Re-watching the entire anime, do you get bored?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Re: Re-watching the entire anime, do you get bored?

Post by Logania » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:01 pm

I can't watch the entire show really anymore, for all of the DB series.

My way of watching the series now consists of seeing a cool Dragon Ball moment on YouTube, seeing another cool moment on the side-bar, and then spiraling down an endless loop of 3-5 minute videos lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:58 am

I think it really depends on whether you are watching it by yourself or not. I am not that motivated to watch it on my own but if I can see it with friends or family then I can find the time and energy.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 am

Blondiebear_17 wrote:I think it really depends on whether you are watching it by yourself or not. I am not that motivated to watch it on my own but if I can see it with friends or family then I can find the time and energy.
See, this applies to me as well. I have way more fun sitting and watching it with people who have never seen it
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:41 pm

I've been re-watching the original series (not Kai) from the start in full for the first time in years. I'm seeing it at 1.2X speed and have just got passed the Trunks/Goten match in the Boo arc. It's been a lot of fun... so far. I know that some hijinks will be incoming soon.

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:23 am

Sometimes, but that mostly stems from me prefering the manga format. The DB anime isn't a bad adaptation, but it doesn't capture the intensity of the manga, especially not later on with the Z anime, Toei straight up butchers the original pacing which destroys my immersion with the anime. With the manga on the other hand, I get to really digest in Toriyama's incredible fighting choreography which I occasioanlly feel a bit lost every now and then with the anime adaptation, especially when filler moments keep breaking up the action. That's why I like to do a manga-cut, so I watch the fan-edited DB Recut which cuts about 70 episodes of filler, then I watch Kai which cuts about 130 episodes of filler.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:49 am

I'm actually switching over to the manga because even in Dragon Ball it's much faster paced. Of course it helps you can control how fast you read the manga, you can't really control how you pace out the episodes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:17 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I'm actually switching over to the manga because even in Dragon Ball it's much faster paced. Of course it helps you can control how fast you read the manga, you can't really control how you pace out the episodes
Why is that a good thing? You're not supposed to just plow through stories
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:18 am

ABED wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I'm actually switching over to the manga because even in Dragon Ball it's much faster paced. Of course it helps you can control how fast you read the manga, you can't really control how you pace out the episodes
Why is that a good thing? You're not supposed to just plow through stories

Who said I was plowing through?

There's a medium between just plowing through and taking over 9000 years just to finish a series :roll:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:21 am

You're exaggerating. It doesn't take very long to get through DBZ. Besides, there's also Kai which helps the pacing and by and large lets moments breathe. I like the manga, but it often lacks the build and tension. Case in point, Goku turning SSJ for the first time. That atmosphere and build are lacking in the manga.

There's also the lack of music and performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 am

ABED wrote:You're exaggerating. It doesn't take that long to get through DBZ.

No I was obviously being literal.

What is hyperbole?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:You're exaggerating. It doesn't take that long to get through DBZ.

No I was obviously being literal.

What is hyperbole?
I changed the sentence so it was clearer. By "that" I didn't mean "It doesn't take 9000 years". Of course you statement was hyperbole. I meant that it doesn't take very long to get through it.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I still can't stand reading manga. I can never get used to reading from the wrong way, I just can't.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Puaru wrote:
I still can't stand reading manga. I can never get used to reading from the wrong way, I just can't.
Do you mean right to left? Because that’s not really “the wrong way”

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Puaru wrote:
Do you mean right to left? Because that’s not really “the wrong way”
I assume he means "the wrong way" as in he lives in an area where books go from left to right. And doing that backwards is hard to get used to.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Forte224 wrote:I assume he means "the wrong way" as in he lives in an area where books go from left to right. And doing that backwards is hard to get used to.
It is at first but it's easy to get the hang of. The real difficulty is when you go back to western comics where it's left to right again!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:50 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:I assume he means "the wrong way" as in he lives in an area where books go from left to right. And doing that backwards is hard to get used to.
It is at first but it's easy to get the hang of. The real difficulty is when you go back to western comics where it's left to right again!
Oh yeah I've been used to it for years now. But I was just speaking for Puara. I actually really like the right to left reading.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Depends on the time and the energy that I have.
Kunzait_83 wrote:I'll agree with you on Nakao for sure: the dude remains a powerhouse to this day. At the end of the day, I don't really want to harp on the Japanese cast too much since 1) as noted, most of them are getting up there in years, 2) even at their worst, they still act rings around most of their English counterparts, and 3) ultimately its a case by case issue.

On the one hand you have people like Nozawa and Nakao who seem to be superhumanly bulletproof no matter the circumstances, on the other you have people like Horikawa and Tsuru, who NORMALLY in even recent video games and in Super have still been doing solid work but for whatever reason were just... not on their A game at various points in Kai (but again, still relatively fantastic actors even at their worst), then you have folks like Yanami who's deterioration is 1000% understandable and excusable, and then lastly folks like Wakamoto, who in some instances just plain seem to not be giving a fuck.

Again, ultimately its among the least of Kai's sins, since even when not at peak capacity, the Japanese cast are all seasoned, class-act professionals, who still bring tons of natural charisma and gravitas to these roles, even when they're not performing to the very best of their abilities.
Might have something to do with the fact that he was basically saying the same lines he said a decade ago, so he probably thought: "Why even bother with this?".
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
PacificOceanDub wrote:I’d say the only times I got bored were during the Pirate Cave crap
I remember going through that for T1C and being genuinely shocked that they literally just flipped the first gantry running sequence to have Goku go the other way. Stupid pirate robot...
... I love the pirate cave stuff... >_>
Same here man, Same here. That arc was THE most solid oldest memory I have of Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:38 pm

As noted a few weeks ago, I've been doing a big re-watch of the entire series. I've now just started the Pure Boo fight nearing the end of Z before I *gulp* go on to do my first re-watch of Super (really wasn't planning on re-visiting the series anytime soon :| ).

So, I ran into some bumps, and found myself losing interest. Episodes #247-#265ish remain the low point of DB to me, with some nice moments scattered here and there. It then picks up a bit with Gohan entering the scene and then Goku and Vegeta being brought back onto the battlefield. Then, episodes #269-#277 mostly took me out of it again. (Episode #240 was the first mention of Fusion, so maybe it started to get me there :lol: ). It feels like thirty episodes of... I don't really know. Although, Boo laughter (original audio) is the best kind of laughter. Kōzō Shioya doesn't get enough credit for his overall performance as the various Boo's.

To more positive things: the Goku VS Majin Vegeta fight is even better than I remember it, and it should be on any list of "best moments" in the franchise. It's crazy that a fight of that magnitude (along with the accompanying dialog), with all of the previous build-up to it, was essentially the b-plot!

So yeah, Super cringe-fest coming soon (but, at least the kids and millions of others like it a lot :) ).

And that's my little story, as real-world atrocities endlessly happen all around me...

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:22 pm

I don't think I could be bothered to watch the whole series, at this point I've only seen DragonBall and some of GT. Could never really get around to watching all of Z it's a bit too long for my tastes. Don't get me wrong I'll happily read all 42 volumes of the manga whenever I get the chance, but the difference there is I can do it at my own pace. Although saying that I do still like watching the odd episode just to see how some parts were animated, apart from that though I could live without it.