited until RoF ends. But if they didn't know that, they might have stopped watching DBS.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:33 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Um, did YOU watch Super? Tell me what about it made you think Freeza was kind hearted? Was it the part where he tortured his victims in the TOP? Or maybe it was when he said he would make up with Goku “over his dead body”? Or when he flat out said he wasn’t going to change his evil was when Whis ressurected him??

Yeah you’re right, he’s a real teddy bear. :lol:
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:25 am

SuperCyan2 wrote: This makes makes me doubt you even watched Super or else you'd have seen they made Freeza into a good-hearted character.
LOL. You have a pretty horrible concept of good and evil if you think Frieza became "good hearted" in the end. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He flat out said "you know I not going to stop my evil ways, right?" when he was resurrected. Come on man, this show is targeted at a young audience, I hope for you that this is a troll, otherwise I would be worried if you didn't managed to understand something so simple that can easily be comprehended by KIDS.
Get Fucked, C_unt

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:32 pm

I just hope that whenever a sequel series begins, they don't redo the new movie in December with poor animation.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Super would never get by without the movies. Those arcs sucked dragonballs.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.