Re-watching the entire anime, do you get bored?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puaru
Banned

Re: Re-watching the entire anime, do you get bored?

Post by Puaru » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I could never see myself watching the original DBZ back to back anymore, I don't have time for it. Fortunately, that's what Kai's for. I just wish that had started from the beginning instead of from Z; the Dragon Ball anime wasn't as bad for filler, but there were definitely spots that could have used a trim. Plus, it would have been nice to have gotten a better dub.
Oh God yes, this is my dream. The DB manga is one of the most entertaining stories ever written, and Kai is almost a direct audio-visual adaption of that story. But it sucks that we don't have the same kind of direct adpation for the first part of that story, instead having to be content with the version that drag things out with pointless filler.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Lightdasher wrote:I just skip to my favorite parts for now. In the future, I would like to re-watch the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT, but it takes time that I don't have at the moment. I know I'll be able to do it if I just pace it out far, but that'll end up taking quiiiiite a while. There's also me thinking that I should re-watch all three shows (Super not included) in the original Japanese, but I'm still wondering on that because that'll take even more time. I also wonder how much attention it'll require, because it tends to be tougher for me to pay attention to subs in addition to what's occurring, but I already know what's going to happen in most of the shows. Oh!
Since you've said you would like to re-watch Dragon Ball and GT sometime, I suggest killing two birds with one stone by doing what you said you're thinking of doing by going with the Japanese option, and watching through the original DB+Z+GT run(Don't forget the TV specials, too! :) ). It's a very cool experience, since it's 11 years of continuous, weekly, Japanese TV you'd be watching, and IMO that is the best way to experience Dragon Ball.

I've never understood the issue a lot of people raise that it'd take a lot of time, though -- whether you watch it fast or slow, it's going to take you a while, so just take your time, and watch it at your own pace. If you don't have a lot of time to watch it, that's fine, it was originally designed to be watched weekly over 11 years, so it's not like you're obliged to binge it all in a few weeks; you can just watch an episode here or there, and you get to enjoy it over a long period without it taking much of your time at all, since each episode is only 20 minutes. But, if you do have a lot of time, then you don't have to worry about reaching the end too quickly if you binge watch really fast, since there's so much of it to see, so you can just binge it as fast as you like.
IMO, this makes it a great run to watch, since you can just pick it up, watch a ton in one go, take it easy for a few weeks, binge some parts, slow down during some places where you don't have much time, whatever, and not worry about spending too much or too little time on it. It's going to take a long time however you watch it, so you're better off thinking about how many 20-minute episodes you can fit in a given timeframe, and just worry about that.
Lightdasher wrote:This last one is probably silly, but I also want to watch the Ocean Dub for every scene that has Goten. :lol:
You could just jump in from the Great Saiyaman arc if Goten is who you're interested in hearing. I am curious as to why you're so curious about Goten specifically, though.
KBABZ wrote:I found the stuff with the pirate robot specifically to be a drag.
Eh, I can see why. Still, I thought it was fine. To each their own, I suppose.
Puaru wrote:I just wish [Kai] had started from the beginning instead of from Z[/b]; the Dragon Ball anime wasn't as bad for filler, but there were definitely spots that could have used a trim. Plus, it would have been nice to have gotten a better dub.
For me, the fact it would finally have an actually good dub would be the main attraction there. And seriously, Kai doing the entire run would be a massive boon in so many ways. Toei choosing to skip to Z was a massive mistake IMO. Between that and the Boo Kai fiasco, Kai really was a mess of a production.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Between that and the Boo Kai fiasco, Kai really was a mess of a production.
Not to mention that OTHER Kai related fiasco... you know the, err, "borrowing" of music. :/

To this day I'm so sad over that whole situation because I LOVED the original Kai soundtrack, and the fact that there are just TWO episodes that never managed to be released with it is such a tease. X(

