Piccolo Daimao death (Anime VS Manga)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Piccolo Daimao death (Anime VS Manga)

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:05 pm

It is interesting to me that Dragonball may have been a very different anime if the Dr Slump anime never occurred. In a lot of ways, the way the story pans out in the Dragonball movies may have become the main story line for the anime if Dr Slump never existed.

It amazes me how much of the success came from absolute failure. Very profound and inspiring.

EDIT: Watching Goku's "death" at the hands of Piccolo Daimao had less of an impact compared to the manga counterpart. The heartbeat sound effect used is unrecognizable to a real heartbeat, and Goku's reaction is less intense when compared to the manga. Also, the way he just stops and plops down in the anime after being blasted--with the lack of physical effects from being blasted (like flying the other direction)--just takes me out of it. I feel that scene was handled worse than Daimao's death. The manga really makes it seem like Goku was blasted backwards and nearly vaporized where the anime shows a much less intense blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue0aWGaZcsg

I remember seeing this scene after reading the manga and being disappointed on how it was handled in the anime. The manga's version is really shocking and brutal in comparison, despite the rainy atmosphere in the anime.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada