Do you think Dragon Ball would have a need to took inspiration from others franchises ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball would have a need to took inspiration from others franchises ?

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:24 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:I really would need to watch this because speaking in general terms isn't helping. After watching The Flash for the past few seasons, I'm not the biggest fan of multiverse stories.
What DB is doing isn't the same thing.
Please be more specific.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball would have a need to took inspiration from others franchises ?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 pm

ABED wrote:
sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:I really would need to watch this because speaking in general terms isn't helping. After watching The Flash for the past few seasons, I'm not the biggest fan of multiverse stories.
What DB is doing isn't the same thing.
Please be more specific.
Each universe is distinct.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:00 pm

And how is that different from The Flash?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:02 pm

ABED wrote:
And how is that different from The Flash?
The Flash (and really, the DCU in general) treats the multiverse as various alternate histories. "Its the same Earth as our Earth, but THIS specific event happened differently and affected everything else." type of thing.

Dragon Ball Super's multiverse isn't really like that at all. What it essentially is is 12 different universes that are, for the most part, largely divorced from one another in terms of what kinds of worlds and races they contain.

The only wrinkle to this is that each universe comes in "pairs". Two of each of the universes are "mirrors" of one another. For instance Universe 7 (our main Universe we've been following Goku and co. throughout since the beginning) and Universe 6 are twin universes in that they share races and planets in common with one another (Saiya-jin, Namekians, etc). The same goes for all the other universes: one of each is a "mirror" to that universe that shares some commonalities.

But beyond the "mirror" aspect (which only applies to two universes at a time) and the fact that every universe has their own distinct pantheon of Kaio, Kaioshin, Hakaishin, and Angels governing them, all the different universes are otherwise wholly unlike one another. There isn't that alternate history component of "everything's the same as our world, but this ONE crucial event happened differently, which causes a butterfly effect that ripples and impacts everything else" like with DC's multiverse.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:all the different universes are otherwise wholly unlike one another.
At least on paper. A shame they have done literally nothing with the concept to make each universe feel unique. The characters could have been relegated to a planet or galaxy inside U7 and you'd still feel like they fit just as well.

At least the multiverse helps get rid of the pitfall GT fell into: of finding stronger opponents than Majin Boo and Freeza to fight that have a logical reason to exist and to have never appeared before.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Goku and Vegeta have gotten so strong, if the series is going to keep following them, the writers will need to look elsewhere. They already have, Hit's Time Skip Ability is just the beginning. Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Naruto, and Western Superhero Comics. That's where they will be going for more ideas on abilities besides punching and shooting ki going forward.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks guys for the clarification.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 am

FoolsGil wrote:Goku and Vegeta have gotten so strong, if the series is going to keep following them, the writers will need to look elsewhere. They already have, Hit's Time Skip Ability is just the beginning. Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Naruto, and Western Superhero Comics. That's where they will be going for more ideas on abilities besides punching and shooting ki going forward.
This right here is DB's characters biggest weakness, Their power levels is what defins them, not their abilities. If each character had something truly special to them then you wouldn't have characters left behind as they'd have more to offer that makes up for their base power weakness.

Look at One Piece for example, Luffy is by far the strongest of his crew yet he needs each and every one of them to reach his goals because of their unique abilities. Goku on the other hand generally speaking can get everything done on his own, especially with UI.

In terms of Goku and Vegeta, they need to differenciate them from one another instead of one just following what the other does. Same goes for the others, Piccolo is a very unique character in that he's a namakian so why don't they give him things only a namakian can do ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:34 am

DB has always drawn from other stories in pop culture. It drew from Journey to the West, Superman, the Terminator, and many other tales.

Recently, DBS Hit was a clear homage to Jotaro Kujo, in dress, attitude and power. He has turned out to be fairly popular with fans.

The question is, what can it use in its own saga that could be adapted to fit? That will be a subjective matter that can divide fans.

I'd like to see a DB version of a Transformer, a Gurren Lagaan (which would actually fit in), a blood-drinking vampire (Alucard), a Noble Phantasm (Fate), and maybe a Soul Society (from Bleach).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:23 am

Dragon Ball has always drawn from other works, so I imagine that will simply continue as a result of the fact that as leadership slides into the hands of other creators it will continue to be exposed to new ideas. We've already seen this with how Series Director Nakamura Ryouta takes inspiration from Hollywood films, after all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 am

sintzu wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Goku and Vegeta have gotten so strong, if the series is going to keep following them, the writers will need to look elsewhere. They already have, Hit's Time Skip Ability is just the beginning. Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Naruto, and Western Superhero Comics. That's where they will be going for more ideas on abilities besides punching and shooting ki going forward.
This right here is DB's characters biggest weakness, Their power levels is what defins them, not their abilities. If each character had something truly special to them then you wouldn't have characters left behind as they'd have more to offer that makes up for their base power weakness.

Look at One Piece for example, Luffy is by far the strongest of his crew yet he needs each and every one of them to reach his goals because of their unique abilities. Goku on the other hand generally speaking can get everything done on his own, especially with UI.