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:You could just jump in from the Great Saiyaman arc if Goten is who you're interested in hearing. I am curious as to why you're so curious about Goten specifically, though.
Goten is my favorite character. Out of everything Dragon Ball, I'm more interested in him than anything. I saw some of his Oceam scenes for the first time some days ago on YouTube, so now I'm curious because I like the voice.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I found the stuff with the pirate robot specifically to be a drag.
Eh, I can see why. Still, I thought it was fine. To each their own, I suppose.
To be clear the Red Ribbon Arc is my all-time favourite arc because it's peak Kid Goku Exploring The World, and my edited Pirate Cave episodes are among my all-time favourites. Plus when I was a kid me and my sis came back after skipping the Muscle Tower stuff right into them switching the lights on, so they're a particularly fond memory for me.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Puaru wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Between that and the Boo Kai fiasco, Kai really was a mess of a production.
Not to mention that OTHER Kai related fiasco... you know the, err, "borrowing" of music. :/

To this day I'm so sad over that whole situation because I LOVED the original Kai soundtrack, and the fact that there are just TWO episodes that never managed to be released with it is such a tease. X(
I agree, mostly.
To be honest, I was always in the middle for the Kai soundtrack. I thought it was very well done, and I can certainly understand why people loved it so much, but I always ended up unfavourably comparing it to the Tokunaga score, since they had somewhat similar styles. :lol:
I'm sure I would have grown to love Yamamoto's score eventually, but after the plagiarism came up, I just can't bring myself to listen to it anymore. I do wish the Yamamoto controversy had come out much sooner, then perhaps we could have got a proper soundtrack for Kai that would have stuck. I don't think Tokunaga would have said no to coming back in 2009(Or I suppose 2007/2008, since they likely began pre-production much earlier), and failing that, I'm sure there are many other composers who could have stepped up to the plate and done an oustanding job.

It is such a shame that the production of Kai was such a mess, though. If they'd started with DB, got music that wasn't plagiarised, and included the Boo arc, Kai would pretty much be Dragon Ball: Brotherhood.
(Admittedly, I haven't seen either version of FMA, but from what I understand, Brotherhood follows the manga more closely, but many prefer the original for the different direction it went in, though despite the fact both versions have their fans, Brotherhood is generally the go-to)
Lightdasher wrote:Goten is my favorite character. Out of everything Dragon Ball, I'm more interested in him than anything. I saw some of his Oceam scenes for the first time some days ago on YouTube, so now I'm curious because I like the voice.
Ah, very interesting. :)
Yes, I'm quite a fan of the Ocean Goten voice. Jillian Michaels, if I recall correctly. She initially took over the voice of Gohan for the last 30 or 40 episodes of the Cell saga after Saffron Henderson moved to LA, and honestly I was never a fan of Michaels' Gohan, but as Goten, I always thought she was awesome. Honestly, I think the Boo arc casting in the Ocean dub was pretty spot-on in general(Brad Swaile's Gohan, in particular, I thought was amazing), and the music increased in quality by quite a lot(Tons of new tracks, some original, some from the addition of Monster Rancher's soundtrack to their music library), alleviating most of the issues the soundtrack had in the Cell arc, so I would recommend giving that a look sometime. :D
KBABZ wrote:To be clear the Red Ribbon Arc is my all-time favourite arc because it's peak Kid Goku Exploring The World, and my edited Pirate Cave episodes are among my all-time favourites. Plus when I was a kid me and my sis came back after skipping the Muscle Tower stuff right into them switching the lights on, so they're a particularly fond memory for me.
Ah, I see. :)
Red Ribbon is quite a highlight, and I also have a lot of fond memories of watching it. Pirate Cave was one I was watching during a rather pleasant time, I seem to recall; I believe it was not long after my family recovered from a bad flu or something that went around.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Yes, especially if I am re-watching episodes that didn't have any big events or mainly composed of filler. Kai makes it a lot more enjoyable, but there are still moments that go at a slow pace such as before the Cell Games where you wished it would just speed up and you also have no Kai for Dragon Ball.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:26 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:and you also have no Kai for Dragon Ball.
*cough*DragonBallRecut*cough*

