Anime influence manga reading and elsewhere?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Anime influence manga reading and elsewhere?

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Probably this has been asked before, but does the anime influence any of you guys' reading the manga when it comes to voices? Basically when one is reading the DB manga in English for example, do you hear the Funimation dub actors or other English dub actors when reading it, or do you hear the Japanese actors' voices when reading it, in accented English? For those reading in other languages, a similar question with your native dubs, just used the Funimation example for native English speakers reading in English. Also does animation influence how you read other comics be they Western or Eastern comics? For example while recently reading a gn of Superman encounters with Lex Luthor, when reading his dialogue, I heard Clancy Brown's voice for him from the 90s Superman cartoon. So wondered if things were similar for reading DB, other manga, or Western comics.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Anime influence manga reading and elsewhere?

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Yeah, this is a pretty common thing. The muddled weirdness happens when you've only seen a show in Japanese only for you to read an English manga. Or inversely, reading a manga first and imagining certain English voices of characters only for the Japanese ones to weird you out when it's adapted to animation (read: what happened to me with Diamond is Unbreakable).