In terms of Goku and Vegeta, they need to differenciate them from one another instead of one just following what the other does. Same goes for the others, Piccolo is a very unique character in that he's a namakian so why don't they give him things only a namakian can do ?
For abilties and skills to come into play more the power of other characters needs to be raised. However the problem is that the Saiyans are kept as the only race that can get stronger all the time. Toriyama also considers SSB to be very special as most characters are very weak compared to this as you can tell by a lot of characters in the tournament.

Saiyans also don't really use abilities either so we just see ki blasts and punching constantly.

Jiren got as strong as he is just by training by himself and there is no reason why others can't do the same. Toriyama can have weaker characters do some new form of training that allows them to get more powerful or they get something unique to there race. Then abilities can come into play more often instead of just being overpowered.

It is so easy and is badly needed as essentially everyone apart from Universe 11 is irrelevant when the strongest fighters from Universe 7 are involved.

At least Goku can't access Ultra Instinct easily which is a start at keeping others closer to him. The rate that Saiyans improve also needs to be toned down.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 am

sintzu wrote:

The only thing they did to differentiate Piccolo from the others was repeatedly cutting off his arms :lol:
Get Fucked, C_unt

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: For abilties and skills to come into play more the power of other characters needs to be raised. However the problem is that the Saiyans are kept as the only race that can get stronger all the time. Toriyama also considers SSB to be very special as most characters are very weak compared to this as you can tell byva loy of characters in the tournament.

That's not necessarily true. If Botamo would actually take time to learn how to fight, no one would stop him. And Dyspo may be weak compared to a lot of the top fighters, but by sheer speed kept up with all of them.
Jiren got as strong as he his just by training by himself and there is no reason why others can't do the same. Toriyama can have weaker characters do some new form of training that allows them to get more powerful or they get something unique to that character's race. Then abilities can come into play more often instead of just being overpowered.
When does it start getting boring and a tad unbelievable? Goku and Vegeta are now strong enough to warp universes at 100%. What's next, an enemy that can warp 2 universes at 100%?

You may not agree, but Toei has already started looking at ways to make things beyond punching and ki attacks. Yes, characters like Jiren will always be around. But it won't be just them, not anymore.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 am

FoolsGil wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: Jiren got as strong as he his just by training by himself and there is no reason why others can't do the same. Toriyama can have weaker characters do some new form of training that allows them to get more powerful or they get something unique to that character's race. Then abilities can come into play more often instead of just being overpowered.
When does it start getting boring and a tad unbelievable? Goku and Vegeta are now strong enough to warp universes at 100%. What's next, an enemy that can warp 2 universes at 100%?

You may not agree, but Toei has already started looking at ways to make things beyond punching and ki attacks. Yes, characters like Jiren will always be around. But it won't be just them, not anymore.
I want more variety but what I said is that the abilities of characters will be more useful if the power gap is not as wide. I also said if Jiren is strong then others can get strong as well so the gap can be closed and abilties of characters will come into play.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:44 pm

sintzu wrote:Piccolo is a very unique character in that he's a namakian so why don't they give him things only a namakian can do ?
I wouldn't mind having transformation for namekian like following this concept
https://teoma-the-naraotor.deviantart.c ... -722586624

Also I think there is some idea from Dragon Ball GT that can be brought back into the main canon. Like Majuub or the SSJ4.
DragonBallFoodie wrote:I'd like to see a DB version of a Transformer, a Gurren Lagaan (which would actually fit in), a blood-drinking vampire (Alucard), a Noble Phantasm (Fate), and maybe a Soul Society (from Bleach).
Speaking of inspiration I think there is more that Dragon Ball can takes from into DC Comics, also can you explain your Soul Society idea ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:The only thing they did to differentiate Piccolo from the others was repeatedly cutting off his arms :lol:
That's something I guess. :lol:

That is a great ability that if used right can really cause a lot of problems for a villain as it'd be harder to keep him down.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:The only thing they did to differentiate Piccolo from the others was repeatedly cutting off his arms :lol:

That is a great ability that if used right can really cause a lot of problems for a villain as it'd be harder to keep him down.
Now that I think about it, the ToP should have ended with one of Piccolo's arms catching Jiren off guard, and blasting him out of bounds :lol: :lol: Now that's a Toryiama unexpected twist
Get Fucked, C_unt

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Now that I think about it, the ToP should have ended with one of Piccolo's arms catching Jiren off guard, and blasting him out of bounds :lol: :lol: Now that's a Toryiama unexpected twist
This is exactly what I wanted to happen especially after what happened in episode 88 against Gohan. :)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Do you mean Piccolo being able to control the arms he lost while out of the ring ? that would've been really funny. :clap:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Speaking of inspiration I think there is more that Dragon Ball can takes from into DC Comics, also can you explain your Soul Society idea ?
http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Society

"Soul Society (尸魂界 (ソウル・ソサエティ) is an afterlife (also called the spirit world). This is also where Shinigami (guardians of the souls) live and where most Souls dwell until they are reincarnated into the Human World."

Something similar to a society for gods, because now Goku and Vegeta are on their level. (Maybe King Yamma lives there?)

And what exactly do you have in mind that DB could draw from DC Comics?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.