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:51 am

Well, I trudged my way through Vegeta vs Cell and Trunks vs Cell, and I immediately got invested again, particularly in episode 166. The brief fight between Goku and Gohan in the RoSaT was absolutely thrilling, and Goku deciding to stop training for the day just so Gohan would be comfortable stopping too was such a nice moment. I do this every time I re-watch: We all know the big, big scenes, but sometimes we (or maybe just me, I dunno) forget about the smaller moments throughout. Even Roshi going through flashbacks of the old tournaments was entertaining. It didn't hurt that the music they used for the flashback was very good.

FFJamie94

Post by FFJamie94 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 pm

I too am going through the whole series (DB,Z,GT,S and DBZ Movies included).
I found DB to be an absolute blast to watch, it got tiresome towards the end (but I was putting that down to watching 153 episodes in the span of just a few months) but I enjoyed it never the less.
DBZ however, I'm up to the Namek stuff and it's a slow burn. I'm keeping interested but damn is it slow. Hopefully it'll pick up once Ginyu comes along as I remember liking that part the most in the Manga. But yeah, I kind of look forward to GT and Super for when they have shorter Sagas (I know the last Saga of Super is like 50 episodes or so... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:16 pm

FFJamie94 wrote:But yeah, I kind of look forward to GT and Super for when they have shorter Sagas (I know the last Saga of Super is like 50 episodes or so... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it).
GT's pacing is pretty quick, but Super's goes back to a Z type of pacing. Sometimes slower.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Even if something is shorter it can feel like more of a slogfest than a longer arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote:It is such a shame that the production of Kai was such a mess, though. If they'd started with DB, got music that wasn't plagiarised, and included the Boo arc, Kai would pretty much be Dragon Ball: Brotherhood.
Started with DB, go up through the Boo arc, but also: either just use Kikuchi or something that's relatively close in spirit to it, don't censor it, make sure to get the best out of the Japanese cast, and either leave the original footage alone and just re-edit it to follow the manga, or else otherwise just bite the fucking bullet and straight up re-animate the whole damn thing over from scratch.

Kai's problems are almost too numerous to calculate. The whole thing was a confused and clusterfucked mess from the word go, when it honestly should've simply just been "Dragon Ball: The Manga Cut". I.E. a re-edit or re-animating of the original series that sticks solely to the manga material and edits out all filler. Almost no one ever talks about this (which is baffling in the extreme to me, because its SUCH a deal-killing issue), but Kai oftentimes would not only leave some bits of filler, it'd even sometimes cut out material from the manga. The editing itself was just AWFUL from start to finish, with almost zero rhyme, reason, or thought put into it and absolutely zero regard for dramatic pacing or content: just sloppily hack shit out willy nilly to trim down the episode count.

Then there's the badly redrawn random scenes, the Saban-like censorship (and no, I'm not talking about the Nicktoons shit: I mean even in the actual "raw" Japanese eps), the inexplicable green filter over the Boo arc eps, the depressingly (and very uncharacteristically) phoned-in performances from much of the Japanese cast, and IMO at least, the fact that Yamamoto's score REALLY wasn't all that great at all (and the use of Kikuchi later on was VERY slapdash and shoddily implemented). Just about ZERO fucks were given on all fronts.

For all these reasons (and plenty more), I'm forever dumbfounded as to how anyone can prefer Kai over Z. Yes, Z has some shitty bits of filler: but they're EASILY skippable for the most part, and the overall work itself is just INFINITELY more cohesive and lightyears better executed in Z than it ever is in Kai. I don't care how much someone hates Garlic Jr. or Fake Namek, NOTHING about Z is so egregiously terrible that it makes bearable the utterly lifeless hatchet job that Kai is. Nothing that isn't simply fixed by clicking "next episode" on the DVD remote at any rate.

