Do you think 2018 will be a great year for Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you think 2018 will be a great year for Dragon Ball?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Okay, let's start off with the upcoming movie. First thing you'll notice is the art style actually looks... good. The colors are more subdued and the character designs are way more appealing to the eyes. No doubt the animation will be better than Super partly due to it being a movie.... I hope the writing is leagues above it as well.

Another thing to take of is FUNimation is now collaborating with Sony Pictures so we can expect a major theatrical release for the movie as opposed to the limited ones we got for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, though those did exceptionally well in their own rights. Just imagine a full-fledged showing for everyone to see... it could be as hype as any Disney movie (or a Miyazaki film for Japan).

Lastly, we have FighterZ which is the first legit "competitive" Dragon Ball fighting game. Not only is it the best fighter in the series by default, but it's presentation also exceeds any DBZ game before it. It's extremely accurate to the series even to the tiniest details with nearly all the attacks being directly based on something from the anime/manga so even lesser characters like Yamcha, Nappa, and Captain Ginyu get to shine. Recently, both Chi-Chi and Videl were even announced as commentators... while I didn't think ArcSystem would make them playable, I'm surprised they acknowledged Chi-Chi and as a character no less instead of just a punchline this time.

Certainly sign things will change for the better...

So what do you think? Is this looking to be an especially great year for Dragon Ball?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Do you think 2018 will be a great year for Dragon Ball?

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

There's that Dragon Ball Legends Game that recently revealed a longer trailer and people were pretty impressed with that as well. Trailer looks real nice. Not quite FighterZ level, but impressive nevertheless.

There's also the manga to consider and I think Toriyama said that the manga will handle things a little differently? Can't remember if that part was mistranslated, and it simply meant if will adapt the movie too, but either way, it's still something to keep in mind.

Year is looking great so far, despite the series ending.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:01 pm

It's already a great year and will just get better as we get closer to its end.

Super's last 10 episodes aired and were among if not the show's best.

FighterZ which released this year is the most successful game to date.

Funimation are currently dubbing Super and it's getting more successful as time goes on.

Super has a new movie on the way which is shaping up to be the most financially successful one.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Someone tell Funimation that 2018 will be perfect if they localized the Dragon Box and re-issued Dragon Box Z.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:29 pm

It will be less good than 2017.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm

The weekly Dragon Ball TV series, which has been broadcasting since 2014, is ended. Until 14th December there will be nothing interesting. So 2018 is a bad year for Dragon Ball.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:29 am

It will be perfect if the Japanese audio of the old series is remastered so you can actually hear a clean recording and if Canadian networks pick up Super.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:36 am

I could honestly care less about the movie, but FighterZ has made this one of my favorite Dragon Ball experiences in years. I can't stop playing this, now I just Xenoverse 3.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:58 pm

Sani007 wrote:The weekly Dragon Ball TV series, which has been broadcasting since 2014, is ended. Until 14th December there will be nothing interesting. So 2018 is a bad year for Dragon Ball.
This.

I came in wondering what was so great about this entire year.

Super ended and the movie won't be out for several months. Fighterz had a great launch. It's been getting some solid support from the FGC. We'll have to see how well it does after Evo. The good thing is that there's not much competition as it's the newest fighting game with everything else released in 2017. The manga is still just the manga. I bearly see any topics about it here.

The rest of the year will be okay. Just okay.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:
Sani007 wrote:The weekly Dragon Ball TV series, which has been broadcasting since 2014, is ended. Until 14th December there will be nothing interesting. So 2018 is a bad year for Dragon Ball.
This.

I came in wondering what was so great about this entire year.

Super ended and the movie won't be out for several months. Fighterz had a great launch. It's been getting some solid support from the FGC. We'll have to see how well it does after Evo. The good thing is that there's not much competition as it's the newest fighting game with everything else released in 2017. The manga is still just the manga. I bearly see any topics about it here.

