Re-watching the entire anime, do you get bored?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re-watching the entire anime, do you get bored?

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:36 am

So I've been re-watching the entirety of the anime. Now, I love this show to bits, but holy cow can it get boring. I know this isn't exactly new information, of course. I'm currently at the point where Cell achieves his perfect form, beats Vegeta down, and now he's fighting Ultra Grade 3 Ascended Super Saiyan Trunks. It's like, please, something interesting happen. It didn't help that the pre-fight for Trunks vs Cell (when Trunks was stalling to give Kuririn time to get Vegeta away) had that awful triangle type animation, or however you describe it.

And not to mention the classic long panning shots with characters staring each other down. Oh, and the constant cut-aways to Roshi and the gang at Kame House freaking out over the fight. The Goku and Gohan sections are keeping me entertained though. Especially when Gohan first transforms to Super Saiyan, the scene where he's blocking the Kamehameha in base form and then it cuts to a sort of mental state of Gohan where he's just standing there, remembering his past shortcomings, only for it to switch quickly again to him blocking the Kamehameha back in reality was a joy to watch. And it's a scene Kai totally ruins by its quick editing. >:/

Anyway, this isn't a rant, just kind of a funny thing I've been going though lately. Anyone else feel this when they re-watch? Or do you not even re-watch everything anymore and just skip to your favorite parts?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Re-watching the entire anime, do you get bored?

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:00 am

Dragon Ball was made with the mindset that it would not be all available on home video, so while things drag out, it stayed interesting enough if watched every once a week or so without knowing what will happen next was enough intrigue to come back for the next, no matter how slow the episodes might be. Even because of the long periods between episodes, difference in animation style is harder to spot, nor would most care. Seeing it back to back now on-demand, then the flaws become very noticeable.

Also, as this is now an older show, things used to be much slower paced. Many modern audiences do not have the patience to keep watching. Personally, most films or TV shows are way too fast paced for me to invest and care about what's going on these days (I love Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but the anime BLASTED through the first two parts, which is a shame). So, in hindsight, Dragon Ball seems more boring and drawn out when compared to current stuff.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:21 am

I could never see myself watching the original DBZ back to back anymore, I don't have time for it. Fortunately, that's what Kai's for. I just wish that had started from the beginning instead of from Z; the Dragon Ball anime wasn't as bad for filler, but there were definitely spots that could have used a trim. Plus, it would have been nice to have gotten a better dub.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:25 am

I get bored during the Freeza fight (because it goes on for too long), the Garlic Jr. arc and the very beginning of the Cell arc, and I get bored with portions of the Buu Saga after the Saiyaman stuff. I still need to finish Kai but perhaps it will solve my issue with the pacing in later portions. I am sad though that that version may take out some of the filler material that I enjoyed.

So yes, I do get bored. I try to space out my viewings so that I don't feel burnt out though.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:55 am

DBZ can be a goddamn slog to get through at times, mainly because for a lot of instances, nothing interesting happens. There are enough good moments to make it worthwhile the watch, but holy shit, the show takes its sweet ass time getting to those moments.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:01 am

I re-watch the original DB (minus the filler episodes) and Kai once every 2 years or so but not all at once as that would get very boring, an arc every month or so keeps things interesting and "new". I don't include GT in it and I'm not sure if I'll include Super in it either.

Toriyama's original manga is one of my all time favorite stories so it's always exciting regardless of how many times I see it. :mrgreen:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:06 am

I won't be doing a rewatch for quite some time, but no I don't get bored, except at certain points (e.g. fake Namek, wedding dress filler, much of Cell fighting on that island). I've rewatched DB enough and it's time to start watching other shows.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:03 am

I've been going through the show myself, I'm currently at the Gohan be Dabura fight. I wouldn't say I'm bored but it is slow paced at times.

I find it'd be less boring to rewatch Super. If Super had Z's pacing then it would have been as long as Z.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:27 am

Bullza wrote:I've been going through the show myself, I'm currently at the Gohan be Dabura fight. I wouldn't say I'm bored but it is slow paced at times.

I find it'd be less boring to rewatch Super. If Super had Z's pacing then it would have been as long as Z.
I will admit, despite being in my opinion an inferior show, it's a lot easier to sit and re-watch Super. Well, everything after U6 anyway.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:19 am

I’ve been on another watch-through (DB/Z/GT) since about November, and I’m on the episode where Buu beats the holy Hell out of Dabura. I’d say the only times I got bored were during the Pirate Cave crap, and the latter half of the Frieza fight, post-Super Saiyan transformation. Even the afterlife tournament, which used to bore me to tears, was kind of fun to watch this time around.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:49 am

Not really, though I've found re-watching for the sake of re-watching is a bad idea. Make sure you genuinely want to sit through 444 episodes or more. Also, when I re-watch Dragon Ball I almost always binge it. I feel like getting through more episodes in a shorter amount of time kind of makes up for the slow pacing to some extent because I generally don't have the same issues with the pacing that everyone else does.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Z for sure. A mix between work and being well bored made me stop Ajay's community rewatch and I said I'll jump back in once DBS ends... But to be honest I can't be bothered. Like I posted a few times in those threads I'd find myself playing my 3DS more times then not because I just didn't want to pay attention to the screen anymore.

The Cell arc is the peak of boredom for me. Around November of last year I decided to re-watch it via Kai and each day I would watch less and less episodes and around the time the Cell started absorbing I just eventually stopped watching and decided my time was better spent watching other anime.