Honestly, I'm always finding myself forced to ask: apart from the fact that the latter was cut short midway through the Freeza arc, what ultimately makes Kai in any which way better than the old Saban/Ocean version of the dub? In many ways, they're almost identical products, as both are just shoddily edited to whittle down episode count (content or fidelity to the manga be damned), both are heavily censored, both feature entire sequences that are glaringly/poorly redrawn, both feature questionable voice acting (outside of the FUNi recasts) and both feature bland, forgettable replacement music (though I understand I'm in the minority on that one).

End of the day, all Kai amounts to for me is Toei's official version of what Saban and FUNi did to the series in the mid/late 90s, except it makes its way farther into the series past the Ginyu fight. And yet what was once sacrilege and awful back then when a U.S. studio does it is now a-ok when Toei does it? Yeah, bullshit. Kai sucks and is 100% unsalvageable and indefensible as it stands. I get that there are people out there who BADLY want a manga-cut of the anime and who also badly want a version of the English dub where the FUNimation cast "redeems" themselves.

But Kai is neither of these things, as it generally doesn't even TRY to be a "manga cut" and the FUNi cast ultimately proved here that they're only at their best when they're recast completely from scratch (ala Freeza and Gohan) since the overwhelming majority of the Sabat/Schemmel crew just NEVER fit or suited these characters at all from day one, and most fans (on average) are simply clinging on desperately to them and doing apologetics for them out of stubborn sentimental nostalgia.

Its a worst of all possible worlds scenario, and I see almost no value or merit in its existence outside of I suppose grabbing more new/younger fans into the fold. Beyon that, all it succeeds in being is a watered down ADHD version for short attention spans. Which is EXACTLY what we'd all at one time vilified the old Saban-edited dub for being, and rightly so.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:04 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: the Saban-like censorship (and no, I'm not talking about the Nicktoons shit: I mean even in the actual "raw" Japanese eps),
Like two especially gory scenes got edited down, some scenes of characters flipping the bird, and some baby penis. Is that really compared to all blood removed, death doesn't exist they just go to the next dimension, I can see their parachutes they're okay!, "hurt" Nameks, Dende's family is still alive, Go to HFIL!, etc??

Hell, the 4kids broadcast edit wasn't as bad as the Saban censorship. VERY CLOSE but not as bad. Well no scratch that in some ways the 4kids broadcast version was worse but at least it still had Kai's more faithful script and no more next dimension stuff. Death was more implied than denied.

For all these reasons (and plenty more), I'm forever dumbfounded as to how anyone can prefer Kai over Z.
To be fair I think most people who prefer Kai over Z prefer it because of the English dub? And Kai's english dub carries over some of Japanese Kai's baggage but it has the best performance the Funimation cast ever gave, and a much more faithful script no more ALLY TO GOOD NIGHTMARE TO YOU!!!

To me the Yamamoto score is superior to the Falcouner score even if its mostly ahem borrowed. And the voice actors may not fit but at least they're good performances and not embarrassing to listen to anymore.I imagine if I was strictly a fan of the Japanese version first I'd...have less kind words about Kai.

Yes, Z has some shitty bits of filler: but they're EASILY skippable for the most part, and the overall work itself is just INFINITELY more cohesive and lightyears better executed in Z than it ever is in Kai. I don't care how much someone hates Garlic Jr. or Fake Namek, NOTHING about Z is so egregiously terrible that it makes bearable the utterly lifeless hatchet job that Kai is. Nothing that isn't simply fixed by clicking "next episode" on the DVD remote at any rate.
Or in the case of Goku vs Freeza abusing that fast foward button.
Honestly, I'm always finding myself forced to ask: apart from the fact that the latter was cut short midway through the Freeza arc, what ultimately makes Kai in any which way better than the old Saban/Ocean version of the dub? In many ways, they're almost identical products, as both are just shoddily edited to whittle down episode count (content or fidelity to the manga be damned), both are heavily censored, both feature entire sequences that are glaringly/poorly redrawn, both feature questionable voice acting (outside of the FUNi recasts) and both feature bland, forgettable replacement music (though I understand I'm in the minority on that one).
I like the Saban/Ocea dub myself...

