Does anyone own Dragon Ball: The Complete Illustrations?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Does anyone own Dragon Ball: The Complete Illustrations?

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 pm

I see it on Amazon and it could potentially be cool but it doesn't show anything but the cover and I can't seem to find much on it. I don't really trust Amazon reviews either. Is it worth owning?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does anyone own Dragon Ball: The Complete Illustrations?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 am

Forte224 wrote:I see it on Amazon and it could potentially be cool but it doesn't show anything but the cover and I can't seem to find much on it. I don't really trust Amazon reviews either. Is it worth owning?
I have the English Daizenshuu #1: Complete Illustrations, and IMO it's very cool. It's just like the Japanese Daizenshuu #1, and functions much like an art book. It's amazing having straight cut Toriyama art goodness in an entire book. The only downside is that it was published right after the manga ended in 1995, so there's a significant amount of artwork from over the years that isn't covered, including GT art and the Kanzenban pieces, among many others.

This is where the Chōgashū comes in, as it's basically Daizenshuu #1 but going up to 2013, so it includes a lot more artwork and renders D-#1 a fun relic. As a comparison, D-#1 has 265 illustrations, while the Chōgashū has over 400.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:00 am

Huh...too bad it only covers up to that point, but that's mainly what I'd be interested anyway. Thanks!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:33 am

Forte224 wrote:Huh...too bad it only covers up to that point, but that's mainly what I'd be interested anyway. Thanks!
No problem! It's a great flip-through, but I do really want the Chogashu as well.

It's also worth noting that Daizenshuu #1 DID in fact get an official western release; I picked mine up in this wonderful Japanese book store in New York while I was visiting.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm

I got it somewhat discounted on Amazon and I really dig it. Just a very nice collection of well-printed and produced classic Toriyama art. I literally had it as my "coffee table book" for a while and I'd flip through it pretty regularly.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

I love it. Dating back to 1998, the popular thing in my school was to go on the ultra-primitive internet and print out pictures of Dragon Ball and put them in a folder. I always found unusual pictures such as Goku on a motorcycle, pretty cool group shots, etc. This book is pretty much a really high quality version of my old folder.

My only peeve -- which I feel could have totally been avoided -- is when they spread one picture across two pages and you get that break in the middle. I'd rather they'd just make the image smaller (especially since the book itself is big) and fit it on one page. Other than that, I love the thing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:My only peeve -- which I feel could have totally been avoided -- is when they spread one picture across two pages and you get that break in the middle. I'd rather they'd just make the image smaller (especially since the book itself is big) and fit it on one page. Other than that, I love the thing.
I agree. This isn't a comic book here, you can't see 100% of each page, more like 90%, so there's a bit in the middle that you'll only see if you're willing to put strain on the book's spine. I mean, there's a reason why comics/manga have a wider margin on the inside edge!

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 am

The Complete Illustrations is definitely worth a buy if you're into Toriyama's art, Only thing is there isn't that much in there that you can't get in the Artbook that Viz translated apart from some recent stuff he drew like Dragon Box illustrations and Kanzeban covers I think. There's some Battle of Gods stuff too. I'd recommend Toriyama's The World as well, it has some early DragonBall stuff but it also has some of the illustrations he did for Dr. Slump as well as some from Dragon Quest as well. It has some photos and sketches of some models he designed too. But if it's only DragonBall you're into better off going with the Complete Illustrations.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Huh...too bad it only covers up to that point, but that's mainly what I'd be interested anyway. Thanks!
No problem! It's a great flip-through, but I do really want the Chogashu as well.

It's also worth noting that Daizenshuu #1 DID in fact get an official western release; I picked mine up in this wonderful Japanese book store in New York while I was visiting.
Yeah I got the us release of the first daizenshuu. the rest are the Japanese versions. I didn't bother getting the releases that just showed cards though.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 pm

I do. It's pretty cool.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Bryesque wrote:I got it somewhat discounted on Amazon and I really dig it. Just a very nice collection of well-printed and produced classic Toriyama art. I literally had it as my "coffee table book" for a while and I'd flip through it pretty regularly.
Damn, that reminds me that I still need a coffee table.

But seriously though, these all sound like good replies. I think I'll go ahead and get it.