The Manga up to the end of the Freeza arc is fairly good but sadly the anime completely butchers everything, my opinion on the Z anime adaptation diminishes every time I rewatch it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:55 pm

I didn't get bored re-watching DB!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm

DB - Never. It's a delight from start to finish, and while there are a few filler episodes that are definite low points, I never get bored with them, they're just not as good as what surrounds them. Really, IMO, DB has no outright bad filler, just a handful of times where a full-episode filler was pretty meh, and ultimately, the show is paced pretty well -- especially early on -- so I've always thought it held up great.

Z - Sure, in parts of the Namek arc. Rest is slow, but I think the slow pace works, it just doesn't jive too well with modern sensibilities, though I'd argue most of that isn't an issue if you started in the original series, since you'll be used to it being a more easygoing series. Namek is the only time the show gets boring IMO, and only in parts, mainly due to just how bad some of that filler was. Though IMO the entire Goku vs Ginyu ordeal gets very tiresome, though that's mostly just down to my personal distaste for bodyswap stories that aren't done exceptionally well.

Kai does fix most of the Namek issue(I still find the bodyswap with Ginyu to be a bit boring), but I don't think it really fixes anything else, it just does things differently in such a way that modern audiences may have an easier time getting to grips with its faster pace. I'd probably be a lot more positive about it if it wasn't for the shenanigans about the music and the Boo arc, though. :lol:

GT - Episodes 2, 6, 7, 8, 30, and 31 are a slog, but the rest is fine. In theory, the Super #17 is a stupid arc, but I have a fun time watching it; it's quite short, and it basically is just 5 episodes of nicely-animated fanservice. If it was longer, it would definitely be an utter slog, and I'd probably be as critical of it as I am to Super, since it shares many of Super's flaws, but as it is, it's just a kinda dumb 5-episode diversion. So, really only episodes 2, 6-8, and 30-31 are the difficult parts.

I've only seen Super once, and even then, I stopped after episode 102, so I can't comment on that with anything definite.
But, there were several places I was quite bored watching the first time, to be honest, so I imagine they'd be pretty unbearable in a rewatch. But, since I've only seen any of this once, and I've basically just wrote this out for completionism's sake, especially since this thread seems mostly focused on the original 1986-1997 anime run, and of course, since I don't want to derail this into yet another "Robo is hating on Super again. Why is he wrong or right?" discussion, I've put it in a spoiler tag.
[spoiler]The title fight of Battle Of Gods, which I felt dragged on way too long for what it was, tons of parts of Resurrection F, as the plot was pretty predictable, so the dramatic reveals and such just felt like they were dragged out too much, the Magetta fight from the U6 tournament felt a bit too long, Potaufeu got dull after Jelly Vegeta appeared, the fights in the final trip to the future in the Black arc felt like they went on too long, the "Whose wish will be granted" filler felt superfluous, the Goku vs Hit 2-parter was really dull, and both the Gohan and Videl 2-parter and the entire buildup to the Tournament Of Power were about twice as long as they needed to be.

Honestly, most of this is down to the inconsistent pacing of Super; with several episodes breezing by, then suddenly a chunk comes along that just doesn't move at all, some episodes move along great for half their length, then suddenly slow to a crawl... I honestly think a fan edit could repair a lot of the dragginess that bothered me. It'd still suffer from its writing problems, but with a breezier pace, its flaws would be less pronounced, as they'd be on screen for less time, and the good stuff wouldn't wear out its welcome.
Maybe I'll try that someday when I have the time, and when my cynicism about Super has cooled down.[/spoiler]
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:42 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:I’d say the only times I got bored were during the Pirate Cave crap
I remember going through that for T1C and being genuinely shocked that they literally just flipped the first gantry running sequence to have Goku go the other way. Stupid pirate robot...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:51 pm

KBABZ wrote:
PacificOceanDub wrote:I’d say the only times I got bored were during the Pirate Cave crap
I remember going through that for T1C and being genuinely shocked that they literally just flipped the first gantry running sequence to have Goku go the other way. Stupid pirate robot...
... I love the pirate cave stuff... >_>
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
... I love the pirate cave stuff... >_>
I found the stuff with the pirate robot specifically to be a drag.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:23 am

I just skip to my favorite parts for now. In the future, I would like to re-watch the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT, but it takes time that I don't have at the moment. I know I'll be able to do it if I just pace it out far, but that'll end up taking quiiiiite a while. There's also me thinking that I should re-watch all three shows (Super not included) in the original Japanese, but I'm still wondering on that because that'll take even more time. I also wonder how much attention it'll require, because it tends to be tougher for me to pay attention to subs in addition to what's occurring, but I already know what's going to happen in most of the shows. Oh! This last one is probably silly, but I also want to watch the Ocean Dub for every scene that has Goten. :lol:
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:31 am

the anime has always bored me lol. just, way too slow paced.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm

I just recently went through the original Dragon Ball from start to finish. It was my first time seeing the last two Piccolo arcs completely uncut and in Japanese so I was pretty entertained throughout. I had already read the manga so I knew what was going to happen. The only point where I got bored was final filler arc before Z started because it was a complete waste of time. It wasn't even funny. Nice to know that Goku didn't invite any of his friends to his wedding. It was a lot funnier in the manga where he just grabs Chichi, disappears for four years, and then shows up with a four year old kid.