Do you think Dragon Ball would have a need to took inspiration from others franchises ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball would have a need to took inspiration from others franchises ?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Speaking of inspiration I think there is more that Dragon Ball can takes from into DC Comics, also can you explain your Soul Society idea ?
http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Society

"Soul Society (尸魂界 (ソウル・ソサエティ) is an afterlife (also called the spirit world). This is also where Shinigami (guardians of the souls) live and where most Souls dwell until they are reincarnated into the Human World."

Something similar to a society for gods, because now Goku and Vegeta are on their level. (Maybe King Yamma lives there?)

And what exactly do you have in mind that DB could draw from DC Comics?
So something developing something from this character

This is shroom and he is a shinigami god of death seen in Super Dragon Ball Heroes.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball would have a need to took inspiration from others franchises ?

Post by Dragono » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:15 am

ABED wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:If it comes to storytelling, then, why not? There have been many Shonen manga and anime since Dragon Ball's time that have told better stories, and there's no harm fro borrowing some narrative concepts that have been used in better Shonen.
There have been better stories but I think there's a risk when borrowing concepts as it can end up as just a cheap copy of the original. What DB should do is follow what others have done in terms of world building and character usage. The foundation is there as DB has great characters and a huge world but for some reason it's yet to fully utilize them in the way other stories utilize theirs.
DB takes plenty of story concepts from other stories. Hell, it started off loosely based on Journey to the West.

Forget about world building. It's an overrated concept that many place too much importance on instead of concentrating on story.

Great writers use other stories as influences. Hell, even Shakespeare's stories were often unoriginal in terms of plot.
One Piece is the best selling manga of all time and its mainly because of its world building.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:43 am

I truly doubt that and I haven't even read it. People care about stories and characters, not worlds. No series can sustain the audience's interest for that long based on world building.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.