Ocean cast>Funi cast in Z tbh

The censorship in Kai is nowhere near comparable to what Saban/Ocean/Funi did
End of the day, all Kai amounts to for me is Toei's official version of what Saban and FUNi did to the series in the mid/late 90s, except it makes its way farther into the series past the Ginyu fight. And yet what was once sacrilege and awful back then when a U.S. studio does it is now a-ok when Toei does it? Yeah, bullshit. Kai sucks and is 100% unsalvageable and indefensible as it stands. I get that there are people out there who BADLY want a manga-cut of the anime and who also badly want a version of the English dub where the FUNimation cast "redeems" themselves.
Because other than cutting extra gunk that doesn't really matter (and Saban still left A LOT in considering they kept Fake Namek, Bulma vs giant and stuff) that was about it?
. Beyon that, all it succeeds in being is a watered down ADHD version for short attention spans. Which is EXACTLY what we'd all at one time vilified the old Saban-edited dub for being, and rightly so.
Because if you don't like how original uncut Z draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggsssss
for no reason other than to stall for the sake of the manga not falling behind often in the most uncreative ways possible (filler isn't bad fundamentally, the Z filler is mostly awful) it's because of ADHD and a short attention span? There's totally justifiable criticism against Kai and the Saban dub but really cutting a bunch of extra pointless unimaginative gunk wasn't among them.

Even if you watch Z and skip all the filler episodes you still have to see the dragged out plot episodes and the episodes that are otherwise filler but have like a scene or two that's crucial from the manga.

Really I think the Saban dub does a mostly good job of meeting halfway
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:18 am

Ocean had nothing to do with the censorship, they simply did the voice acting. Some of their voice actors did write the scripts for the episodes, and unlike what ignorant people say, those voice actors didn't intentionally butcher the scripts, they were basically following Saban and Funimation's guidelines.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:24 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Ocean had nothing to do with the censorship, they simply did the voice acting. Some of their voice actors did write the scripts for the episodes, and unlike what ignorant people say, those voice actors didn't intentionally butcher the scripts, they were basically following Saban and Funimation's guidelines.
Cool story, nobody was blaming Ocean for the censorship? But it was still partially their dub that's why me, and I'm assuming Kunzait, are calling it the Ocean/Saban or Ocean/Saban/Funi dub.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:18 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Because if you don't like how original uncut Z draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggsssss
for no reason other than to stall for the sake of the manga not falling behind often in the most uncreative ways possible (filler isn't bad fundamentally, the Z filler is mostly awful) it's because of ADHD and a short attention span? There's totally justifiable criticism against Kai and the Saban dub but really cutting a bunch of extra pointless unimaginative gunk wasn't among them.
You're making it sound like both Kai and Saban cut stuff that was nothing but pointless filler, when fact is both cut actual material from the manga (some of it fairly important, especially in Saban's case) while in many cases (as you yourself noted) leaving IN pointless filler. If you really cared about being more faithful to the manga and not having to sit through any kind of filler, you'd be taking both Kai and Saban thoroughly to task over this. Like I said before, I'm all in favor of a manga-faithful version of a DB anime: but that isn't what either Kai or the Saban dub are. Both of them are haphazard edits that mindlessly chop and hack away footage without any regard for things like atmosphere, tension, or even content that's actually from the manga and important to the plot.