The rest of the year will be okay. Just okay.
Super ending is what's good about the year.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 pm

Doctor. wrote:Super ending is what's good about the year.
Except its not really over :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Super ending is what's good about the year.
Except its not really over :P
An extended hiatus is still enough to prevent me from ending it all.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:05 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:So what do you think? Is this looking to be an especially great year for Dragon Ball?
So far so good. We got Dragon Ball FighterZ, which brought an awesome and original character. The game expanded a little bit what was previously added by Akira Toriyama, with that Android 16 being Maki Gero's son and such, and tidbits like that is always cool. Android 21 herself is a fine character too.

Then, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 comes in with Fu's finally appearance. Not only it took him from Dragon Ball Online, they gave him an awesome personality and he is an extremely incredible addition to the franchise.

And then there's Dragon Ball Heroes, which has just updated to Universe Mission and it promises to be yet another set of missions full of excellent content to this franchise. Oh, and it will give Fu more time "on-screen" and for us to appreciate him more.

There is also an upcoming movie but I can't really say anything since we don't know much about it. But as far as we have learned about it, it seems to be about Goku again, and if it turns out to be another Goku movie without adding anything interesting, then the movie won't contribute for a great 2018 for Dragon Ball. But then again, we have the video-games now bringing new content. So it's not like we need the main series anymore.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Dragonball FighterZ, ToP manga, the english dub of the Black arc, and we are getting the Yamcha manga in english later this year, so far so good.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:50 am

Doctor. wrote: Super ending is what's good about the year.
I don't care about video games so I don't even know their names.
Did you watch a series that you didn't like and you're happy to be over? What's the point?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:11 am

2018 is already the best year Dragon Ball has ever seen with the quality of merchandise and we've only just hit April! While DBS is the primary focus the other 3 series are still seeing some quality stuff though all GT stuff is branded under DBS because it probably won't sell otherwise. With the new movie coming out at the end of the year one can only hope the quality manages to sustain itself and hopefully beyond 2018 too.

2018 also promises to have good promo art again.

2018 also saw the amazing climax of the ToP, U7vsU11 from January and gave us the best ever animated episode DB has ever seen, #130!

FUNi continue their great dub into the Future Trunks arc and then beyond.

2018 will also see hopefully a global release of a new movie with long over due hauling in the techinal/animation department.

Yup 2018 is already I'm my opinion the best year of DB and looks to get even better! :)

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:56 am

The quality of stuff has generally been pretty high so far, but it doesn't seem like we'll be getting much actually new content besides the movie.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:48 am

It already is.

We got a good finale for Super, and we are getting a new movie with very good pre-production, written by Toriyama, with new amazing designs and possibly a global release too!

On the videogames side, we have already gotten FighterZ which has been very popular especially in the hardcore fighting game community, and it will be the game with most participants in EVO 2018. Xenoverse 2 has received a new update, and new DLC characters including Jiren and Ultra Instinct Goku.
In summer a new mobile game, Dragon Ball Legends, will be released and it's looking like a very interesting game.

As the anime Super is over, we still have Toyotaro's monthly manga to look forward to, and we should get some news for the movie too in V-Jump. This is a good year for Toei, Shueisha, Bandai and everyone involved with Dragon Ball to work hard behind the scenes to ensure Dragon Ball products can be as good as possible, and that they can be so for many years. For me, it feels like a resurgence of Dragon Ball once again, after the messy Super, and they are taking the franchise seriously as it seems that they finally understood how big Dragon Ball is worldwide.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:09 am

I hope Toei doesn't read this forum because they will believe that this is great for us . :D
(Stopped TV series, mediocre monthly promotional manga, 1 year waiting for a movie)

Of course if the movie is the beginning of something new, it will be great. (I'm very excited about the new animation staff.) But it won't be in 2018.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:29 am

Let's see...Super's fauxnale, a new movie, Hungary and Romania getting DB again and Fighter Z.

Yeah, so far this year is going great for Dragon Ball. I hope it doesn't go downhill.