That's the reason that I call the Kai cut (and by extension, the Saban dub) the "ADHD" version: because the edits weren't smarty or carefully chosen, they were done with the SOLE purpose of making the series zip by as fast-forward quickly as possible. And personally, I don't give two shits about what moves faster just for the sake of moving faster: I care about what's most effective for a given scene. If a quicker pace makes a scene more effective, then great. If a slower build up works better, then fine. But neither Kai nor Saban make those kinds of distinctions: everything is "move to the next scene now, RIGHT NOW, before dumb the little snot nosed brats lose interest". Its about speed overriding everything else, including distinguishing between important manga content and pointless filler, as well as allowing certain scenes room to breathe and build more organically.

In other words, the show is paced (and scored, and in the case of either dub, acted) like exactly the kind of dumbed down Saturday morning cartoon shit that DB was notable for NOT behaving like. You lose any semblance of a cinematic feel, of a Spaghetti Western/Wuxia/Chanbara-like tension and everything is just made to beat you over the head and drag you through each episode as lightning-fast as possible, content or execution be damned.

If Z's issue was being too slow, then Kai's is MUCH too fast. Or at least its fast without making any kinds of distinction for things like preserving the manga's material and preserving directorial intent for certain key anime scenes. The Raditz fight in Z for example is one of the series' best directed and most unforgettable action scenes, and in Kai its just... there.

For all of Z's faults, it at least presents a consistent and cohesive work. I'll take having intermittent slow or pointless filler stretches (that I can easily skip past if I'm feeling impatient) over the litany of stupid shit one has to deal with in Kai or Saban (where it in no way even feels like its the same show) any given day. For every Fake Namek or Five Minutes, I get excellent Shaw-inspired music, stellar acting across the board, and some fantastic directing that sets an unbelievably distinct tone that feels like a demented Chinese storybook come to life. I find it thoroughly inexplicable why anyone would want to trade that kind of unique identity for the series to more closely resemble any number of shitty, bargain basement "action cartoons" that are out there and are a dime a dozen.

Again don't misunderstand: I don't hold the Z anime up as some flawless work of perfection, and I would LOVE a properly and lovingly done manga-fied do-over of the anime. But Kai GROSSLY dropped the ball on being that, and none of the Z original's faults come anywhere CLOSE to overriding Kai's utter lack of justification for existing in the way that it does.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:08 am

I honestly had no idea Kai was that bad... I've taken the Z route both times in me watching the show because I do want to see everything. I do feel as if Namek especially dragged on, and I felt like it was dragged on too much just like everyone else was. I was getting bored there. Android saga, though, not so much and now I'm in the Buu saga and it's fine. Still worth watching though!
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:18 am

Banana wrote:I honestly had no idea Kai was that bad... I've taken the Z route both times in me watching the show because I do want to see everything. I do feel as if Namek especially dragged on, and I felt like it was dragged on too much just like everyone else was. I was getting bored there. Android saga, though, not so much and now I'm in the Buu saga and it's fine. Still worth watching though!
I watched Kai right after Dragon Ball and without memories of DBZ outside of vagueties, and I thought it was great. The chess game that takes place over Namek with the Dragon Balls was especially compelling, and the voice actors have a much better grasp of how to perform their characters for both serious situations and silly ones. In regards to the pacing, I didn't mind it at all and thought it was pretty good; I liked the velocity and momentum that was there and it was a blast.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:21 am

Banana wrote:I honestly had no idea Kai was that bad... I've taken the Z route both times in me watching the show because I do want to see everything. I do feel as if Namek especially dragged on, and I felt like it was dragged on too much just like everyone else was. I was getting bored there. Android saga, though, not so much and now I'm in the Buu saga and it's fine. Still worth watching though!
I wouldn't say Kai is as awful as Kunzait is make it out to seem. If you enjoy the dub Kai its really good and i would suggest it. Ill let know right now, nothing in dragon ball is perfect when it comes to the anime. No perfect release exist, it really is pick your poison.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink: